Insulin action issue

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
Sometimes it seems like my insulin (novorapid) is not working. Sometimes I have to do 3 injections for blood sugar to drop from 15 to normal, and sometimes I inject the same amount as I needed in total the last time and my blood sugar drops to dangerously low levels very quickly. I'm T1 for 18 years, but this has only recently started happening
I wonder if anyone else has stumbled onto that.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You mentioned needing more insulin to drop from 15.
It is very common to experience insulin resistance when our levels rise to that level. I can need double the correction ratio when my levels are over 15 to what I would use to calculate a correction for around 8 or 9.

I have not used NovoRapid for a few years as I now use Fiasp. I find that the speed Fiasp works depends upon my levels. If am I in the 4s, Fiasp starts working instantly, If I am over 15, it can take an hour to appear to have any affect. This is very pronounced with Fiasp but I recent read someone experiencing the same with NovoRapid.

Would either of these things explain your recent observations?

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
You mentioned needing more insulin to drop from 15.
It is very common to experience insulin resistance when our levels rise to that level. I can need double the correction ratio when my levels are over 15 to what I would use to calculate a correction for around 8 or 9.

I have not used NovoRapid for a few years as I now use Fiasp. I find that the speed Fiasp works depends upon my levels. If am I in the 4s, Fiasp starts working instantly, If I am over 15, it can take an hour to appear to have any affect. This is very pronounced with Fiasp but I recent read someone experiencing the same with NovoRapid.

Would either of these things explain your recent observations?

That sounds about right. Thank you very mush!

Reactions: In Response

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It may also depend on what you ate that drove you up to 15. It's my experience that not all carbs affect me equally.