How long till Libre 2?

Ipodlistener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots
Hi! Got diagnosed type 1 diabetic in November 2021. Seeing my dietitian on 10th January 2022 she said she would get me on Libre 2. But still heard nothing. How long does it take? I know I'm being inpatient as I'm so new to all this. I had Libre 2 on a 14 day trial and it was a game changer. Whilst out on walks etc. Before being diagnosed as a postman I would walk 8-10 miles a day easy. Getting there slowly. But couldn't walk more than a mile when I 1st got diagnosed.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Ipodlistener, I suspect things like that vary massively between different hospitals so your best bet would probably be to ask the dietitian or your DSN.
When I changed from Libre 1 to 2 I didn't know that was happening until I got a letter telling me and I think it had a code I had to put on the Abbott website to get a new reader (or it may have been the web address I needed to go to, not sure now) and it had already been changed on my prescription. When I started on Libre 1 it was about 3 months between my consultant offering it to me and receiving the delivery from Abbott.
Are you using Libre 1 at the moment?

Reactions: Ipodlistener

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Unfortunately, it depends on your local clinic/CCG/GP relationship.
I believe, only a consultant can approve Libre and then they need to contact your GP to get it on your repeat prescription.

In your position, if three months ago, a dietician had said she would get me on Libre, I would be chasing her for an update. It should not take so long. Maybe the request has got lost in NHS bureaucracy.

Ipodlistener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots
Hi @Ipodlistener, I suspect things like that vary massively between different hospitals so your best bet would probably be to ask the dietitian or your DSN.
When I changed from Libre 1 to 2 I didn't know that was happening until I got a letter telling me and I think it had a code I had to put on the Abbott website to get a new reader (or it may have been the web address I needed to go to, not sure now) and it had already been changed on my prescription. When I started on Libre 1 it was about 3 months between my consultant offering it to me and receiving the delivery from Abbott.
Are you using Libre 1 at the moment?
Thank you for the reply. The Libre 2 was a trial I asked for from Abbott. I've been using a Caresens Dual. Since November when being diagnosed.

Ipodlistener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots
Unfortunately, it depends on your local clinic/CCG/GP relationship.
I believe, only a consultant can approve Libre and then they need to contact your GP to get it on your repeat prescription.

In your position, if three months ago, a dietician had said she would get me on Libre, I would be chasing her for an update. It should not take so long. Maybe the request has got lost in NHS bureaucracy.
Sorry it's only been since the 10th of January this year. That I was offered it. Using the Caresens Dual since November when I was Diagnosed

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi! Got diagnosed type 1 diabetic in November 2021. Seeing my dietitian on 10th January 2022 she said she would get me on Libre 2. But still heard nothing. How long does it take? I know I'm being inpatient as I'm so new to all this. I had Libre 2 on a 14 day trial and it was a game changer. Whilst out on walks etc. Before being diagnosed as a postman I would walk 8-10 miles a day easy. Getting there slowly. But couldn't walk more than a mile when I 1st got diagnosed.

Hi,

It was mid March last year when i got funded for the L2? I'd had a telephone appointment with my endo & he gave me the thumbs up. At the end of the Febuary.? I was CC'd into a coppy of a letter to my GP to put em on script about 2/3 weeks later? & I found it listed on my online repeat at the surgury..

You realy need to talk to your consultant? (Tap up the "man" at the top..)
I Was in a fortunate position to self fund for a couple of years & even my GP agreed I should get funded.

I've had years of different DSNs gushing "oh, you can have this.. Ooh you should have that.." With out me even mentioning as an "ice breaker." I hear no more of it on the next appointment.. Lol, i have lost count the amount of times I've been offered a pump.. ;)

Good luck. :)

Bubbleblower

BANNED
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi! Got diagnosed type 1 diabetic in November 2021. Seeing my dietitian on 10th January 2022 she said she would get me on Libre 2. But still heard nothing. How long does it take?

For whatever weird reason the libre 2 hasn't been available for many months now in both France and the Netherlands (while it is available in Belgium or Germany). You could ask your dietician for a Dexcom instead, which is much better, especially for type 1s and if you are lucky you get one.

Ipodlistener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots
For whatever weird reason the libre 2 hasn't been available for many months now in both France and the Netherlands (while it is available in Belgium or Germany). You could ask your dietician for a Dexcom instead, which is much better, especially for type 1s and if you are lucky you get one.
The Libre 2 was the only option from my dietitian in the UK. She mentioned it in Nov/Dec and I didn't know enough about it. So dismissed it. Then had the 14 day trial and loved it. Stupid me!

Ipodlistener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots
Perhaps that's because Germany and France are getting Libre 3 1st off. My trial Libre 2 sensor directly from Abbott took nearly 3 weeks to be delivered.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The Libre 2 was the only option from my dietitian in the UK. She mentioned it in Nov/Dec and I didn't know enough about it. So dismissed it. Then had the 14 day trial and loved it. Stupid me!
My dietitian recommended me for the Libre, she put my name on ‘the list’ and a couple of months later I got a call out of the blue from an endocrinologist. He ask a few questions and then my diabetic nurse phoned the next day say8ng I had got it approved and it was on my repeat prescription list online with my doctor the following week. Maybe you are on the ‘list’ just depends how quickly the endo calls.

Reactions: Ipodlistener

Ipodlistener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots
My dietitian recommended me for the Libre, she put my name on ‘the list’ and a couple of months later I got a call out of the blue from an endocrinologist. He ask a few questions and then my diabetic nurse phoned the next day say8ng I had got it approved and it was on my repeat prescription list online with my doctor the following week. Maybe you are on the ‘list’ just depends how quickly the endo calls.
Let's hope that's the case. The following week I saw a consultant. They thought I was already on the Libre. I suppose it's just a waiting game. Can't believe how lucky we are. Living in a rich country. How did people cope in the past

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Let's hope that's the case. The following week I saw a consultant. They thought I was already on the Libre. I suppose it's just a waiting game. Can't believe how lucky we are. Living in a rich country. How did people cope in the past

UK, mid 1970s I was peeing in a testube.. We've come a fair way.. ;)

Ipodlistener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots
Great News!
I thought I'd try chasing this up this afternoon. Got a call back and then completed the Libre academy. Got an appointment Friday for my 1st NHS Libre 2. With it being added to my repeat prescription for at least 6 months. But was told they hope to get everyone on them in the fullness of time. Can't wait over the moon

nicki92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I live in Germany and they put the Libre 2 on my arm while I was in hospital the day after being diagnosed. I feel extremely lucky and can't imagine not having one now.
I'll switch to the 3 when my current prescription expires in October.
Crossing my fingers that it becomes easier to get for everyone in the UK as well