Disability living allowance

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It all depends on your health and what help you need to look after yourself.
If you have mobility problems and can't get around very easily than claim DLA mobility component. If you need care to look after yourself (eg help to get washed and dressed) then you can claim the care component. Or if you need both then claim both.
You will find info on it on the directgov website.

Reactions: 2 people

sophie7

I know that diabetic don't necessarily don't qualify for DLA anymore - mine got removed about a year and a 1/2 ago, under the gov. cuts. Bit annoying, as we spend quite a bit of money on extra food/some BG metres etc... that aren't on my prescription/ testing strips when the pharmacy take about two months to get them in!
But it is worth checking. I'm not too sure what the regulations are now.

Sophie

bobismad

Hi, I get DLA, on the care component, due to the reduced awareness of hypos and the fact that my wife has to keep in contact every 2hrs, to ensure that I'm not 'chewin custard' ...if you dont try, you will never knowat worst they can say no, if you have 'issues' ask your GP to write a letter detailing them, this will help 'justify' the claimas well as giving a professional justification....

Hope this helps

Bob

Grazer

Can't agree we should get DLA just because we have to buy strips/special food etc. There's a lot of people with different crosses to bear incurring expenses, but if they all got DLA we really would go bust. I think it should be based purely on individual problems, not on the basis of any generic illness or cost. I know lots of people claim and get it that shouldn't, but I guess two wrongs don't make a right.

duranie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Winter!
I have severe neuropathy, gastroparesis and poor hypo awareness. I struggle to walk most day and suffer constant pain & hypos due to the gastroparesis. I have been refused DLA twice as "you are able to walk 50 metres with appropriate aids & although you have difficulty you are able to prepare a meal for 1"...it's a joke. I would love to see the person who keeps turning me down live an hour with the pain I suffer all day every day. I have difficulty descending stairs due to shaking muscles too...They haven't even written to my GP.

Kansenji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being obese.
You get D.L.A. because you are unable to do certain things (such as walk a set distance) or because you need someone to care for you. A good website for advice on this is: http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/ . If you think it is worth applying for D.L.A., it is well worth paying the small annual charge to access all the guides on the site. I read the guides thoroughly, spent a lot of time completing the D.L.A. paper form and supplying extra copies of documentation (hospital letters, list of illnesses & list of medications etc.). Some of the DLA questions are repeated over & over again, so you have to give the same answers over & over again. The application form is a real pain, but persistence can pay off, as it did in my case.

My main disability is severe back pain caused by a deformed lumbar bone; I doubt whether I would have succeeded on the grounds of diabetes alone. However, if you are prone to frequent bouts of severe hypoglycemia that come on without warning & thus need a carer (your partner, for instance) with you at all times, then you might have grounds for D.L.A..

karenmr

Dislikes
Miserable people, moaners who have a cold and think they're dying. There are some really poorly people who never complain.
Hi, I'm currently trying for DLA as I have no warnings with hypos and very brittle control which means I need a constant carer. I don't know if I will succeed but as people say if you dn't try you don't get. I understand the frustration of people not being able to claim, I think it's disgusting that people who need it can't get it and there are those out there constantly cheating the system. I know someone, a diabetic, who had his DLA cancelled and constantly moaned even though his only problem was the fact that he didn't take care of himself.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I certainly agree with the above post!! My feelings exactly.

Grazer

Whereas I agree that charity begins at home, it still needs to go to the right people at home. When they started inviting people in for medicals, up to 80% didn't turn up or had miraculous "cures", so making sure the money goes in the right place is important. If people with diabetes genuinely need help then fine: but we are the same as anyone else with any other ailment - if we don't qualify, we shouldn't get it. I've seen people say they need a constant carer, but happily go out on their own. That doesn't fit. If you need a carer for hypos, you need to have one all the time. Not saying this applies to anyone posting here, just pointing out a general view that many people are too quick to jump on the benefits bandwagon. We have a responsibility in life to support ourselves; benefits are a safety net (or should be) for the most vulnerable, paid for by people like us. I don't want to pay for anyone just because "they might be able to get it". I paid for my own mum's support when she was 88, had 6 full hip replacements and two further reconstruction ops, cataracts in both eyes and a heart condition. She also has severe arthritis of the spine. My mum, my responsibility. So, if wehave a genuine need, fine, if not, we shouldn't "try it" Just my view.

