Type 2 Cooking or baking

pms543

Hi
As a diabetic type 2 and also Coeliac, most low Carb recipes use almond flour,coconut flours. I’ve tried few cake recipes and can’t get used to the texture…
I’m wondering if anyone bakes using gluten free flours and sugar alternatives??
Much appreciated

Thanks x

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most gluten free flours are very high in carbs at 55g per 100g although slightly lower than general purpose flour which is 75g per 100g so I suspect that many if not all T2 on here don’t use it. There are other alternatives to almond and coconut flour I’ve never used them as I don’t really bake much just a mug cake now and then.

have you tried lupin flour? Or mixing different low carb flours together, although that can be a bit of a challenge as they all have different absorption rates and ratio to other ingredients- good luck let us know if you find something different that works

pms543

Most gluten free flours are very high in carbs at 55g per 100g although slightly lower than general purpose flour which is 75g per 100g so I suspect that many if not all T2 on here don’t use it. There are other alternatives to almond and coconut flour I’ve never used them as I don’t really bake much just a mug cake now and then.

have you tried lupin flour? Or mixing different low carb flours together, although that can be a bit of a challenge as they all have different absorption rates and ratio to other ingredients- good luck let us know if you find something different that works

I agree! I don’t know if am that good at getting the right balance of flours.
I totally understand most type 2 would avoid gf flours but for the odd occasional treat I might have a go and see how it affects my blood sugars!
It’s so frustrating but there must be a way lol

I appreciate the help off
you both. The website may offer something but there’s so many ingredients I’d need too! Can’t win

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’ve had some success with amending non-low carb recipes to make them low carb, particularly Rachel Allen’s recipes. I use almond flour or ground almonds (you may find almond flour more palatable than ground almonds - finer ground) and erythritol.
Use 90% of the recipe’s weight of flour for the almond flour.
Use 25% LESS butter than the amount in the recipe.
Use same amount of erythritol as the sugar in the recipe.

Don’t forget to include baking powder if the recipe specifies self raising flour. Recommended amounts vary when googled but I use 1 teaspoon for each 110g of almond flour. Seems to work.

good luck

Reactions: pms543

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The texture may be different becuase ground almonds will never be as fine as flour, but I still find it acceptable. Start with something like brownies.
Also I hear some people say the cakes are always better a day later
Also be aware that different sweetners have different ratios to sugar, soem are to be used equally by weight eg erythritol some, half as much eg trivia (but that is a brand and are changing their components so who knows how much in future), some like stevia drops can be as much as 100 to 1
Of course all that affects the volume and therefore the final result.

I use a lot of the recipes from here https://www.ketofitnessclub.com/. English measures and ingredients. Try the coffe cake or the cinnamon one. They also explain sweeteners well.

Do let's us know how you get on

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make banana & walnut bread from sugar free londoner.com
I always omit the sweetener, not for any part reason
I sometimes use ground almonds but prefer it made with coconut flouf
Only sweet thing I make, could eat it every day