Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Yikes!! Shock horror. I was 64

Doug88

I was 32 - There's variation in different parts of the world but give or take, the age of onset normally follows this kind of trend:

1-s2.0-S0198885904006214-gr1.gif

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
I was 13 years old back in October 1981 (best decade ever!) I was 40 years with Type 1 last month....

Reactions: Smiler99

Smiler99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles
Aged 44 diagnosed this year still finding it hard to come to terms with

AlexMac

I have just been diagnosed with T1 diabetes at the grand old age of 52, which seems old to me! I am trying to kid myself that I am going through some kind of second youth! Is this unusually old, or do you think this has been going on for some time? At what age were you diagnosed?

I thought it was mainly type 2 at an older age so its interesting to read that you all got diagnosed at different ages. I was diagnosed with type 1 at 10, my brother who is 16 years older then me was diagnosed with type 1 6 months after me at 26. Very weird how it affected us both at the same time, i was happy at the time as i had someone to share the heartache with, we also have different dads so assume the gene comes from my poor mother!

Mungobean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought it was mainly type 2 at an older age so its interesting to read that you all got diagnosed at different ages. I was diagnosed with type 1 at 10, my brother who is 16 years older then me was diagnosed with type 1 6 months after me at 26. Very weird how it affected us both at the same time, i was happy at the time as i had someone to share the heartache with, we also have different dads so assume the gene comes from my poor mother!

It is really interesting, I agree @AlexMac . I wonder if GPs make this assumption too, thus explaining why they seem so reluctant to do the c-peptide and Anti Gad tests. I just kept getting told that it was highly unlikely to be anything other than T2 for me,’because’….

I really do wonder how many people have the wrong diagnosis, although I am still new at this, so don’t really understand the consequences of a wrong diagnosis, apart from having less access to new tech, and potentially fewer ‘lifestyle’ lectures.