Reactions: 9 people

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Grazer +1

Great post Grazer. I deal with benefits in my work and, believe me, I see it all. It is so frustrating when those that should get help don't and those who don't need it get everything :thumbdown:
The whole benefit system is crazy and really needs a good overhaul-not by suits in parliament but by the people who implement the benefits and know from experience where it needs to be changed.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bobismaid - you should be aware that residency requirements for DLA are even stricter than for ESA, so that eg a refugee who came from Iran as an unaccompanied minor can not claim DLA until they get permanent leave to remain after turning 18 / becoming adult.

As others have said, DLA is not awarded because of medical diagnosis / diagnoses, but because of mobility and / or care needs, leading to any combination of Higher / Lower Rate Mobility component and / or Highest / Middle / Lowest Rate Care component.

cjw

I agree 100% with grazer - diabetes should not be regarded as a disabiltiy. It is a horrible to thing to have but to claim money off tax payers is a disgrace unless it is genuinely needed due to a disability which may or may not have been caused by diabetes.

Glados

Dislikes
Courgettes.
copepod said:
Bobismaid - you should be aware that residency requirements for DLA are even stricter than for ESA, so that eg a refugee who came from Iran as an unaccompanied minor can not claim DLA until they get permanent leave to remain after turning 18 / becoming adult.

Thanks for saying this, because there is so much disinformation out there. I can't see the point in poor and/or sick people blaming one another for problems with benefits. I live in a very mixed area (all colours and religions) and I'm satisfied that each community contributes to this country as much as the other. Immigrants have to work as hard as everyone else to get on and don't automatically qualify for everything on arrival.

bobismad

17, you really need to do 2 things 1st to help yourself, from experience, my control wasnt great in the past then when I started to get them under control, I lost all warning signs, which means, by the time I realise I'm having a hypo I'm already too far gone, the past 2 years have been a nitemare, lost my job, cant claim ESA, as they think I'm fit for work, although my GP, Consultant, and the Occy Health Dept, say I'm UNSAFE in basically any workplace due to the rapid onset of the hypos, The main thing to to test at least 2hourly, to try and see if there any patterns that show up, I suggest you see the DSN and try and get one of the new meters that can help by suggesting the insulin dose either the Roche Expert or Abbot Insulinx, personally I got the abbot meter just over a month ago, and I feel the benifit already its been a godsend...I cant praise it enough, secondly got to the poundshop and get a 1/2 sized tobacco tin and a wee neoprene case, you can fit 2.5 packets of lucozade tablets in it if you take them out of the packet you clip it to your belt loop and when you feel the need open and neck 3-4 tabs, tbh it took me 15 years to get round to that, as I previously just kept the packet in my trousers, and ended up with a packet of dust, but with regular testing and the means to bring you out of a hypo on your person at all times when you are out and about, you will find it WILL become easier.

Feel free to pm me if you want some help, I'm no expert and I dont preach, but I can offer some ideas on how I overcome hurdles over the years.

dont let the B**tards get you down fella

Bob

stumpy11

Dislikes
BEING RESTRICTED TO WHAT I CAN DRIVE!!
Hi, if anyone is trying for DLA the most important question is "how far can you walk?" if you have severe pain in your feet, the answer is 0 feet/meters, if you put 50 feet you will not stand a chance. Attach as much medical evidence as you can to support your claim, get your GP to fill in the section someone who knows you, you could also get CAB to fill in the rest of form for you Most people who apply for DLA don't get it first time, if you think you have are genuine case and you meet the criteria "APPEAL", ALSO WRITE TO YOUR MP, AND EXPLAIN TO HIM why you think qualify.
I appealed when I was turned down, and went to a tribunal and won within 5 minutes.
All I say is fill out the form truthfully and send as much evidence as possible with it, if you don't try you don't know, be persistent if turned down, use your MP, GP, Consultants, it is tedious and takes a long time, but you have nothing to lose but a lot to gain.

Pneu

OK so this thread started off on a good note with some useful information and discussion; as such I feel that it should remain open... However the majority of posts past page 1 went off topic and were not to a standard expected on this forum as such I have been rather undiscriminating in my editing.. and have deleted everything... I spent around an hour trying to 'edit' out the derailment but frankly it was futile.. so I apologies now if you post got caught up in the carnage..

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Mine was one that was seemingly caught up in the carnage.

Got to admit that I am slightly concerned that you have felt the need to delete everything but hey, that's your call.

I would ask however that you leave this link that I had included in my original post as it is extremely relevant to those who recieve DLA, especially for an indefinite period.

http://www.disabilitynow.org.uk/living/ ... eplacement

Thanks. :)