Diabetic Maculopathy

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have received a letter saying I have signs of diabetic maculopathy and an appointment for diabetic photographs and a 3d eye scan

so… what… how..

should I be worried?

LeftPeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you've been having regular tests then it should be in it's early stages, so successful treatment is possible as far as I know. I'm waiting for results myself and its an anxious time.

Lakeslover

I had that. Was referred to hospital but they said it was very minor and they would just see me again in 6 months. 6 months later they couldn’t see it at all so discharged me back to normal screening. Referred again the following year but no signs found on hospital review so discharged again.

I agree hooefully if it’s just been noted it should be minor.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had that. Was referred to hospital but they said it was very minor and they would just see me again in 6 months. 6 months later they couldn’t see it at all so discharged me back to normal screening. Referred again the following year but no signs found on hospital review so discharged again.

I agree hooefully if it’s just been noted it should be minor.
Thank you
I did read that > 30 drops in hba1c can cause a trigger so wondered if that was it

I’ll try not to over worry and see what the 3d scan brings

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My dad went blind from diabetic complications so I tend to get a little stressed about these things. Thanks for the input, feeling better about it all

Reactions: Lakeslover

Dark Horse

Diabetic maculopathy is what the Diabetic Eye Screening Programme can see in photographs taken at screening. It's used as a marker for CSMO/CSME (clinically significant macular oedema/edema) which is the condition that may cause problems with vision. It's not really possible to tell whether the maculopathy is significant from a photograph so, unless the maculopathy is quite mild, people are referred to ophthalmology for further tests. These generally include an OCT which looks at the layers of the retina and can detect whether there is any fluid there (oedema).

The possibilities at the eye clinic include:-
  • the maculopathy has disappeared and the person is returned to screening
  • the maculopathy is still present but no oedema is detected with the OCT and the person is returned to screening
  • oedema is detected but vision has not yet been affected and the person is monitored regularly in the eye clinic
  • oedema is detected, vision has started to be affected and treatment is offered
Until you've had the OCT, you can't know which situation you're in so it's best to use any worry you have to keep maintaining good diabetic control and to make sure you attend all your appointments.

You mentioned a large drop in HbA1c can temporarily worsen diabetic retinopathy (although it improves it in the long run) - you can read more about that here:- http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/retinopathyprogression.htm

Reactions: chrisbug

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So, had my optician appointment

He spent a lot of time looking at my eyes, took a scan with machine (worth the extra £35) and checked against previous pictures and he said there is some signs of retinopathy but something he is worried about in a major way, phew!

he’s changed my prescription slightly. Seems my astigmatism has increased a little, now up to -4, sigh, even further away from having Oakley lenses in my sunglasses in the future, oh well!

he also recommended eye drops as my eyes seem quite dry, that might be adding to my blurred vision. He also added a prism to my lenses as he thinks that may help, tired eyes and loss of focus might be helped by that (as it turns out and I forgot to say, in my medical record it records I had a squint as a baby… probably unrelated but you never know!)

with 1.67, xtra active, mirrored varifocals with prism. Let’s just say cheap comes nowhere near… Still, hopefully they look good!

but it’s good news I think, going to go to the NHS screening but I feel happier now

Oh, and am also on yearly call back to optician rather than every other. So that’s also good to know I’m in safe hands