"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
3 meals today - low carb but still 3 of them. And I still feel that I need something else.

My late husband used to have a saying "I feel like having something nice and not common." In his case that would be "a wee nippy sweetie" (his favourite single malt or sometimes Drambuie) or a chocolate or so.

That's how I feel today - in need of something nice and not common but I don't have anything meeting that description in the house. In my case it would be soft but crusty white bread and crispy bacon. I do have the bacon but it wouldn't be the same without the sinful white bread! Hey ho. Just have to go without.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well DIL and Em got home safe and sound by 6 pm yesterday. DIL wasn't given any paperwork by the policeman so she's not sure if he was just saying she would be given points on her license to frighten her or if he meant what he said. Either way, I still think he was in the wrong.

But then, although my parents always told me "if you are in trouble, ask a policemen for help" I never found that to be good advice. And over the years I have known a few police officers - related to some of them and have very little time for their upright characters. Our niece is a police sergeant and was a lovely young woman but became very arrogant when she joined the force. Still, she's the best of the bunch.

And of course, there has been a lot in the news about levels of misbehaviour amongst police ranks. Maybe I'm just biased because of the various slightly wrong-uns I've come across and maybe I'm just an old cynic. Or maybe we judge on our own experience.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just received through the post: dried blackberry powder and dried raspberry powder plus a bottle of coconut nectar. I'm pretty sure the carb level of the nectar will be too high for me to use, but Neil was keen to try it since he can take coconut and can't take any other sweetener that we've ever come across.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just heard mention on the BBC news that the new Highway Code becomes law TOMORROW. DIL can't have been charged with breaking the new law! That policeman must have been having her on. That's just weird. Another wrong-un?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well DIL and Em got home safe and sound by 6 pm yesterday. DIL wasn't given any paperwork by the policeman so she's not sure if he was just saying she would be given points on her license to frighten her or if he meant what he said. Either way, I still think he was in the wrong.

But then, although my parents always told me "if you are in trouble, ask a policemen for help" I never found that to be good advice. And over the years I have known a few police officers - related to some of them and have very little time for their upright characters. Our niece is a police sergeant and was a lovely young woman but became very arrogant when she joined the force. Still, she's the best of the bunch.

And of course, there has been a lot in the news about levels of misbehaviour amongst police ranks. Maybe I'm just biased because of the various slightly wrong-uns I've come across and maybe I'm just an old cynic. Or maybe we judge on our own experience.
I certainly wouldn't call you a cynic. It was wrong. I was reading an article today about the "Dutch Reach" to open the door I.e. driver opening with left hand rather than right. It is to make you check behind to avoid hitting a pedestrian/cyclist when opening a car door.
Interestingly, it is Guidance NOT a legal requirement, you cannot be fined for it, nor will any points be added to your licence. You can, however, be fined up to £1,000 if you open your door and knock a cyclist of his bike.
It seems the jobsworth didn't know his Highway Code.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You're correct. The changes apply from 29 January. What I'm trying to work out is, if you are turning into a junction, and a pedestrian starts to cross, you have to stop and let the pedestrian cross (pedestrian has right of way even if it's not a crossing). However, the car stops part in the junction part in main road, what if a cyclist then runs into you?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You're correct. The changes apply from 29 January. What I'm trying to work out is, if you are turning into a junction, and a pedestrian starts to cross, you have to stop and let the pedestrian cross (pedestrian has right of way even if it's not a crossing). However, the car stops part in the junction part in main road, what if a cyclist then runs into you?

Good question. I'm not sure that the pros and cons of this change have been thought through.

Also not sure what happens if a cyclist runs into a pedestrian crossing in what used to be called jaywalking. Or, on some of our country roads, how a motorist can ever overtake a cyclist riding in the middle of his/her lane and leave 1.5 metres between them.

Edited for typos.

Last edited:

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

That copper seems pretty mean - usually if you are stopped by the police and they see you have kids in the car they usually take a different tone and they try to help you which they have done with me on more than 1 ocasion. Fingers crossed nothing comes of this and he was just being blah blah blah

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good question. I'm not sure that the pros and cons of this change have been thought through.

Also not sure what happens if a cyclist runs into a pedestrian crossing in what used to be called jaywalking. Or, on some of our country roads, how a motorist can ever overtake a cyclist riding in the middle of his/her lane and leave 1.5 metres between them.

Edited for typos.
Valid points - I don't think it has been thought through either - too many ifs and buts and will cause confusion/more accidents for some

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What I'm trying to work out is, if you are turning into a junction, and a pedestrian starts to cross, you have to stop and let the pedestrian cross (pedestrian has right of way even if it's not a crossing). However, the car stops part in the junction part in main road, what if a cyclist then runs into you?
I've grown up (and got my drivers licence) in Amsterdam, no problem at all.
Traffic following the road has right of way over traffic taking a turn.
So before turning you look into your mirror and over your shoulder to check for cyclists.
If there are no cyclists you start making your turn.
You then stop for the pedestrian crossing the street.
Any cyclists coming up at that point will have seen your not-moving car and definitely won't run into you. Why would a cyclist run into an object which is not moving?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dutch cyclists may be more sensible than some British ones. I have certainly heard of cyclists running into the back of stationary vehicles - head down and not looking where they are going. Also, some pedestrians here have a habit of just jumping into the road at the last moment - used to be called jaywalking - and expecting vehicles to stop within a couple of feet - cars as well as bikes.

