COVID restrictions gone........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"So Far".........Good luck

Thanks, I guess, but I spend a lot of time and effort looking after my metabolic health.

I have been directly exposed to someone who tested positive the very next day, same room across a dinner table for about 4 hours so.... if it hasn't got me yet then I'm not very concerned any more.

D

Deleted member 538345

Every other?

Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Switzerland removing some or all restrictions..

Are they telling those that are infected to make their own mind up whether to go to work, or not ?
How old is he?
"Totally vulnerable" is a rather odd way of putting it as the most at risk are the very old and very sick.
As I'm guessing he'e neither of those then why is he any more at risk?
I was neither very old, nor very sick when I was admitted to intensive care with coved in October 2020 .... in the days before vaccines, so I can appreciate a fathers concern for his unvaccinated son, I am sure you can too.

Robo42

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How old is he?
"Totally vulnerable" is a rather odd way of putting it as the most at risk are the very old and very sick.

Whilst I don't have his needle fear, I too have elected not to get any jabs and so far have been fine without really taking any special precautions.

Well you must be on another planet, many people of all ages are at high Covid risk, it's

How old is he?

Whilst I don't have his needle fear, I too have elected not to get any jabs and so far have been fine without really taking any special precautions.

Well you must be on another planet, many people of all ages are at high Covid risk, I guess you only read ' Bad Science'.

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
Thanks, I guess, but I spend a lot of time and effort looking after my metabolic health.

I have been directly exposed to someone who tested positive the very next day, same room across a dinner table for about 4 hours so.... if it hasn't got me yet then I'm not very concerned any more.

"I spend a lot of time and effort looking after my metabolic health"

Makes you immune then

Reactions: lucylocket61

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I say that as someone significantly affected by the virus - I still have Long Covid, but would rather live my life. Long Covid imposes enough restrictions without more of dubious benefit being piled on top.
My biggest worry is how many more will unnecessarily suffer as you and others in this forum have with long covid as a result of the decisions made, and how much extra strain that adds to the NHS as a national concern. And if you are already vulnerable adding long covid to that cannot be a good thing.

People are focussed solely on death as the only negative outcome of the virus and that’s only part of the story.

Maintaining the minimal isolation we currently have, and free testing for those trying to avoid passing it along would go a long way to giving people the choice the vulnerable need.

On a yougov poll today 74% said they would not pay to test. That means 74% risk passing it to the vulnerable around them.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My biggest worry is how many more will unnecessarily suffer as you and others in this forum have with long covid as a result of the decisions made, and how much extra strain that adds to the NHS as a national concern. And if you are already vulnerable adding long covid to that cannot be a good thing.

I don’t want to derail, but as it happens, I ‘blame’ lockdown and associated stress far more than my initial infection (which was before the first lockdown) for the Long Covid. I’m not convinced of the effectiveness of many of the restrictions and think we’ve long passed the stage where more harm is being done in terms of mental health, cancer and other conditions going undiagnosed and untreated.

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
.....and I am sad to report that democracy died in Canada due to Covid!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How old is he?

He’s 26 and yes he is totally vulnerable because not only is he not jabbed but because of his high anxiety and understanding of the world around him we were informed that if he contracted Covid he would be best cared for at home even if he became seriously ill, in short “we don’t have the time, staff or facilities to deal with his behaviours resulting from autism” I have spoken to many families who have been told this about there family members with what is considered challenging behaviours.

also it’s not just the very old and very sick who are vulnerable and dying, my friend just lost her very fit fully jabbed 22 year old niece to Covid a week ago.

