How low is too low at bedtime?

Mungobean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I’m fairly new to all this. I’m sitting on the side of my bed and I know my sugars are going low (he Libre is saying ‘Lo’, so I know I should get up and do a finger prick……. But, how low is too low to go to bed on? I am trying to raise my level, but don’t yet feel happy settling down until my trend starts going up. Is there a level at which I shouldn’t go to sleep, or is it a very individual thing?

Thanks in advance.

Bean

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I’m fairly new to all this. I’m sitting on the side of my bed and I know my sugars are going low (he Libre is saying ‘Lo’, so I know I should get up and do a finger prick……. But, how low is too low to go to bed on? I am trying to raise my level, but don’t yet feel happy settling down until my trend starts going up. Is there a level at which I shouldn’t go to sleep, or is it a very individual thing?

Thanks in advance.

Bean

Hi,

Is there alcohol involved too?

Libres in my experience can be quite laggy reflecting the actual BG rise after treatment on a low too..
It would be wise to back up what's going on with your meter.

Mungobean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Is there alcohol involved too?

Libres in my experience can be quite laggy reflecting the actual BG rise after treatment on a low too..
It would be wise to back up what's going on with your meter.

Thanks. No there’s no alcohol involved.
I confirmed with a finger prick and then managed to fall asleep, whilst trying to stay awake! Just woken up and readings are on their way up thank you (although while confirmed at 4.2, still a bit low for bed), and the trend is now showing an upward arrow at least!

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

My nurse said around 6 or 7. Im usually ok with this if the arrow on libre is stable.

I think anything below 5 might be a little low but its all individual isnt it?

Reactions: Mungobean

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was always told 8 mml. Anything lower was always disastrous - and still is for me, even though I see lower readings recommended.

Reactions: Mungobean

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's nothing more annoying than a meter reading too low last thing at night, when you just want to go to sleep. You need to keep some fast-acting carb within grabbing distance for this situation.