Libre scans per day?

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to be sparing on my scans, feeling guilty, almost thinking it was like another blood test and oh no not another one.
9 months on now, I just scan more and more, it's so much easiear to flatten the bg levels out.
Maybe 30 scans per day now.
What are others doing?

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to be somewhere between 28 and 38.
Nowadays I use DiaBox to send my numbers directly to my phone, so I mainly scan before injecting to open the app and make a note of my dose. Also scan before bed and upon waking up to not lose data. Librelink says I do 8 scans a day.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don’t scan. I use xDrip which receives the readings via Bluetooth every 5 minutes so I just glance at my phone.
I have never counted how many times I check but easily 20+ times per day.

Last edited:

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Like In Response I use xdrip and glance at my phone many many times a day, especially if levels aren't where I want them to be.
I scan with the reader about 20 odd times a day as well, as Libre is NHS funded, so need to prove I'm using it enough times a day. Bit of a pain, but worth it to get it on NHS.

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I need to research a bit more.
So you you can get a continouse drip feed of levels. Without a strap on to the libre2?
I was sort of hanging on for libre3.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes that's right. Sometimes the Bluetooth loses connection though, and then I just scan my phone to regain it, but it works pretty well.

Reactions: Zinadane

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, so just get the 3rd party xdrip app.
Why does the libre app not offer it then?

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@In Response I keep getting a message asking me if I want oop2 algorithm to calibrate. Have you had this, and have you said yes or no? Wasn't sure what it would do.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So you you can get a continouse drip feed of levels. Without a strap on to the libre2?

Yeah, the Libre 2 has a Bluetooth fuction making it a standalone CGM with the reader or your device.
Every 5 minutes an update. & alarms if things go wayward.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use DiaBox. At the moment the iPhone version got shut down by Abbott/Apple, so no use looking into this unless you use Android.
I have a phone running on Android, so it works for me, although not perfectly and not without hiccups.
If you use Facebook, here's a group by the makers of the app: https://www.facebook.com/groups/974278412920319/

Can't compare with xDrip as I haven't used it with the Libre2.

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Android here. Is there an up to date link on installing the xdrip hack.
Looks like it needs a new sensor to start up.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@In Response I keep getting a message asking me if I want oop2 algorithm to calibrate. Have you had this, and have you said yes or no? Wasn't sure what it would do.
I use Libre 2 with OOP2 and xDrip+ on an Android phone.
I use OOP2 to hijack the Bluetooth signal from Libre 2 for xDrip+ and nothing else.

I calibrate at least once a day regardless of OOP2 so never get the message you mention.
For me, the ability to calibrate the Libre readings is important to give me confidence in the sensor.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

What you would need is the latest Abbott Libre app.
The OOP2 apk which acts as a jailbreak so the Libre can talk to or Xdrip to interpret the data algorithm from the Libre.

I have to admit, I've switched & been using Diabox too when I changed to the L2.. It cuts out the "middleman" with the Oop2 apk & is more stable with connection on my old android phone.
& to be fair, it's recently had a new version update with a couple of new features, giving it a more X drippy vibe..?

I rate both apps but Diabox is less of a faff. & It can be calibrated. Though, to be fair. Since using the L2 I've not needed to calibrate either.? I'm satisfied if the reading is within 0.6mmol of my meter..

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What you would need is the latest Abbott Libre app.
Why?
I only use LibreLink to start my sensor and then Force Close it.
I keep it in case xDrip+ reports a weird reading so I can confirm whether it is xDrip+ or Libre that is misbehaving.
But there is no reason to have the absolute latest version of LibreLink to do this - just a version which can start the Libre 2 sensor.

There are a number of different approaches to using xDrip with Libre 2 without a separate transmitter. These only work with the European version of Libre 2. It does not work with thebUS or Australian version.
The OOP2 version worked first time for me so i didn’t bother investigating patching any official apps.

There have been reports of problems, especially with Samsung phones. I don’t know if this is because Samsung is the most common smart phone manufacturer so statistically more likely to have issues or whether it is because Samsung Bluetooth is renowned to be unstable. I avoided Samsung when renewing my phone last year.

I have no faff with xDrip+ and, as I mentioned, calibrate it daily for peace of mind.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I scan probably 10 times a day but I don’t “ chase” results or I’d never do anything else . Other than take blood sugar and take insulin

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use Libre 2 with OOP2 and xDrip+ on an Android phone.
I use OOP2 to hijack the Bluetooth signal from Libre 2 for xDrip+ and nothing else.

I calibrate at least once a day regardless of OOP2 so never get the message you mention.
For me, the ability to calibrate the Libre readings is important to give me confidence in the sensor.
Thanks, I'll just carry on ignoring the message then. I calibrate it with finger pricks sometimes, but not been doing it once a day, as it's generally been spot on, or very close to finger prick result at lunch time.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why?
I only use LibreLink to start my sensor and then Force Close it.
I keep it in case xDrip+ reports a weird reading so I can confirm whether it is xDrip+ or Libre that is misbehaving.
But there is no reason to have the absolute latest version of LibreLink to do this - just a version which can start the Libre 2 sensor.

There are a number of different approaches to using xDrip with Libre 2 without a separate transmitter. These only work with the European version of Libre 2. It does not work with thebUS or Australian version.
The OOP2 version worked first time for me so i didn’t bother investigating patching any official apps.

There have been reports of problems, especially with Samsung phones. I don’t know if this is because Samsung is the most common smart phone manufacturer so statistically more likely to have issues or whether it is because Samsung Bluetooth is renowned to be unstable. I avoided Samsung when renewing my phone last year.

I have no faff with xDrip+ and, as I mentioned, calibrate it daily for peace of mind.

"Why?"

I'll keep this brief as possible.
So as not to detract from @Zinadane 's particular question.
In the advent of my not needing to use a BT bridge anymore with the L2, the connection with my particular device is more stable with Diabox.
I loved Xdrip however. Even with Diabox if the connection is lost? Diabox actually reconnects when an alarm is triggered.
It seems less of a faff. (Again, with the particular device I use.)

I must be "different." As an individual I find the L2 don't need calibrating, it works from the off without needing to "bed in" for reported by others, 48 hours..

The device I use. I can't justify the cost of a new phone. how i'm set up on what is basically a pre-used device works & I like to think I'm "doing my bit" not contributing to the first world consumerism thing depleting planet resourses..

Hope this helps..

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Check the xDrip Facebook group. They have up to date documents on there and helpful contributors.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks, I'll just carry on ignoring the message then. I calibrate it with finger pricks sometimes, but not been doing it once a day, as it's generally been spot on, or very close to finger prick result at lunch time.
I just spotted something about OOP asking for calibration. Confusingly, OOP is different to OOP2. If you are getting OOP (not OOP2) calibration requests, you can uninstall the OOP app ... but keep OOP2.

If that sounds confusing, that's because it is. But I hope it makes sense to you, Hopeful34.

Reactions: Gafspa