I have had the omnipod Dash since December

heatherparris

I have had high blood sugars for 5 or more hours after I change the pod. I definitely pinch up and have changed my site regularly, I leave on old pod even though deactivated for a few hours just encase any residue insulin is there. I think the cannula must not be going in deep enough even though it shows the pink dot. My diet is the same. I have been a diabetic for 45 years so know how to monitor it; Have the Freestyle libre 2 sensor so can test my blood sugars as many times as necessary. Have real doubts about the omnipod anyone else have similar problems?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I have had high blood sugars for 5 or more hours after I change the pod. I definitely pinch up and have changed my site regularly, I leave on old pod even though deactivated for a few hours just encase any residue insulin is there. I think the cannula must not be going in deep enough even though it shows the pink dot. My diet is the same. I have been a diabetic for 45 years so know how to monitor it; Have the Freestyle libre 2 sensor so can test my blood sugars as many times as necessary. Have real doubts about the omnipod anyone else have similar problems?
Hi there Heather.....when i first started using omnipod i too noticed a rise in shoogs after a pod change --- i spoke to quite a few other pump users about this and it appears it is a fairly common occurence......so what i do to attempt to slow or stop the rise .......

sometimes i put a small correction bolus on the old pod just before i change it ( 0.5u to 1u)
sometimes i put an increased temporary basal on the new pod to get a pool of insulin started at the new site ( i vary between 15 and 35% for 2 hours depending on what my shoogs are at pod change time )
sometimes i do a small bolus on the new pod site to get that pool of insulin started

depending on where my shoogs are at pod change time sometimes i will do 2 or even all 3 of those things.

perhaps talk to your DSN for advice as well as they deal with a lot of pump patients .

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Heather, had the Omnipod Dash for a similar length of time as yourself and experienced the exact same issue.

What resolved the issue for me was switching my Pod Change time to just before bed as 1) this would mean I wasn't eating during the time my Blood Sugars were running higher- this alone made a massive difference and 2) this was also the time of day when my Basal rate was the lowest so the Pod not operating at 100% effectiveness had the smallest effect it could possibly have.

Reactions: himtoo

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Heather . I have been using the Omnipod dash for over a year now and also experience similar issues. I do not have any other suggestions to make. I have tried them and they do help.

Good luck

heatherparris

Hi Heather, had the Omnipod Dash for a similar length of time as yourself and experienced the exact same issue.

What resolved the issue for me was switching my Pod Change time to just before bed as 1) this would mean I wasn't eating during the time my Blood Sugars were running higher- this alone made a massive difference and 2) this was also the time of day when my Basal rate was the lowest so the Pod not operating at 100% effectiveness had the smallest effect it could possibly have.
I tried your method changing pod before bed and BS was ok on waking (won'r give you values because live in Europe and different readings); Then gave myself my normal 5 units bolus and then 2 hours later really high BS 325 (18mmol) gave myself another 3 units

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tried your method changing pod before bed and BS was ok on waking (won'r give you values because live in Europe and different readings); Then gave myself my normal 5 units bolus and then 2 hours later really high BS 325 (18mmol) gave myself another 3 units
If that was me, I’d suspect there were other issues to solve than just the pod change issue.

Do you normally see highs (or higher than typical readings) in the morning?

Mazzi724

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Heather I am also having a lot of similar problems when I’ve changed the pod. the other issue is I think I am catching the pod and slightly dislodging the needle. I find that if im wearing trousers or jeans this can happen when I wear it on the thighs which im
Going to avoid that area unless wearing a dress or skirt. I am finding limited areas to wear the pod due to the frequency if changing sites

heatherparris

Where do you find the best site for the pod ? the nurse said high up on your stomach or fleshy part of the back I had been using my thighs and arm but no difference in high bs in fact last time I took pod off my thigh it bled profusely. Seriously thinking of going back on pens. Have lost a lot of weight and nurse said probably because of high blood sugars. I am going to try giving my bolus 20 mins before meal and changing pod before bed time. Any other suggestions would be great I do not have any faith in this omnipod dash….

Laura80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep same issues here. Huge peaks overnights when I'm not moving or eating! Considering going back to a manual, tethered pump. A real shame!

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
What I do now when the new pod canula is inserting is, I push down the pod just slightly but mostly also push the pod in direction of canular end. Seems to help me.