Dexcom G4 CGM System

robynopolis

Hello there!

This is my first post :)

My name is Robyn, I'm 23 and was diagnosed in the year 2000.

I was just wondering if anybody out there in the UK is using the Dexcom G4 CGM system? I am very interested in using this system, and will be making calls on monday to the manufacturers, etc, to enquire about availability and pricing for self-funding. However, whilst on the manufacturers website (http://www.dexcom.com/en-gb/Dexcom-g4) they give a link to the "local distributor" at the bottom of the page, which redirects you to http://www.advancedtherapeuticsuk.com. However, when on this site there is no mention of the Dexcom G4 CGM system, only the previous system: Dexcom Seven Plus.

Does anybody know where someone in the UK can buy a Dexcom G4 system?

Or if it is not yet available here (and if so, when will it be)?
I read somewhere that it was available with some sort of pump, but I don't want the pump - only the CGM system.

I am also wondering if anyone out there in the UK is currently using the G4, or even the Seven Plus, and what your opinion of it is, where you got it, etc...

I personally believe that it would significantly improve my life - so much so, in fact, that I am fully willing to pay through the nose for it, haha. But I believe that the price would be worth it for what I would get: a healthy life. Plus, I don't plan on being on it for the rest of my life - but feel that it could help teach me how to look after my diabetes without it. I won't go into all that now, but yeah I just wanted to see if anyone has any information about the Dexcom G4, when it will be available, or anything at all like that... I will post my findings here on monday/tuesday after calling the appropriate people.

Thanks a lot!
Robyn x

Bucksgirl

Hi Robyn,

I've been using the Dexcom G4 CGM since it arrived in the UK in early July and have found it life-transforming. Although Advanced Therapeutics don't seem to have updated their website, I ordered it from them and they have been hugely helpful. Talk to John Hughes there.

I lost my hypo-warning signs earlier this year when trying to tighten up my control with my Omnipod pump with the help of my DSN so really appreciate the freedom from worry and danger that the G4 has given me. Although expensive, the sensors so far have lasted from 2 to 4 weeks so not costing half as much as I expected which is good news. I used the system in a very hot climate (up to 48 degrees) this summer, plus plenty of submersion in sea-water with no problems. It receives the BG readings from the transmitter up to 6 meters away which is really helpful, plus has a good range of warning alarms for going too high, too low and rapidly falling etc.

Please ask if you need more info as I'm very glad to help.

david252

Hi Robyn,

I've just started using one, it came with my new vibe pump (had been using a medtronic for last few years). So far I'm pretty impressed. It's certainly better than the medtronic version that I tried - it's very neat and compact and I forget that I'm wearing one. The medtronic CGM sensor was more bulky and flapped around a bit as the transmitter hung off the end of the electrode and tended to catch on stuff unless taped down (they may have improved it - I don't use CGM regularly but gave a few medtronic ones a try a couple of years back). The Dexcom G4, in my admittedly limited experience, is much better. The transmitter itself clips neatly into the sensor housing and feels very secure. I've also so far found it to be reasonable accurate (as far as CGMs go - they all tend to drift a bit and need regular calibration but the good ones are very good at spotting trends quickly). I found the medtronic ones varied greatly from sensor to sensor - maybe depending on the implantation site - and a few were utterly useless. To date the dexcom have been much better but I have only recently started trialling them so am no expert.

leb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi i have the vibe too and wad lloking at cgm. Do u mInd me aski.g how much they cost for the sensors and transmiter. Or does the vibe only need the sensor as the vibe had the cgm built in. Sorry to ask what may be a dumb wuestion but my dsn sltjiugh very good at her job said it eadnt funded and in her opinion wasnt worth me paying for it. So im assuming they are very expensive .
Regards leb

Pneu

I have just started on the Vibe and am self funding the CGM..

The starter kit is £500 for the transmitter (which goes onto your skin like the pump inset) and 4 sensors.. the sensors last 7 days although most reports I have read indicate that some people get as much as 10 - 12 days from them... you will need to replace the transmitter once every six months at additional cost.. When I worked the costings out (which I annoyingly can't find!) the Dexcom came out cheaper than the medtronic CGM.

I think from memory it works out at around £45 / sensor if you buy in bulk (can someone please correct me if I am wrong!).. so around £3000 / year to fund full-time assuming two transmitters / year and a sensor a week.

leb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks so much for the info deffinitely going to lookin to self funding
regards Leb

Bucksgirl

I'm self-funding the Dexcom G4 as a stand alone system to compliment my Omnipod pump. The starter kit cost about £1100 which included the transmitter, receiver and two sensors. Replacement sensors are £62.50 each. Although guaranteed to last 7 days, so far I have got 2-4 weeks out of all of them, with the help of Mefix adhesive tape to keep the transmitter in place. The transmitter is guaranteed for 6 months and I believe costs about £250 to replace and the receiver costs maybe as much as £650 I think and is guaranteed for a year. Obviously I'm hoping they will last longer than that! Back-up from Advanced Therapeutics has been fairly good with 24 hour advice available by 'phone. So it is expensive but I haven't regretted going ahead with this for one moment.

paulioajordio

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish
I'm self-funding the Dexcom G4 as a stand alone system to compliment my Omnipod pump. The starter kit cost about £1100 which included the transmitter, receiver and two sensors. Replacement sensors are £62.50 each. Although guaranteed to last 7 days, so far I have got 2-4 weeks out of all of them, with the help of Mefix adhesive tape to keep the transmitter in place. The transmitter is guaranteed for 6 months and I believe costs about £250 to replace and the receiver costs maybe as much as £650 I think and is guaranteed for a year. Obviously I'm hoping they will last longer than that! Back-up from Advanced Therapeutics has been fairly good with 24 hour advice available by 'phone. So it is expensive but I haven't regretted going ahead with this for one moment.

Hi Bucksgirl, can you help - I am currently weighing up whether or not to get a sensor mainly down to cost. Where do you purchase your equipment from, I have had a quick look online for prices but can't seem to find anything.

Also how have you felt since you started using the sensor?

Your help will be appreciated! :)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Bucksgirl, can you help - I am currently weighing up whether or not to get a sensor mainly down to cost. Where do you purchase your equipment from, I have had a quick look online for prices but can't seem to find anything.

Also how have you felt since you started using the sensor?

Your help will be appreciated! :)
@paulioajordio left a reply in the pump forum for you :)

Reactions: 2 people

Secudus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sheese, that's one hell of a price tag, suppose it's not something you can have on prescription then?

I have a labour intensive job being a panel beater/sprayer with my own small bodyshop, I work around 80 - 90 hrs per week and have been a Type I since I was 2, am now 55...

I think I will stick with my Accu-Chek Mobile for the time being and wait for the BSM chip inserted just under the skin that transmits the CBSL to a LCD embedded into your finger nail, should be around in the next 5 years...