BYDUREON and insulin

minniemouse57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello all.
I am new here, but just wondering if anyone else is on Bydureon and insulin and what happened when you started the Bydureon? I just had my 2nd injection and even though it is supposed to take a few weeks for the full effect, I have suffered quite bad hypos almost every day. My insulin has reduced from 54 units of humalog mix 50, 3 times a day to 20 -10 - 20, and my bg has improved dramatically. I also take Metformin and various other medication for hypertension and cholesterol.

Other side effects experienced are slight nausea but bad indigestion. I am encouraged that my insulin is being reduced but it was quite frightening how quickly my blood glucose levels were dropping.
I would be grateful for your replies.
Thank you

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi i was on both since may just stopped now, it helped lower my hb1ac however not so much for everyday bgs. Actually had to increase my insulin so opposite to you. But the side effects don't last long after a few weeks on it they disappear.

minniemouse57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
Thank you for your reply. It is interesting to know your experience. We are all different so it will affect us differently I suppose. Glad to hear that side effects dont last too long

martinbuchan

Hi. Just started first injection bydureon yesterday. Sugars high so still taking byetatta . Looking at the pharmacokinetics, s steady state is not reached for 10 weeks. Certainly the blood concentration of bydureon is not much till after the first month. I Will still take byetta another week or 2 unless I get hypos or nausea. I never got sick with byetta and my A1c is good.

scorpio1646

Hi, I am taking 2 x 60 units of Novomix insulin daily together with 2 x metformin 500mg twice a day. I have been on Bydureon for the past 6 weeks. For the first 4 weeks the only side effects I had from Bydureon was a slight feeling of nausea for approx 48 hours after each weekly injection. I was pleased to see that my blood sugar levels had decreased from around 15 after my evening meal to around 9-10, so I lowered my insulin intake to 54 units twice a day. The last 2 weekly injections of Bydureon however have given me bad hypos. I take my insulin and metformin approx 15 minutes before my meal and I inject my weekly bydureon approx 30 mins after my meal. Within 2 hours of taking the bydureon my blood sugar levels have dropped to around 3! I have to quickly swallow several glucose tablets to bring my sugar levels up again.
I will reduce my insulin intake even further from tomorrow but it has taken me by surprise how quickly my sugar levels drop after taking insulin followed by Bydureon.
:shock:

worcsguy

I was on bydureon and humlin r insulin and although I did notice a small drop in blood sugars after the 4th week I ended up in a&e after suffering anaphylactic shock due to it

Madame_Duke

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bossy people.
Hi i was on both since may just stopped now, it helped lower my hb1ac however not so much for everyday bgs. Actually had to increase my insulin so opposite to you. But the side effects don't last long after a few weeks on it they disappear.

yes agree with previous post, side effects do disappear been on Bydureon for 8 months.