Type 1 Sudden increase in insulin sensitivity

smoggyTom

Hi guys

Have just found this place, I'm 30 years old and have had type 1 diabetes since 2003.
Recently if have had a few periods where I have needed to reduce my insulin significantly because I'm having so many hypos,
This is the third time it has happened to me in a couple of months, each of the previous times it has last around 2 weeks and then got back to levels I'm more familiar with for a couple of weeks before it has happened again.

I've reduced my bolus from 18 units -10 and my fast acting from 1 unit per 8g carbs to 1 unit per 15g carbs, I've left the bolus constant in the periods where I have felt more normal I have need to increase my fast acting back to stop me being sky high
There's been no change to my activity level, the main other thing which I have found can effect sensitivity is the weather and although it is a little warmer I haven't experience such change for going from winter to spring in my previous years.

I have spoken to the nurses from the hospital where i get my regular care, who said it was unusual but didn't see any major cause for concern and I should monitor my glucose levels to make sure I'm not going low too often. I've dropped a little weight from 100kg to 95kg and have had a rash which also flares up every now and again over the last couple of months. I've seen my GP who just felt it would be some kind of infection. However it is tough not to worry when I can't understand why unusual things are happening to me.
I think(hope) there's a good chance I'm over thinking it and I have been told by numerous medical professionals it's nothing to worry about.

I just wanted to ask if anyone had ever experienced the same thing or has any ideas what might be causing this?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys

Have just found this place, I'm 30 years old and have had type 1 diabetes since 2003.
Recently if have had a few periods where I have needed to reduce my insulin significantly because I'm having so many hypos,
This is the third time it has happened to me in a couple of months, each of the previous times it has last around 2 weeks and then got back to levels I'm more familiar with for a couple of weeks before it has happened again.

I've reduced my bolus from 18 units -10 and my fast acting from 1 unit per 8g carbs to 1 unit per 15g carbs, I've left the bolus constant in the periods where I have felt more normal I have need to increase my fast acting back to stop me being sky high
There's been no change to my activity level, the main other thing which I have found can effect sensitivity is the weather and although it is a little warmer I haven't experience such change for going from winter to spring in my previous years.

I have spoken to the nurses from the hospital where i get my regular care, who said it was unusual but didn't see any major cause for concern and I should monitor my glucose levels to make sure I'm not going low too often. I've dropped a little weight from 100kg to 95kg and have had a rash which also flares up every now and again over the last couple of months. I've seen my GP who just felt it would be some kind of infection. However it is tough not to worry when I can't understand why unusual things are happening to me.
I think(hope) there's a good chance I'm over thinking it and I have been told by numerous medical professionals it's nothing to worry about.

I just wanted to ask if anyone had ever experienced the same thing or has any ideas what might be causing this?

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

oddly, I’ve been experiencing something like this lately… I have always been more basal sensitive in warmer weather & climate.
Now even my bolus to carb levels need a tweak too? I don’t exactly feel the recent temperature is key in this. (I’m in the UK.) Usually, if I head for warmer climates on holiday? (Or we get a scorcher.)

I’ve been T1 since 1976. It’s going to be an interesting game of “Cludo.”

What insulin/s are you prescribed?

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys

Hello
Just an idea, might be nothing to do with it! But I have had to adjust my insulin a lot (both up and down) every time I have had the Covid vaccine and Covid itself. My nurse tells me I am not alone with this. Could this be the case with you?

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys

Losing weight does effect insulin sensitivity. If I lost the amount of weight you lost my sensitivity would spike to. This is why starting points for Basal doses are tied to your weight.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Hi guys

Me too! But I think it is due to a change of medication. I have gone down from 42 or so, units of insulin to 10 to attain about the same average of blood sugar numbers trough the day. I do eat less, but not that much less.

smoggyTom

Hello
Just an idea, might be nothing to do with it! But I have had to adjust my insulin a lot (both up and down) every time I have had the Covid vaccine and Covid itself. My nurse tells me I am not alone with this. Could this be the case with you?

could be possible, since covid rules were relaxed I've not really done many lateral flows and when I did have covid for certain I around christmas time this change didn't happen but I know our bodies don't always respond in the same way to illnesses. Especially when we still don't much about covid compared to things which been around much longer.

smoggyTom

Losing weight does effect insulin sensitivity. If I lost the amount of weight you lost my sensitivity would spike to. This is why starting points for Basal doses are tied to your weight.

Thanks for this, I had felt it hasn't been a significant enough amount of weight but could be the case.

Reactions: StewM

smoggyTom

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

oddly, I’ve been experiencing something like this lately… I have always been more basal sensitive in warmer weather & climate.
Now even my bolus to carb levels need a tweak too? I don’t exactly feel the recent temperature is key in this. (I’m in the UK.) Usually, if I head for warmer climates on holiday? (Or we get a scorcher.)

I’ve been T1 since 1976. It’s going to be an interesting game of “Cludo.”

What insulin/s are you prescribed?

Hello

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, strange goings on but if the team who does my care aren't concerned then part of me thinks I shouldn't be since they will have seen a lot more than me!

I use Lantus Solostar and novorapid.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, strange goings on but if the team who does my care aren't concerned then part of me thinks I shouldn't be since they will have seen a lot more than me!

I use Lantus Solostar and novorapid.

I use Lantus & Novorapid myself.
Even before the whole covid thing, I've noticed Lantus can be sketchy. Even seeming to work after it should have tailed off a couple of hours prior?
Though I've had the covid jabs. I don't buy into it being a factor.

smoggyTom

I use Lantus & Novorapid myself.
Even before the whole covid thing, I've noticed Lantus can be sketchy. Even seeming to work after it should have tailed off a couple of hours prior?
Though I've had the covid jabs. I don't buy into it being a factor.

I split my Lantus, I do it twice a day 12 hours apart. I have been told that it can vary from person to person, some people it may only last 22 hours but for some it could last 27.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I split my Lantus, I do it twice a day 12 hours apart. I have been told that it can vary from person to person, some people it may only last 22 hours but for some it could last 27.
I do a single dose at 22.00.
I can find myself when gigging, leaving the dose till 2am? I don't eat prior to a gig, so the last meal bolused for would be midday.
I can happily go the night till 2am cruising between 4.8 & 5.5mmol. Since using a Libre the last few years its easy to spot..

Now you would think any form of "stage fright" would have scootched me up?