Electricity

WreckTangle

I don’t know if I am posting in the right place but I need some advice.

With the electricity prices that have gone up it’s becoming near impossible to pay for it.
I store insulin in my fridge, so I’m worried that when I run out of electricity and can’t afford to top up which is right now, as I don’t get any money until next week, is there anything I can do?
I don’t want my insulin to end up unusable. I know it can stay out of the fridge for a while but still it’s literally all my insulin.

is there any way to get help with this if it runs out? I also won’t be able to charge my phone or meter because I have a libre sensor. I don’t have a finger pricker anymore.

I’m with edf energy. Do they offer anything?

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Are you on a key metre? I think there are grants (that have to be paid back) to assist due to the cost of living rise etc. It might be worth checking out the Citizens Advice or something. Get in touch with edf they may be able to help. Hope you get it sorted I have been there and know exactly what you are going through.

WreckTangle

Are you on a key metre? I think there are grants (that have to be paid back) to assist due to the cost of living rise etc. It might be worth checking out the Citizens Advice or something. Get in touch with edf they may be able to help. Hope you get it sorted I have been there and know exactly what you are going through.

im on a smart meter because they were doing away with the key meters. I wish they didn’t but now we’re stuck with the smart meter.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t know if I am posting in the right place but I need some advice.

With the electricity prices that have gone up it’s becoming near impossible to pay for it.
I store insulin in my fridge, so I’m worried that when I run out of electricity and can’t afford to top up which is right now, as I don’t get any money until next week, is there anything I can do?
I don’t want my insulin to end up unusable. I know it can stay out of the fridge for a while but still it’s literally all my insulin.

is there any way to get help with this if it runs out? I also won’t be able to charge my phone or meter because I have a libre sensor. I don’t have a finger pricker anymore.

I’m with edf energy. Do they offer anything?

Hi,

I’m sorry to read you are in this predicament. Just found this on a quick search. Contact your supplier, they may help?
https://www.edfenergy.com/PSR

Reactions: WreckTangle

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
im on a smart meter because they were doing away with the key meters. I wish they didn’t but now we’re stuck with the smart meter.
I would get in touch with EDF and CAB. Are you on any benefits as there is the warm home discount where you get can you apply and you reclaim £140.00 back. It would not help now as it starts back again in October, but its something you can look into. I am with co op energy at the moment and they accept the warm home discount and they have not increased as much as other suppliers but not sure if that's for existing customers or not - worth looking to. If its a smart metre I don't think they can just cut you off. There are reduced water rates I think its an Assist scheme. If you are in a pickle with the water bill , you repay so much over 2 years and then any debt is wiped off and you start again. Council tax etc you can look into also as there is help out there. Hope you get sorted.

Reactions: WreckTangle

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am very sad to read bout your situation.
You have some great advice for contacts above.
Regarding your insulin, it can survive out of the fridge for up to a month. It may last longer if you can keep it somewhere insulated from direct heat such as wrapped up in some clothing.
So, whilst the lack of electricity is terrible, storing your insulin should not add to your anxiety.