As you say you elected not to have jabs and I respect your right to do that, he hasn’t elected he just isn’t able and is desperate for there to be a nasal application. My husband has worked right through the pandemic all over the country and we’ve worked hard to protect our son as best we can. My gripe is that choice is now been taken from us with the fact that anyone who comes into contact with our household could knowingly have Covid and doesn’t have to disclose it and that’s unfair IMHO

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t want to derail, but as it happens, I ‘blame’ lockdown and associated stress far more than my initial infection (which was before the first lockdown) for the Long Covid. I’m not convinced of the effectiveness of many of the restrictions and think we’ve long passed the stage where more harm is being done in terms of mental health, cancer and other conditions going undiagnosed and untreated.
And I’ve not advocated lockdowns. Specific and short isolation of known infectious people which is fundamental primary infection control and testing available to those that feel the need to protect vulnerable around them if they are positive. Very different proposals to the early lockdowns indeed. I accept lockdown caused other problems (delayed or missed diagnosis and mental health being just two of them) but lockdown isn’t part of the current discussion.

Nb Is it even long covid if caused by stress rather than the virus directly? I do not mean to be dismissive or diminish your struggles but my point was about the risk of long covid specifically increasing.

Reactions: lucylocket61

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest, I think the numbers of unnecessary non-covid deaths during and following lockdown will far overshadow covid deaths.

To be clear, I am so very sorry that anyone had to lose their lives to this condition that seems a total lottery, in terms of impacts and outcomes, but the world has to resume normality sometime.

At the moment, we may have rules and laws in place instructing actions in the event of symptoms and positive tests, but I feel pretty certain many, many folks are already adopting Thursday's position, and have been for many weeks.

Many are not able to just not go to work if they have a headache or experience any of the plethora of covid symptoms, the list of which seems to have grown near daily.

I have been involved with out local Vaccine Hub since the beginning of the vaccination programme, and the things folks do and are happy to say they have done sometimes beggars belief. For example, turning up for a jab, within a few days of a positive test (no jab until 28 days+ after a positive test). Some could call that seperation to have the jab through fear, others mindless selfish behaviour

Over time, it appears LFTs are less accurate, once individuals have had one or more doses of the vaccine. In the words of a GP colleague, "LFTs? They're not worth the plastic they're made of".

Moving forward, how can people actually be sure they have covid? Some folks have been testing daily, when asymptomatic, "because they have grandchildren". I'm not sure if they fear giving covid to the grandchildren or fear transmission the other way.

From my perspective, the last couple of years have disabled some folks - literally and figuratively. We have all been told how to behave and what to do. Many folks just don't think for themselves any more.

Of course there will be downsides to lifting restrictions, but there will also be big advantages.

Last edited:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He’s 26 and yes he is totally vulnerable because not only is he not jabbed but because of his high anxiety and understanding of the world around him we were informed that if he contracted Covid he would be best cared for at home even if he became seriously ill, in short “we don’t have the time, staff or facilities to deal with his behaviours resulting from autism” I have spoken to many families who have been told this about there family members with what is considered challenging behaviours.

also it’s not just the very old and very sick who are vulnerable and dying, my friend just lost her very fit fully jabbed 22 year old niece to Covid a week ago.

As you say you elected not to have jabs and I respect your right to do that, he hasn’t elected he just isn’t able and is desperate for there to be a nasal application. My husband has worked right through the pandemic all over the country and we’ve worked hard to protect our son as best we can. My gripe is that choice is now been taken from us with the fact that anyone who comes into contact with our household could knowingly have Covid and doesn’t have to disclose it and that’s unfair IMHO

Having to disclose it and actually disclosing it are different things. I think it's a big leap of faith to think everyone has been playing by the same rules.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nb Is it even long covid if caused by stress

I didn’t say ‘cause’ and used inverted commas for a reason.

It’s a very physical illness but what triggers it appears to vary enormously, much like ME/CFS. What is clear is that cortisol/adrenals/vagal systems are all at play. And believe me you don’t get the LC diagnosis without having been subjected to every test going. As one friend said it’s a wonder I don’t have anaemia with the amount of blood drawn!

M

Member496333

The bit I find odd is when people who test positive without symptoms are labelled “The Infected.” On any given day the UK was indiscriminately testing more than 1 million people. At a ~3% false positive rate, that guarantees 30,000 positives each and every day. Mathematically all false. You can’t just go around testing millions and millions of healthy people without talking about the fallibility of the test being used. Yet that’s exactly what has happened.