Of course, it does make sense for cyclists to ride more towards the middle of their lane - much safer there but not so much so on very narrow roads which we have quite a few of on the Islands. Cyclists are also advised to ride 2 abreast when in groups - again, overtaking on narrow roads could be difficult if cyclists do not get into single file to allow cars to pass, as the new rules suggest.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dutch cyclists may be more sensible than some British ones.
I had a fun time watching some youtube videos of foreigners reviewing cycling in Amsterdam, looks like what is completely sensible and second nature to us, is terrifying chaos to those not having grown up with it!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I certainly wouldn't call you a cynic. It was wrong. I was reading an article today about the "Dutch Reach" to open the door I.e. driver opening with left hand rather than right. It is to make you check behind to avoid hitting a pedestrian/cyclist when opening a car door.
Interestingly, it is Guidance NOT a legal requirement, you cannot be fined for it, nor will any points be added to your licence. You can, however, be fined up to £1,000 if you open your door and knock a cyclist of his bike.
It seems the jobsworth didn't know his Highway Code.

The Dutch Reach makes sense but, on the other hand, who is going to walk or ride a bike (motorbike/car) that close to a stationary vehicle? I have heard of cars going too close and tearing off an opening car door, that's true, but they shouldn't be that close in the first place. I guess most of it is common sense and I'm glad to have noticed that both my sons already drive according to that guidance. Apart from the Dutch Reach. Very often here, it's best to use both hands to hold on to the door to avoid it getting torn off its hinges by the wind - nothing to do with anyone coming up behind.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
who is going to walk or ride a bike (motorbike/car) that close to a stationary vehicle?
Everyone. The bike lanes are next to the parking spots.

Both the picture and the video are taken in my old neighbourhood, both obviously at quiet hours with very few cars, those are rather busy streets during the day.
As you can see, in wider roads there are usually small biking lanes, but if the road is smaller, everyone just shares the same part of the road.

Very, very important to check for bikes when getting out of your car!

151010-img-6063-ceintuurbaan.jpg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm so glad I don't ride a bike! That looks hair-raising to me.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Did I say something about the wind and car doors? Em went out with her mum today and when trying to open the back door of the car to get out, the wind dragged it from her hands, although she tried to hang on to it. Result - one buckled door and some damage to the car parked next to her. Great!
I gather that her mum had to buy size 12 - 13 clothes for her while away. No wonder the 11 - 12 M&S ones I bought were too small really. I was going to check her height, but she's taken to my bed - her favourite place in this house with my tablet, waiting for her dad to come and pick her up. I reckon she's about my shoulder height (must be about 4ft 6 or 7) and needing to stretch to take up some of her "puppy fat".

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Everyone. The bike lanes are next to the parking spots.

Both the picture and the video are taken in my old neighbourhood, both obviously at quiet hours with very few cars, those are rather busy streets during the day.
As you can see, in wider roads there are usually small biking lanes, but if the road is smaller, everyone just shares the same part of the road.

Very, very important to check for bikes when getting out of your car!

151010-img-6063-ceintuurbaan.jpg

The main danger to cyclists that we have observed - here and on the mainland - is drivers who don't notice cyclists directly in front of them (even sideways on; that is crossing the end of a road where a car is waiting to pull out - and does so despite the cyclist wearing hi-viz clothing directly in front of them.) "Oh sorry, I didn't see you!" looking down at a mangled bike and equally mangled cyclist. Cycling is a dangerous business what with cars, lorries, buses and pollution. Not for me. Not that I could anyway now.

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've grown up (and got my drivers licence) in Amsterdam, no problem at all.
Traffic following the road has right of way over traffic taking a turn.
So before turning you look into your mirror and over your shoulder to check for cyclists.
If there are no cyclists you start making your turn.
You then stop for the pedestrian crossing the street.
Any cyclists coming up at that point will have seen your not-moving car and definitely won't run into you. Why would a cyclist run into an object which is not moving?
You haven't seen some of the cyclists we have here! The worst offenders are the older teenagers who think it's smart to do very high wheelies, swaying all over the road, and even worse coming off because they are not in control. It's dreadful at this time of year as they do it in the dark, no lights and no reflective clothing.
The police do not have the time or manpower to deal with it.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dutch cyclists may be more sensible than some British ones. I have certainly heard of cyclists running into the back of stationary vehicles - head down and not looking where they are going. Also, some pedestrians here have a habit of just jumping into the road at the last moment - used to be called jaywalking - and expecting vehicles to stop within a couple of feet - cars as well as bikes.

Of course, it does make sense for cyclists to ride more towards the middle of their lane - much safer there but not so much so on very narrow roads which we have quite a few of on the Islands. Cyclists are also advised to ride 2 abreast when in groups - again, overtaking on narrow roads could be difficult if cyclists do not get into single file to allow cars to pass, as the new rules suggest.
The code does say that they can go in the middle, two abreast, on quieter roads BUT if a faster moving vehicle comes along, they should pull ti the left or stop to allow the car to safely pass. No chance, they won't do it. Particularly the lycra brigade that fancy themselves as a Bradley Wiggins. Like you we have narrow roads and matters made worse with cars parked both sides. I always try to give cyclists a wide berth but it is very difficult on some roads. I think we're heading for more accidents and a lot more road rage.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The main danger to cyclists that we have observed - here and on the mainland - is drivers who don't notice cyclists directly in front of them (even sideways on; that is crossing the end of a road where a car is waiting to pull out - and does so despite the cyclist wearing hi-viz clothing directly in front of them.) "Oh sorry, I didn't see you!" looking down at a mangled bike and equally mangled cyclist. Cycling is a dangerous business what with cars, lorries, buses and pollution. Not for me. Not that I could anyway now.
Of course you have your SNP MP (not sure if he's yours but he's one of the Islands), who is awaiting trial for knocking down a teenager. No doubt it will take a long time to come to court.