Review of GlucoRx Aidex

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Review of GlucoRx Aidex

First a disclaimer. I am not an employee of GlucoRx nor do I have any vested interest in them. They did send me 2 sensors when I complained on a Facebook site that my 1st one had died, otherwise I have received no special goods, treatment or incentives to write this review. They are aware I am writing it.

I bought the starter kit when the Aidex first came out. It has 2 sensors, each lasting 14 days, a separate transmitter, which you move from sensor to sensor with each change, lasting 4 years. Included in the box were a few small freebies (I don't remember what) and a new meter measuring BG, ketones and haematocrit. There are a few BG strips and 1 ketone strip plus control solution. It cost about £90+ for the lot. The normal prices, at present, are under £40 per sensor and under £20 for the transmitter so there isn't any real saving in buying the starter kit, except the latter includes the freebies.

I can only compare with Abbott's libre system as I had their free trial. The Aidex sensors are oval, not round, and of a similar size. With the transmitter clicked in place on top they stand a little prouder than the libre but don't really seem to catch on clothes any more often.

There is an app to download and GlucoRx can be contacted if your phone isn't on their compatibility list. I was using Samsung Galaxy 9 and so I have the Android app. With the Android app it is advisable to stop Android from closing background apps when it is

(https://www.howtogeek.com › how-...
How to Stop Android From Killing Background Apps - How-To Geek)

conserving power - see webpage above. There are glitches described by others, but I haven't had any significant ones myself.

The sensor is applied to back of arm or lower abdomen. The applicator is too large for disposal in my large bucket sharps box though, unlike the libre one. I have had no problem inserting both of my sensors, and they have stuck down well. There is an additional and optional patch to reinforce this. They also remove surprisingly easily at the end of their life. The transmitter clicks in place on top of the sensor and requires to be removed after sensor use. Both actions I found fiddly, especially if you are a bit wobbly in the application area! I was afraid I might break it. There is a transmitter code on its box which needs inputting to the app to start the sensor. *Do not lose this code*. It is required if you log out of the app in order to link the transmitter and app once more. It might have been useful to have had the code printed on the transmitter itself to prevent it being accidentally thrown away with the packaging.

The app reads with American date stamps, which is a personal gripe. It has a list of events (named history) - food taken, medication, insulin and exercise - which can be noted and then viewed both in the list and also on the home screen along the graph of BG measurements. The events have presets and you can make your own. I had a glitch develop on mine such that the intensity of exercise no longer registered. Now I can't add exercise to my graph or events.

Food taken includes an input for carbs consumed
Exercise includes inputs for intensity (3 presets) and time
Medication includes inputs for name and dose (only in mg)
Insulin includes inputs for name and dose in units

There is a tab for registering alternative measurements of BG alongside the main graph. It also permits recalibration, but there seem to be exceptions to when this is possible according to other users.

The main graph registers levels every 5 mins. I have found it needs recalibrating every day or so, especially at higher levels. It can be viewed over 6hrs, 12hrs or 24hrs and gives a countdown of days of sensor life left. The settings tab on the same page permits the setting of personal levels for high and low glucose levels which then register as a change in graph colour when these thresholds are crossed. The urgent low glucose alert is set at 3.1 mmol/l. *The actual alert sound seems to be just the 'phones normal notification sound* This is just a single beep on my 'phone, not enough to wake someone heading for a hypo.

Finally there is a trends page which registers
An estimated HbA1c
Average glucose value
Time in range (pie chart)
Daily trends (a graph with a midpoint and variation intervals)
A low BG index

The range of time from which these measurements are taken can be varied from last 7, 14 or 30 days.

Long story short

Pros: Price
Easy to use interface
Ease of sensor removal
Amount and types of data measured
Ability to vary time over which data averages are taken
Recalibration possible

Cons: Glitches in app
Glitches with some sensors (GlucoRx will replace though)
Fiddly transmitter
Easy to lose transmitter code
Alert system/sounding poor

I'm happy to answer any questions as I'm sure I've missed things of interest.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many thanks for the review. How did you find the accuracy vs finger pricks compared to Libre vs finger pricks?

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would say being able to put on abdomen is a pros too.

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Many thanks for the review. How did you find the accuracy vs finger pricks compared to Libre vs finger pricks?
About the same - sometimes they tallied fairly well. The worst difference I had was about 17% with the Aidex.

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
While it is working, the comparison is good with both. But when it gets confused, such as 15:00 - 16:00 here, it is not so good.
B13483BB-1E80-426D-8892-4AFAF9DED94B.jpeg
96EDEBDB-3F9C-4270-82A2-EB130749B9A4.jpeg