Perspiration When Eating

Rachael96

Hi All,

Does anyone else sweat when they eat food. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when I was 14 and only started to sweat since the diagnosis. I only sweat in my head area, nowhere else and only when I chew food. It sounds really bizarre but just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience? I have research this to try and find some answers and it says that it could be related to nerve damage, where the brain suspects you are physically active and responds by sweating to try and cool you down. I’m not allergic to any foods and have cut things out of my diet in case I have some sort of intolerance but I don’t. Can anyone help? Thanks x :)

Reactions: Loveday8

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I sweat a bit with eating hot curry, or food that contains chillies.

It's one of the reasons that people who live in tropical asian countries eat a lot of curry as a method of cooling down.

D

Deleted member 543160

I sometimes - very rarely and also at other times - get a sudden and short sharp cold sweat while eating. It hasn't happened often enough to associate it with anything I'm eating or have eaten at the time though.

I've seen similar links on Google to the gustatory sweating link that @Dark Horse has posted. Google also has links to possible causes of sweating in diabetics, related to glucose levels.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

Does anyone else sweat when they eat food. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when I was 14 and only started to sweat since the diagnosis. I only sweat in my head area, nowhere else and only when I chew food. It sounds really bizarre but just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience? I have research this to try and find some answers and it says that it could be related to nerve damage, where the brain suspects you are physically active and responds by sweating to try and cool you down. I’m not allergic to any foods and have cut things out of my diet in case I have some sort of intolerance but I don’t. Can anyone help? Thanks x :)

I know this is in the type 1 forums but it is something that impacts wider i suspect

Interestingly there are some foods that can cause a sweat response, @Riva_Roxaban mentions curries but another one of which is cheese

https://magazine.winerist.com/drink/are-cheese-sweats-a-thing

personally I get a runny nose quite often when I eat. Never really looked into why and just considered it one of my oddities :)

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
personally I get a runny nose quite often when I eat. Never really looked into why and just considered it one of my oddities :)
I have this occasionally as well, it's only on certain foods which I cannot recall off hand are.

You are not alone.:D

Reactions: Andydragon