Type 1 for 50 years

Cathysbd

Hi, I’m Cathy. I was diagnosed in 1973 round Easter time. I’m 59. I’m on T-Slim hybrid closed loop pump with DexcomG6 which I love. I do miss Omnipod for swimming though. I work as an Ophthalmic Technician. I have mild background retinopathy and some kidney function impairment, not much. I’m trying to lose weight (about 46 lbs), I’m on Ozempic once a week to help. Also on Metformin, Atorvastatin and Ramipril for donkeys years! I started on glass syringes with a blue stand case full of surgical spirit. I initially had to count black lines (but not red ones ). I used clinitest tablets to test wee and ketone tablets too. Things have changed soooooo much. my consultant at The Royal in Liverpool has applied for the Nabarro 50 yr medal for me, whooo hooo. I have a sweet tooth and sometimes binge on chocolate etc but am trying to limit this. I find being on the pump great, i never eat breakfast and blood sugars are fine. Pre-pump my hba1c was 90, then 70 then stuck round 60 - my last one a few months ago was 45. I also have Rheumatoid arthritis on methotrexate and asthma (on Fostair) - other than this am doing pretty good.
I’m proud of my diabetes self! xxxxxx

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi, I’m Cathy. I was diagnosed in 1973 round Easter time. I’m 59. I’m on T-Slim hybrid closed loop pump with DexcomG6 which I love. I do miss Omnipod for swimming though. I work as an Ophthalmic Technician. I have mild background retinopathy and some kidney function impairment, not much. I’m trying to lose weight (about 46 lbs), I’m on Ozempic once a week to help. Also on Metformin, Atorvastatin and Ramipril for donkeys years! I started on glass syringes with a blue stand case full of surgical spirit. I initially had to count black lines (but not red ones ). I used clinitest tablets to test wee and ketone tablets too. Things have changed soooooo much. my consultant at The Royal in Liverpool has applied for the Nabarro 50 yr medal for me, whooo hooo. I have a sweet tooth and sometimes binge on chocolate etc but am trying to limit this. I find being on the pump great, i never eat breakfast and blood sugars are fine. Pre-pump my hba1c was 90, then 70 then stuck round 60 - my last one a few months ago was 45. I also have Rheumatoid arthritis on methotrexate and asthma (on Fostair) - other than this am doing pretty good.
syringes.jpg

I bet these bring back memories. Keep up the good work!

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
View attachment 59654
I remember all that gear in the picture. I have still kept some for nostalgia. I have been Type 1 for nearly 48 years. I think I have done pretty well with my diabetes so far with no complications except that I have been recently diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease and Stage A CLL which is way more worrying. Thank you for the memories.

Twini

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hiya I am with you I am in my 51st year of type 1 and yes lots have changed I now am on the Omnipod but struggling ………. Plus my Diabetic consultant expressed to my nurse to send away for the 50 years medal last year but to no avail might sound daft but I was really looking forward to receiving it too anyway we’ll done to you x

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
I remember all that gear in the picture. I have still kept some for nostalgia. I have been Type 1 for nearly 48 years. I think I have done pretty well with my diabetes so far with no complications except that I have been recently diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease and Stage A CLL which is way more worrying. Thank you for the memories.
I am very sorry to hear about your latest unwelcome developments and can only wish all the very best. You deserve a medal already! Best of luck.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Hiya I am with you I am in my 51st year of type 1 and yes lots have changed I now am on the Omnipod but struggling ………. Plus my Diabetic consultant expressed to my nurse to send away for the 50 years medal last year but to no avail might sound daft but I was really looking forward to receiving it too anyway we’ll done to you x
You could try using the Email on this link:
Good luck and congratulations!

Reactions: Twini

Flowercity

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Cathy I have had diabetes for 42 years. Yes you deserve a metal! Thanks you for your post and yes I use the dexcom 6 also and what a difference that makes! I remember poking my finger several times a times and I never knew whether the sugars were on their way up or down!

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Hi Grant you also deserve a metal. I have had diabetes for 42 years so I can relate!
Keep up the good work. When I got my medal in 2009, the headmaster where I worked said "You got a medal?" What, for just being alive?" What a little dear! :)

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Yep remember all that “ modern“ stuff 42 years for me , you don’t show a blood sugar meter though oh that’s right there weren’t any how did we manage , added to the fact there was no internet , mobile phones , so information was limited , but we managed with a lot less tech and advancement than we have today ,
should give the modern day diabetics a lot of hope for a long life ,

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Yep remember all that “ modern“ stuff 42 years for me , you don’t show a blood sugar meter though oh that’s right there weren’t any how did we manage , added to the fact there was no internet , mobile phones , so information was limited , but we managed with a lot less tech and advancement than we have today ,
should give the modern day diabetics a lot of hope for a long life ,
Ah, how silly of me!
IMG_9650.JPG

From the Primeval to the "modern" Note the individually wrapped testing strip!
Keep up your great journey - your posts are always so positive!

Reactions: saky

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
can I ask a stupid question? Why do ozempic and Metformin need for t1? Can we have insulin resistance? You've ruined my little world! I always thought that insulin is the cause of insulin resistance, and since we inject it quite a bit, the development of this is impossible.
Heh, I have only 31 years left to live in order to get a medal for not dying

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
View attachment 59654
Look at the size of those needles ! no wonder us old gits ended up with fat pockets , the only memorabilia I have is an old hypo alert wrist watch that used to wake me at night if I sweated too much .

• Agree
Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
can I ask a stupid question? Why do ozempic and Metformin need for t1? Can we have insulin resistance? You've ruined my little world! I always thought that insulin is the cause of insulin resistance, and since we inject it quite a bit, the development of this is impossible.
Heh, I have only 31 years left to live in order to get a medal for not dying
It will be interesting to see what will be considered "modern" in 2054! I can see a science fiction novel brewing! I hope most of us will be able to witness further unimaginable development in managing/eliminating the old dog. Here's to at least 31 years!

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Congratulations and hello

Im in my 49th year so recall clinitest tablets and the like.
I was 6 when diagnosed and the needles felt like harpoons!!
Do you remember the injectagun?
It was a weapon of mass destruction !!

I'm working and driving and only add this to give a bit of hope and optimism to newly diagnosed members....

Back in the day the idea of pumps and 4mm needles and indeed free needles along with CGMs would have been a pipe dream....

Live long and prosper

Tony

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I can remember the injectagun my mum and dad bought me one for my 17 th birthday , boy the bruises that used to give me !
Like Tony said to give optimism to newly diagnosed im'e in my 48 th year and not had one complication .

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I was diagnosed in 1976.. I could only dream of the tech we got now.. The blue needle case. I lost the base on mine.

I was an a band years ago with a gold medalist. He showed it me one evening whilst having a session.

Reactions: Flowercity

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Great to reminisce , technology has advanced so much and its great to have it , one thing I think has developed as much as tech is attitude , both with patients and professionals, we as patients want to know and understand as much as we can , whereas when I first got diabetes just basically did as I was told , as far as professionals are concerned don’t tend to get “ told off” if sugar levels were “ bad”

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
in my 48 th year and not had one complication .

wow! How cool! How did you do it?
For my 19 years of diabetes, I have only a mild form of polyneuropathy, mainly it is manifested by the fact that my feet can freeze even in the heat

Reactions: Flowercity