Torres71

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've got Type 1 diabetes & am on immunosuppressants for Chron's disease. I am extremely clinically vulnerable. I have tried really hard to protect my health & that of my families during this Covid-19 pandemic. I have worked throughout this scary time running a social care company & have worked with people that I was informed after had Covid-19. Was I worried - yes I was. Miraculously I have not contracted Covid-19 at all & neither have my wife or 5 children, despite their friends having it. We have had our vaccines, worn masks, tested & done all we can to keep safe. We have tried to live normally after the lockdowns ended. With the latest directive from Boris & his numpties we are being thrown to the wolves. No testing, no masks. The rates of Covid are going down, as testing goes out the window. There's no strategy at all.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having to disclose it and actually disclosing it are different things. I think it's a big leap of faith to think everyone has been playing by the same rules.
Totally get your point and you are right, but anyway you look at it anyones choice to protect themselves and their loved ones has been totally taken out of their hands.

I have no problem with any of the other restrictions being lifted and I think the time is right for that but I feel that the particular one I’m talking about is a step too far too soon

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would have preferred testing (and isolation if testing positive) to remain in place. Sadly the government seems to have conveniently forgotten about people who cannot be vaccinated or for whom the vaccine does not work.

Reactions: lovinglife

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Totally get your point and you are right, but anyway you look at it anyones choice to protect themselves and their loved ones has been totally taken out of their hands.

I have no problem with any of the other restrictions being lifted and I think the time is right for that but I feel that the particular one I’m talking about is a step too far too soon

Thing is, it's virtually unenforceable, unless the individual is a bit daft and boasts of it. If they work in a relevant environment and have to test regularly, their results will be uploaded, so they'd be unable to go to work.

Beyond that, who will question someone being out and about? Nobody.

Bearing in mind the current variant is common cold-like, how could anyone really know anyway. Once free for all testing goes, how will anyone really have a definitive diagnosis anyway?

It is up to each individual how much they do or don't interact with others. It has never struck me that I should rely upon someone else to keep me safe from covid.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Prince Charles has had all the covid injections and the booster and has been reported as having tested positive twice!
having the jab is important because if the viral dose is not high, you will not get a severe illness except for a few!
however, there are those who have had no jabs and an extremely high viral lose and have really suffered.
every person is different, every viral load is different dependent on who is carrying it, but there are those who don't know if they have had it, or not, or had it but no !Over infect others, those who carry it but are asymptomatic!
need I go on?
There are a million possibilities!
and the rule about stats is ever present in discussion like this!
The bottom line is not about the virus!
In this country it's about power and influence!
And the freedom to infect with impunity!
Just like Salisbury!
And the virus has interrupted the path into the abyss!

The weekend storms seen four fatalities, and it was headline news in all the media and press!
And how many road deaths? can you give the number of deaths related to covid over the same time, the hospitilisations?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thing is, it's virtually unenforceable, unless the individual is a bit daft and boasts of it. If they work in a relevant environment and have to test regularly, their results will be uploaded, so they'd be unable to go to work.

Beyond that, who will question someone being out and about? Nobody.

Bearing in mind the current variant is common cold-like, how could anyone really know anyway. Once free for all testing goes, how will anyone really have a definitive diagnosis anyway?

It is up to each individual how much they do or don't interact with others. It has never struck me that I should rely upon someone else to keep me safe from covid.
I think I’m being misunderstood with my replies, its not the “out and about” people I’m worried about - I’ve been mixing with these throughout the pandemic - and I/we can still do what we’ve always done - eg sanitizer, keep a comfortable distance, mask wearing if I want to - it’s the people my hubby will spend many hours with at work in confined spaces, people as in my previous example coming into my sons safe space (home) for prolonged periods of time,

I’m certainly not relying on anyone else to keep my son safe, I’ve never had anyone before, during or as I’m finding out after Covid had any help with this- we’ve been doing it quite successfully and actually as I’m replying to this I’ve just realised I find that comment a bit upsetting and patronising and I guess maybe you are proving my point of “I’m alright Jack” is going to be the order of the day

Status
Not open for further replies.