Using Insulin help

Dontwanttoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cheese
I need some help please. I'm type 2 on Insulin and I've been prescribed steroids for a pretty nasty chest infection. My blood sugars keep going up and up. I'm over 20 presently and still raising. I've never been taught how to use my insulin properly. I take my fast acting before my big meal of the day and my slow acting once a day at the same time. Can I take my fast acting insulin solely to bring my sugars down or is it only for before food? Thanks in advance.

Dontwanttoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cheese
I need some help please. I'm type 2 on Insulin and I've been prescribed steroids for a pretty nasty chest infection. My blood sugars keep going up and up. I'm over 20 presently and still raising. I've never been taught how to use my insulin properly. I take my fast acting before my big meal of the day and my slow acting once a day at the same time. Can I take my fast acting insulin solely to bring my sugars down or is it only for before food? Thanks in advance.
Sorry this might sound like a stupid question but I've literally been told what I said and it's Saturday night and my sugars are raising and I'm panicking.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Dontwanttoo, I'd give 111 a ring, they'll be able to advise you what to do.
Steroids will mess your bloods up good and proper though :nailbiting: