Just got my blood test results through but.......

Claire M

I can't work them out. I'm a Type 1.
I've got an appointment with my consultant next Monday and I've had a blood test today. The results have just come through via a 'Patient Knows Best' site but I can't work them out.
I'm trying to see if my HbA1c level has come down from my last visit to the consultant - then it was 56 mmol/mol and while I know this is high, it's actually very good for me and she was very pleased as it had been 92 mmol/mol.
So I'm just preparing myself and have seen that the haemoglobin reading on this new blood test is 135 g/L. Is this the same as an HbA1c reading or is it something else? I can't find anything that says HbA1c. If it is my HbA1c reading then how can I convert it from g/L to mmol/mol?
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Many thanks.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So I'm just preparing myself and have seen that the haemoglobin reading on this new blood test is 135 g/L. Is this the same as an HbA1c reading or is it something else?
That looks like it's just your haemoglobin count, not your hba1c.
I can't find anything that says HbA1c.
Can it be the results are posted as they come in, so this result is in already but your hba1c takes a bit longer?

Reactions: EllieM and Claire M

Claire M

That looks like it's just your haemoglobin count, not your hba1c.

Can it be the results are posted as they come in, so this result is in already but your hba1c takes a bit longer?
Do you think the HbA1c takes a bit longer then? I also can't find a result for the Liver Function test.
It definitely said HbA1c, Liver function and loads of other things on the blood test form.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It definitely said HbA1c, Liver function and loads of other things on the blood test form.
So this must be one of the loads of other things, I think to test for aneamia.
I had a blood draw a couple of weeks ago, took days for all the results to come in. First came vitamin D, next day lipid panel, two days after that urine results and finally after the weekend my hba1c.

You only had the blood draw today, give them some time!

Reactions: Claire M

Claire M

So this must be one of the loads of other things, I think to test for aneamia.
I had a blood draw a couple of weeks ago, took days for all the results to come in. First came vitamin D, next day lipid panel, two days after that urine results and finally after the weekend my hba1c.

You only had the blood draw today, give them some time!
Thank you so much Antje77. I always get a bit anxious before seeing my consultant so I wanted to see if the HbA1c level had gone up or if it had improved. I didn't realise that the results would come in in dribs and drabs and to be honest I was surprised to see any results at all considering the time frame. I'll be patient!!

Reactions: EllieM

Claire M

Yes, you were both right - I've just received the HbA1c result. It's gone up to 61 - at least it's still lower than it's highest at 92 -
and at least I'm now prepared for Monday.
Thank you both very much!!