Tresiba 100

Carl W

Hi guys, I was put on Tresiba today, and told to take it in the pm before bed. Should I take it right before bed or is it best maybe an hour or so before as it’s active for about 24-30 hours I think. ‍♂️
TiA

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Tresiba is actually very forgiving as to when one takes it. I used to take it before bedtime, as I tended to forget to take it at nightime. Also, I once I injected the wrong insulin before bedtime (fast acting rather than the basal insulin). Now, I take it in the morning before breakfast.

Reactions: Carl W

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys, I was put on Tresiba today, and told to take it in the pm before bed. Should I take it right before bed or is it best maybe an hour or so before as it’s active for about 24-30 hours I think. ‍♂️
TiA
The point is to take it once per day, and not forget.
So the best time is a time where you're least likely to forget!
For me, that's right before sleeping, which can be anywhere between 11PM and 5AM, and Tresiba is very forgiving with flexible timing like this.
For you, it might be at some other point.

Carl W

For me, that's right before sleeping, which can be anywhere between 11PM and 5AM, and Tresiba is very forgiving with flexible timing like this.

Thanks, I was told earlier to take it in the PM, and before bed, but wasn’t sure if it was right before or maybe an hour or so before.

Reactions: Antje77

Carl W

Tresiba is actually very forgiving as to when one takes it. I used to take it before bedtime, as I tended to forget to take it at nightime. Also, I once I injected the wrong insulin before bedtime (fast acting rather than the basal insulin). Now, I take it in the morning before breakfast.

Thank you, I was told if I forgot to take it I’d have an 8 hour window to take the full amount. I was wondering if it was right before bed or maybe an hour or so before it. It’s all new to me so a little confused.

Carl W

Would you eat something before you took it so not to have a hypo??

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Would you eat something before you took it so not to have a hypo??
The Tresiba has a very flat profile, it really doesn't matter at what time you take it.
Eating something when taking your Tresiba is absolutely useless, it's a very slow acting insulin, designed to keep your blood glucose steady. It doesn't do anything about the peaks after eating.

Are you on Tresiba only or are you on a mealtime insulin as well?

Carl W

The Tresiba has a very flat profile, it really doesn't matter at what time you take it.
Eating something when taking your Tresiba is absolutely useless, it's a very slow acting insulin, designed to keep your blood glucose steady. It doesn't do anything about the peaks after eating.

Are you on Tresiba only or are you on a mealtime insulin as well?

I’m on gliclazide too at the moment as well as the tresiba. The gliclazide i take in the morning half hour before breakfast and half hour before my evening meal.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I always too mine before bed along with my end of day bg test... tresiba actually lasts for upto 3 days in your system so is very forgiving on time when you take it... but it also means any adjustments made to dose take upto 3 days to take effect

So what ever time of day is best for you... bedtime probably as you can keep the pen on the bedside cabinet and take it as you get ready for bed

Peter A Jones

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take my Tresiba in the morning when I wake up. There are no distractions for me at that time of day, so it is never forgotten. Taking it at bedtime could be much easier to forget, especially after a visit to the pub!

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning for me. Have an alarm set so I don’t forget. But I’m retired and relaxed in the mornings.

holmroad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cabbage, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts.
Unnecessary obesity.
I've been on Base Bolus regime this past 10-15 years at least - started off taking Levemir at bedtimeish and quick acting three times daily before meals - but been on Tresiba the past three years or so instead of Levemir, with no issues whatsoever! I take Novorapid before each meal three times daily and find all three work fine for me, maintaining a constant HbA1c of 6.3 .