Whats better quinoa or brown rice?

peps1

just doing the weekly shop, and wonder what will likely have less effect on my BG, quinoa or brown rice?

Grazer

Quinoa is much better, only a third of the carbs of brown rice. I've got a packet in the cupboard, but never used it yet 'cos it looks like cous cous which I don't like. Be keen to hear how you get on! Go for the quinoa and report back! :D

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys!

I've tried quinoa in place of rice - I actually like it a lot! Grazer - it tastes nothing like cous cous - it's grains rather than pasta. I don't eat it anymore, because it spikes my BG significantly at 5hrs :crazy: I was eating it and thinking I was doing rather well at 2 hours and then one day I tested 5 hours later and found i was in double figures :shock: - never touched it since! However, I have LADA and that is rather temperamental and unpredictable on the old carb front, and i use insulin, so slow-release carbs are a bit tricky sometimes. I haven't tried it recently since I'm more experienced in matching insulin to different types of carb - I might give it another go at some time. Type 2s - give it a go but test every hour after the meal until you're sure your BG has stabilised - I think you'll tolerate it well, because it really is slow-release so your insulin production might cope and take you a bit higher for a longer period, but no real spike. Grazer - with the number of carbs you can tolerate, you'll probably find quinoa fine.

Smidge

KimsMum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rude and lying people, people who abuse others, specially kids and animals :banghead:

fish chips with mushy peas :) :)
I used to eat brown rice all my life but since diagnosed with diabetes I stopped eating rice at all. I am to scared that my bs goes up to much from rice

peps1

Will it was yummy!

Had a slightly iorny taste to it and work really well as a rice substitutes........unfortunately sent my BG up 3point :cry:

I don't get this BG thing, one day I eat cake and there is no spike, next day I eat a tiny bowl of wholegrain and BOOOM! double figures.

Reactions: SueO246

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
peps1 said:
I don't get this BG thing, one day I eat cake and there is no spike.

It maybe the spike has been and gone by the time you test at two hours (if that's what you're doing). I get very short lived but very high spikes with sugary things so try testing at say 45 mins or an hour and see what effect it has at that point.

FoodieGuru

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Quinoa is definitely MUCH more nutritious than brown rice. The grain is ancient and full of vitamins and antioxidents. I love mixing it with chicken and spicy salsa..or just about any dish. Have you tried making it yet?

Also I find lots of quinoa recipes on Pinterest and on this website: http://recipes-plus.co.uk/

Last edited by a moderator:

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Quinoa .. Simpley The best .. Good for protein if your a veggie and is not spiking my sugars :angelic:

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quinoa, couscous, rice of all kinds and bulghur(?) wheat, I love them all, but they spike me which is a flaming nuisance. So I deselect them now from my meals. (I used to love making tabbouleh with bulghur). I'm not going to give up on the meals that require these grains. Instead I'm trying to adapt cauliflower to Mind The Gap. I whizz it in a food processer until crumbly, show it a few seconds of steam, and then it's ready to role-model the others. It does very well as an alternative to rice. I haven't yet tried tabbouleh with nearly-raw cauliflower but am planning to try it soon. I'll report back.
I got a spiralizer for someone at Christmas and am thinking of getting one for us. I reckon it would offer further ways to avoid the beloved spiking grains.

PepperTed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Quinoa is much better, only a third of the carbs of brown rice. I've got a packet in the cupboard, but never used it yet 'cos it looks like cous cous which I don't like. Be keen to hear how you get on! Go for the quinoa and report back! :D

I don't like couscous either, but I do like quinoa. It's actually a seed so if you imagine eating cooked seeds, it's much more like that than nasty old couscous.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Quinoa is lovely .. The wife puts it in my vegetable stew also as part of a rozzotto type meal .. I think I have also seen it in my onion gravy .. It's very enjoyable .. And for a veggie a great edition to the food cupboard .. It's also found in supermarkets now .. Unlike a few years back when we had to hunt for health food stores !

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@KimsMum Unless you test you won't know

I find that 75g of cooked Brown Rice doesn't spike me
(about 1/3 cup of uncooked rice)

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After reading this thread I've added some to my online shopping list, I love a curry but am worried about eating rice :)