Type 1 Any link between diabetes and feeling cold?

andyfrith

Hi,

I'm 36 years old and I've been a type 1 diabetic for nearly 20 years. In the last couple of years, I have started feeling quite cold, even in warm weather and a well heated house. It feels like an internal cold, rather than a response to the environment. At times it is just my hands feeling very cold, other times it is all over. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

I've had numerous GP/consultant conversations about this, and have ruled out things like Raynaud's disease. I am on thyroxine for (what is now) an underactive thyroid, but my thyroid levels have been checked and are ok. Other things like iron levels have been checked as well.

Could this be just something that diabetes can do over a long period? The various doctors I've spoken to don't seem to have any ideas, nor do they ever link it with my diabetes. It has been getting worse, and more irritating - so keen to hear of any ideas I can provide to my doctors!

Thanks
Andy

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Hi,

I'm 36 years old and I've been a type 1 diabetic for nearly 20 years. In the last couple of years, I have started feeling quite cold, even in warm weather and a well heated house. It feels like an internal cold, rather than a response to the environment. At times it is just my hands feeling very cold, other times it is all over. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

I've had numerous GP/consultant conversations about this, and have ruled out things like Raynaud's disease. I am on thyroxine for (what is now) an underactive thyroid, but my thyroid levels have been checked and are ok. Other things like iron levels have been checked as well.

Could this be just something that diabetes can do over a long period? The various doctors I've spoken to don't seem to have any ideas, nor do they ever link it with my diabetes. It has been getting worse, and more irritating - so keen to hear of any ideas I can provide to my doctors!

Thanks
Andy
Interesting Andy, I'm 31 years type 1 with an underactive thyroid but blood levels just checked & I'm also OK. I am always cold with multi layers especially my hands. It'll be Interesting to see if anyone else experiences this. Mo

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Andy

I was diagnosed Type 1 about 2 1/2 years ago. I am also on thyroxine, have been since childhood. I am also a multi layer person.Will be interesting to hear if anyone is experiencing this

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No idea if it's relevant or helps, but I'm a t2 and used to be a warm person. Since diagnosis and losing 3 stone, I'm now always cold, especially my feet. Whether is the diabetes, the weight loss, my age or anything else I have no idea!

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had T1 for nearly 20 years. I weigh the same now as I did when diagnosed.
I work from home and most of the time happy for my central heating to be set at 16 degrees during the day.
In other words, I do not feel the cold especially.

However, I do have Raynaud’s (possibly another autoimmune condition) so whilst my body is not cold, my extremities need added warmth to keep the blood flowing. I have hand warmers on my desk for this.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
T1 for 55 years and I'm always cold in winter, especially my extremities. I wear multi layers. In summer my extremities are still cold, but I feel ill when it gets above about 22 degrees, it's as if my body doesn't regulate my temperature properly.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

T1 for nearly 46 years. If I’m stood about in the cold regardless of what I wear, after a while I can feel it?
But with activity, I can/need to remove the layers & quite happily stand resting afterwards in a tee shirt or thin layer out in the cold..
Prepping for bed in winter I can feel cold but sometimes I can wake hot & need to remove the bed wear..

It’s rare we need the heating on. Just to crank up when prepping for work on those early winter morns to take the chill off it.
Even heating the van early mornings is just to loose the frost off the screen.

It’s all pending on my activity level in the cold for me..

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I, too get temperature fluctuations, but I think it is due to the introduction to a new medication.
Hi Andy

I was diagnosed Type 1 about 2 1/2 years ago. I am also on thyroxine, have been since childhood. I am also a multi layer person.Will be interesting to hear if anyone is experiencing this

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
No idea if it's relevant or helps, but I'm a t2 and used to be a warm person. Since diagnosis and losing 3 stone, I'm now always cold, especially my feet. Whether is the diabetes, the weight loss, my age or anything else I have no idea!
I am the same. my feet and hands and after a work out I am boiled but within an hour I a reaching for my hoodies and jumpers. It leaves me cold all day - the next day I am back to normal temperature. Hubby says its because a am a skinny minnie now lol

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 1 here of nearly 60 years and for as long as I remember feeling cold has been a constant pain in the neck. So many times folks around me complain of feeling warm when I am shivering. Yes I am thin but even layering up usually doesn't take that cold feeling away. Bill