Apps to give insulin

steveo4

Does anyone use an app to give their insulin. I was going to use my sugar but you can only give standard bolusses you can't do extended or multiwave bolusses. You also can't do tbr's either.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you are talking about the different bolus patterns, I assume you have a pump
Can you clarify what you want from a bolus dosing app that you don't get from your pump's bolus wizard?

steveo4

Instead of using the pump handset Is there any app to deliver bolusses and give extended multi wave and tbrs. I have seen the my sugar app but that only allows you to give standard bolusses only. I'm looking for one that let's you do all of them.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Instead of using the pump handset Is there any app to deliver bolusses and give extended multi wave and tbrs. I have seen the my sugar app but that only allows you to give standard bolusses only. I'm looking for one that let's you do all of them.
I do not understand what you want. Are you looking for a bolus calculator or an app that talks to your pump to administer the dose?
If. The former, does your pump not do the calculations?
If the latter, this depends upon your pump. My Medtrum pump is managed via an app but I know, for example, that the OmniPod has a separate PdM.

steveo4

I'm looking for an app that connects to my pump and allows me to give bolusses instead of having to use the handset all the time. I have an insight pump and use the freestyle libre 2 .

derivadow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think... the only pump that can be controlled directly via an app in the way you're asking is the Medtrum Nano (apologies if this is wrong). I'm assuming you don't mean control the pump as in looping...?

8amoreno

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Tandem is releasing a software update this summer that you will be able to use an app. I was told starting out it will only support iphone and Samsung S20 initially.

JJCNsnr

Writing an app to do bolus calculations is relatively simple. Getting it to control the pump is the really hard part, and at the end of the day, the most important thing for convenience. Having a simple bolus calculator built into my Medtronic 780 has been a huge benefit.

derivadow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As I understand it there is also a bit of a regularity hurdle to get over too. If a phone/app controls insulin delivery it needs to be certified as a medical device. Medtrum get around this by having the default setting configured so you need to tap the pump to initiate the bolus. There is also an option to disable this setting!

CheeseSeaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People arguing over silly stuff
Does anyone use Androidaps to control their diabetes? Is it easy to start using?
I'm changing pumps shortly (from Medtronic 640g to Omnipod Dash) to do just that.

Means I can use my Libre 2 (with MiaoMiao) as a CGM, collect that data and send it to Nightscout, then use AndroidAPS to control the Omnipod based on that data.

Its called 'Hybrid Closed Loop' as you still need to tell AndroidAPS amounts you've eaten, but if you go high or low it alters insulin delivery to cater for it.

Medtronic have a system to do this (ties you to their sensors and pumps) and lots of other manufacturers are issuing the same systems soon (Omnipod 5 is approved in the USA but not yet the UK, which will do a similar thing).

AndroidAPS has more features and will keep evolving - so my preferred choice at the moment, but you do need to do a lot of homework to get it set-up and running.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Other than the handset that bluetoothed doses to my Roche pump I'm not aware of anything that both calculates the dose and makes the delivery happen if that is what you meant?
However if you are using a pump then as previously discussed it is all about having the settings correct for you, your level of insulin resistance (carbs to bolus and correction dosage) , basal and exercise/illness/stress basal patterns as you suggest above.
Why would an app be any different to your pump handset given it will be using the same algorithms?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
P.S> I am using a Tandem pump with Dexcom sensor which is a closed loop and has an Android app which sadly seems to disagree with the pump in my case. This enables constant adjustments to doses and has worked really well for me provided I stick with a low carb diet such that it doesn't have to deal with massive spikes.

CheeseSeaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People arguing over silly stuff
I would like to look at androidaps but it isn't listed for my playstore.
It's not listed due to the nature of the software. In the US its not software approved by the FDA - it's DIY, so if someone supplied it to you and you made an error with it and ended up in hospital etc potentially you could sue the supplier. Not sure it would work the same way in Europe, but its the same regardless of location.

You need to compile it yourself and load it on your phone.

This takes a bit of doing but clear instructions are on androidAPS: Search for androidAPS build APK