Freestyle Libre on prescription

SOTR

Over on another site I saw someone who has Freestyle Libre on prescription. They said the redings were shared with the GP practice (I imagine they give access to the Freestyle website to the GP)
This person used insulin.

Anyone here get Freestyle on prescription?

Reactions: ljmc

Sarahlouxoxo

I have just been referred by my nurse to get it on prescription, she said I should have it by the end of March. I have read on here it seems to depend on the area you live whether you are offered it or not

sgm14

Yes. I'm on insulin and have had it on prescription for over two years. But I am in Northern Ireland where the NHS rules are different than for example in England/Wales. (Not sure about Scotland).

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Over on another site I saw someone who has Freestyle Libre on prescription. They said the redings were shared with the GP practice (I imagine they give access to the Freestyle website to the GP)

Hi Yes I have had it on prescription for the last 6 months. Diagnosed Type 1 LADA almost 4 years ago. My nurse recommended it for me and then almost a year later (delayed due to COVID) an endocrinologist phoned me, asked a series of questions and I got it a week later. I am in Hertfordshire, I am very pleased as I have heard I am not in a great area to get this on prescription.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, I have had it on prescription for nearly 3 years.
The target was 20% of people with Type 1 in England would have Libre prescribed. I believe they have surpassed this target now.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

There are very specific criteria set up for this and for type 2 it currently as far as I am aware needs you to be both insulin dependent and with a recognised learning disability

the criteria for type 1 is expanding but it is still a bit of a postcode lottery unfortunately

here’s a link I believe is current on criteria: https://diabetesmyway.nhs.uk/resources/internal/nhs-england-libre-criteria/

Edit: as reminded below, criteria differs through the countries, and the above is England criteria

Last edited:

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
NHS is penny wise, pound foolish with this. During a 9 week period when I low carbed, paid for libre myself and ate according to the information it gave, my hba1c went from 11.9 (107) to 7.3 (56).

You could save the £100 a month it costs in drugs and consultations

Last edited:

sgm14

There are very specific criteria set up for this and for type 2 it currently as far as I am aware needs you to be both insulin dependent and with a recognised learning disability

Just to clarify that this is criteria in England and is different here in Northern Ireland . So I got it even through I am type 2, insulin dependent but do not have a recognised learning disability.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to clarify that this is criteria in England and is different here in Northern Ireland . So I got it even through I am type 2, insulin dependent but do not have a recognised learning disability.
That’s a good point, thank you for adding that. I made the error of being too specific

Bogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Over on another site I saw someone who has Freestyle Libre on prescription. They said the readings were shared with the GP practice (I imagine they give access to the Freestyle website to the GP)

I am Type 2 and have always been horrible at taking consistent readings with traditional finger pricking. It doesn't bother me but due to being busy with work (working from home you tend to work too much) I rarely do it, and I simply cannot test when I should and as much as I should so the readings are basically useless with my OneTouch Verio. Get it out, load a sharp, insert the strip, swab the area to be pricked, do the reading, dispose of the wipe, sharp, etc., and put it all away again.

I asked my doctor for a prescription for FreeStyle Libre and my cost is just a dispensing fee ($4.11 CDN) as our gov't health plan (Ontario Canada) covers the costs. No, I do not use insulin, just oral meds. I have only had it for a couple of weeks now and it has really woke me up to the highs and a few lows (saw one recorded at 3.3 mmol). I didn't even know that I had any lows, and what foods really affect me. Changed my whole mindset on diet and management, etc. Weight is not a problem (6 feet tall and 160 lbs). I can either use my iPhone to check or the FreeStyle Libre reader. Have done a few finger-prick blood tests to make sure the FreeStyle Libre was reading correctly and it is. This will definitely get me back on track to managing my Diabetes.

That all said, if I had to, I would pay for it myself. Well worth the cost, Diabetes management, and peace of mind.

Reactions: ljmc and Speedbird

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Bogie, I also live in Ontario, just a little bit south of you, closer to Toronto. I also get my freestyle libre on prescription from the Ontario health plan. Interesting that they no longer require insulin usage as a prerequisite. I also noted that it is covered only in the provinces of Ontario and Quebec, and the Yukon territory. It is a significant benefit, as I use about 29 sensors per year, that would otherwise cost me about $2500 per year.

Bogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi Bogie, I also live in Ontario, just a little bit south of you, closer to Toronto. I also get my freestyle libre on prescription from the Ontario health plan. Interesting that they no longer require insulin usage as a prerequisite. I also noted that it is covered only in the provinces of Ontario and Quebec, and the Yukon territory. It is a significant benefit, as I use about 29 sensors per year, that would otherwise cost me about $2500 per year.
I think the insulin requirement is still there but a prescription from a cooperating doctor cuts through the red tape. I am also covered up to 80%, if need be, from our company health plan. I thought that was the route I would have to take so I was surprised when I picked up my FreeStyle Libre prescription and all I paid was the $4.11 dispensing fee. Now I can see my levels easily at any time of day without stopping anything that I am doing. A real eye opener compared to the "old school" finger-pricking that records but does not have the detailed graphing and tracking that the FreeStyle Libre does.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I’m in Scotland and as far as I’m aware all nhs regions are giving Libre to type 1 diabetic on prescription , I’ve had mine for so long now I forget exactly when in was , I know it’s a bit of a postcode lottery for some places and not too sure about rules for type 2 diabetics , I personally didn’t have to “ jump through any hoops” to get mine , but I have heard that that happens in some areas.

ljmc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lack of sleep, laundry, working :-D
Hello (Type 1 diabetic)
I got my freestyle libre 2 on prescription after a visit to podiatry of all places. They referred me to my diabetic clinic and 2 weeks later the nurse there went ahead and gave me one straight away. Had a chat about how my doctors wanted all their diabetic patients on the same blood meters. She wasn't happy with that and said "Well that's not very patient focused. Well he will just have to do as he is told now" I loved that. Now on repeat prescription. I live in Hull, East Yorkshire and the diabetic department has been fully upgraded so help, advice and appointments are more easily accessible.

Bogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hello (Type 1 diabetic)
I got my freestyle libre 2 on prescription after a visit to podiatry of all places. They referred me to my diabetic clinic and 2 weeks later the nurse there went ahead and gave me one straight away. Had a chat about how my doctors wanted all their diabetic patients on the same blood meters. She wasn't happy with that and said "Well that's not very patient-focused. Well, he will just have to do as he is told now" I loved that. Now on repeat prescription. I live in Hull, East Yorkshire, and the diabetic department has been fully upgraded so help, advice, and appointments are more easily accessible.
Perfect! I love the FGM. The best way to go for T1-T2 and personal monitoring. I finger prick test occasionally just to validate the FGM (FreeStyle Libre) readings. Note: One thing I have noticed is that if it reads as being low (3 or 4), do a finger prick blood test to double-check. The FGM seems to be reading too low if you are heading into the low territory. I had a 4.1 mmol/l reading (and it showed lower in the graph - into the 3 range), but a fingerprick blood test showed 6.4 mmol/l. Yes, I do realize the time delays using an FGM over a traditional blood test, but the FGM seems to have trouble with accurate low readings over using a CGM (Dexcom) or blood test.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike88 and ljmc

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I am also lucky enough to have F2 on prescription, only last couple of months though, endo consultant gave it to me, or sent a letter to someone, 100% all diabetics should get it, even if for a trial period while they prove it’s usefulness and usage.

Reactions: Mike88

ljmc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lack of sleep, laundry, working :-D
Perfect! I love the FGM. The best way to go for T1-T2 and personal monitoring. I finger prick test occasionally just to validate the FGM (FreeStyle Libre) readings. Note: One thing I have noticed is that if it reads as being low (3 or 4), do a finger prick blood test to double-check. The FGM seems to be reading too low if you are heading into the low territory. I had a 4.1 mmol/l reading (and it showed lower in the graph - into the 3 range), but a fingerprick blood test showed 6.4 mmol/l. Yes, I do realize the time delays using an FGM over a traditional blood test, but the FGM seems to have trouble with accurate low readings over using a CGM (Dexcom) or blood test.
Thank you for the tip. I am totally in love with my freestyle libre. Has been very helpful so far. I use the app on my phone rather than have a separate device to monitor everything. Plus it's an excuse to have my phone out or on me at work. Nurse said it's not a phone anymore but a medical device. And I have noticed I am more inclined to test on the spot rather than have to test because I am driving or eating. Still apprehensive putting it on but think over time I will become quicker at it.

Reactions: Mike88

Mike88

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Great to hear others are benefitting from Libres. They are life changing. When finger pricking I was mostly on track. Trialing a Libre helped me discover I was going low whilst asleep. The more complete picture has helped me tweak my diet, exercise & insulin bring down my HbA1C. I agree, everyone should be given one. Looking forward to switching the the Libre 3 once the iOS app is out in the UK.