First Blood Glucose test of the day before foot on the floor?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All good here, thanks @Jaylee .
I get it that anyone using a continuous glucose monitoring device has the advantage of those using the old fashioned finger stab method as no foot on floor conundrum if you aren’t needing to stab a finger.
I have, even before covid pandemic, always been a bit obssessed by hand hygiene. The reason I have been pondering this foot on floor business is that my fasting levels have been a bit erratic of late. My routine was previously to get up, use loo, shower, teeth clean, dress, then go downstairs to test. Clutching at straws, started to test as soon as I wake. Fasting numbers slightly improved. Then the hand washing / feet on floor query got to me. I guess I overthink things.:nailbiting::rolleyes:

From my perspective as a type 2, the only helpful morning readings are those that are comparable I.e. similar time and after / before activity. If habitually my BG rises after I get out of bed, testing before getting up might give me a lower reading, but it doesn’t alter the fact that it will rise afterwards. So I’d say just test consistently and then patterns can be spotted.

Reactions: Antje77

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
From my perspective as a type 2, the only helpful morning readings are those that are comparable I.e. similar time and after / before activity. If habitually my BG rises after I get out of bed, testing before getting up might give me a lower reading, but it doesn’t alter the fact that it will rise afterwards. So I’d say just test consistently and then patterns can be spotted.

I totally agree. If it rises between getting up and the next meal, it will rise whenever you test. All we can do it be consistent and watch for trends. The problem with testing after some form of activity, even if only pottering about, is that the activity itself can cause it to rise, and it is more difficult to be consistent doing it that way.

Bubbleblower

BANNED
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Heat for me, makes me more insulin sensitive. my liver still likes to bang me up at the prospect of another day "on the clock."

Yes, that's why a nice warm shower lowers your glucose.
The spike up doesn’t happen untill after you get out.

Goes to show how different we all are. I easily rise from 5 or 6 to 11+ if I forget to inject for FOTF

May be because your house is so freezing cold?

finzi1966

Yes, that's why a nice warm shower lowers your glucose.
The spike up doesn’t happen untill after you get out.

May be because your house is so freezing cold?

Ah interesting, its *definitely* the heat of the shower for me (Libre user). Although it’s usually only an issue in the mornings. If I have a hot shower in the evening/bedtime, it’s generally fine. I’m in the routine of having a dip in the hot tub in the morning before breakfast, and that spikes hugely when I get in (but I find if I don’t actually scan - and thus “lock in” the reading) its so short lived that it smooths out on the graph and doesn’t show up.

Sammy99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Serious question. If the first test is meant to be before you put a foot on the floor, it suggests it ought to be whilst still in bed. So how do we wash hands before the test? What do others do? I have noticed that if I get up and wash hands first the reading can be higher than if I don’t wash first.
Would add that I always wash hands at other times, before testing.
I never knew you had to do this! I guess we will just have to levitate to the bathroom to wash our hands

Reactions: Pipp and JohnEGreen

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I never knew you had to do this! I guess we will just have to levitate to the bathroom to wash our hands
Or you could sleep in the bath.
I found from a Libre trial that my morning level started to rise slowly from before I was wide awake. Just being consistent to show a trend is probably more important than the exact time.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not everyone is bothered about the foot on floor stuff. I just have to analyse too much, and yes, I did think of trying yogic flying. ;):D

Reactions: JohnEGreen

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not everyone is bothered about the foot on floor stuff. I just have to analyse too much, and yes, I did think of trying yogic flying. ;):D

You are if you are Type 1. If you get behind on the insulin at the beginning of the day it becomes a nightmare. Oh joy not have to worry!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You are if you are Type 1. If you get behind on the insulin at the beginning of the day it becomes a nightmare. Oh joy not have to worry!
The qustion was asked from a T2 perspective though, and Pipps reply was to a relatively new T2 so it makes sense she didn't include information on other types of diabetes.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 I have gone back on this thread, Pipp was the original poster, I view on the forum and have no way of knowing which type of diabetes a person has unless they are known to me. (A big failing. I feel type should always show next to name) Some of those type 1s I know posted like myself. It was in a general thread not a specific type 2. As a rule I don’t post on a type 2 thread because I feel the condition is specific to types. However if on a general thread I believe anyone can post. Which I did.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 I have gone back on this thread, Pipp was the original poster, I view on the forum and have no way of knowing which type of diabetes a person has unless they are known to me. (A big failing. I feel type should always show next to name) Some of those type 1s I know posted like myself. It was in a general thread not a specific type 2. As a rule I don’t post on a type 2 thread because I feel the condition is specific to types. However if on a general thread I believe anyone can post. Which I did.
I didn't mean to say you said something wrong, my apologies if it came across like that, and I did give your post an agree rating because I agree with what you said!
Of course anyone can post on a general thread (anyone can post even on threads specifically aimed at different types from your own, just need to be a little more careful if you do).

As for the types being next to the names, I usually use the forum on a PC, where it does show types, provided the member filled out their profile, and I tend to forget it doesn't show on phones.
This is what it looks like for me:

upload_2022-1-8_17-29-11.png

I think it will show on a phone too, if you turn it into landscape mode, worth a try!

And @Pipp , sorry for derailing, will behave from now on!

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 unfortunately on an I pad you just see the pic and the name. Absolutely no other information. It is a definite design fault.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@becca59 , I use iPad, for the website, and do see details of type of diabetes. As long as the member has stated it in the profile.
I didn’t make my OP T2 specific, as I was interested in how everyone with diabetes copes with the fasting test and foot on floor situation. I have appreciated the variety of informative replies.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Finger hovers over report button. :D:bag:
Oh, don't worry, Your alert will read something like "Thank you for your report, we've deleted the offensive post", and I'll have to deal with a well deserved telling off for completely derailing a serious thread.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Serious question. If the first test is meant to be before you put a foot on the floor, it suggests it ought to be whilst still in bed. So how do we wash hands before the test? What do others do? I have noticed that if I get up and wash hands first the reading can be higher than if I don’t wash first.
Would add that I always wash hands at other times, before testing.
I suppose you could put a damp cloth in a plastic bag and wipe your hands with that before you get out of bed. I have never tested first thing in the mornng so would not know what the difference would have been between washing hands or not