Injecting hurts

titchy_lou

I've only been on insulin a few weeks, and a lot of the time it, it hurts after I've injected. I've only injected in the stomach, but is there a trick to the angle that I do it? Is it actually normal for it to hurt?!

Diabetes type 1.5
Diagnosed September 2011
Currently on basal insulin

BobCornelius

Assumedly you are using a fresh, new needle for each injection? And rotating sites?

It can sometimes hurt a little, part of the reasoning being you pushed the needle in too hard, and maybe you allowed the needle to move whilst injecting?

:)

Bob

Samantha98

Hi. I was diagnosed only in January but I too, have to take shots. If you inject in the same area often it can get really painful, so try to rotate sites. Usually I inject in my legs if my stomach hurts to much. I would ask your endo for more info.[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] Hope it stops hurting!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

titchy_lou

Hi, I'm using 4mm needles, and rotate the sites and use a new needle every time, so I'm a bit stumped! Oh well, no pain, no...gain? :s

Diabetes type 1.5
Diagnosed September 2011

LaughingHyena

Is it hurting while you are injecting or for a while after.

I find it does sting a bit as I inject but stops quickly, if it's itchy or sore after injecting and lasting a while I was told to go back to my DSN as it could be a reaction to the insulin and a different type may suit better. I sometimes find it's itchy if I get the insulin on my skin too, so I shake off any drips before injecting.

Lantus has a habit of stinging as it's quite acidic when injected. I've found it much less painful after changing to levimir, although I now have to take it twice a day instead of once.

Embabe25

I use 6mm needles. Sometimes it's pain free other times it hurts a lot. Sometimes I bleed really bat too. I take quite high doses of insulin and if I inject too quickly it forms a lump. That hurts!

I use my stomach for humilin s and my legs for lantus! Apparently the don't mix well.

Type 1 for 3 years
Injecting 5 times a day

titchy_lou

Hi, I'm using 4mm needles, and rotate the sites and use a new needle every time, so I'm a bit stumped! Oh well, no pain, no...gain? :s

Diabetes type 1.5
Diagnosed September 2011

titchy_lou

LaughingHyena said:
Is it hurting while you are injecting or for a while after.

I find it does sting a bit as I inject but stops quickly, if it's itchy or sore after injecting and lasting a while I was told to go back to my DSN as it could be a reaction to the insulin and a different type may suit better. I sometimes find it's itchy if I get the insulin on my skin too, so I shake off any drips before injecting.

Lantus has a habit of stinging as it's quite acidic when injected. I've found it much less painful after changing to levimir, although I now have to take it twice a day instead of once.

When it hurts, it hurts for about half an hour. Last week it was really itchy as well. Is it worth telling my dsn about this, or should I grin and bare it?

Diabetes type 1.5
Diagnosed September 2011

Embabe25

When I used humilin I insulin I would inject into my legs and it would itch. After about 30 mins a large lump would appear that was hot to touch. I told my DN who said I wasn't doing it right! I was doing it fine! A year ago we changed it to lantus and I've never had a problem since!

Jennaellis01

Wot insulin is it that your using when this happens? As lantus is known to cause this it did with me after about 15 years I mentioned it nd got told it was the lantus so swapped it to levimer and no more pain...I'm type 1 and my quick acting insulin doesn't cause a prob

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
titchy_lou said:
When it hurts, it hurts for about half an hour. Last week it was really itchy as well. Is it worth telling my dsn about this, or should I grin and bare it?

It does look like an allergic reaction to the insulin you inject, have a word with the DSN and they may suggest an alternative to see if this resolves the problem.

glenmoray

It's injecting in one site that will cause painful injections. Try alternating round your body like I do. Left arm, Left leg, Left side of stomach, Left buttock, then start on right side. I've been on insulin since 1977 and never suffered from painful injection sites.

alisoningold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello,

Having been diabetic forever (or so it seems), I hope this insight helps.

I was once in hospital and a nurse said to me "it's not how you put it in, it's how you take it out" - I thought this was good advice!

The MAIN reson it hurts when I am injecting, is if I push it in too quickly (said the actress to the bishop).

I mean, once the actual needle is in, pushing the end of the syringe / pen in to actually administer the insulin. If you do this too quickly, it will hurt and you'll probably end up with lumps under skin too, which will itch!

I also found I had to try loads of different sites, they told me "do it where you have most fat", I tried doing it in the top of my legs and I got HUGE bruises, which then obviously hurt.

Hope you find the answer on here somewhere!

Mummywearne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I've been a diabetic since I was 10, I'm nearly 24 now. When I was stupid with my diabetes when I was 17/18, I now struggle to inject in my leg, arms and bum, it hurts to do it, my diabetic nurse gave me smaller needles, but it still hurts. So all my injections are going in my belly and now my belly is lumpy. Any ideas to make it easier to use my other parts to inject?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I've been injecting basal for 6 weeks now and normally have no pain whatsoever going into the belly; perhaps a small twinge 1 in 10 injections. I use 4mm needles. I use Levemir basal which is certainly supposed to have less risk of stinging than Lantus. I have no site problems either so may be you are a bit allergic to your basal and need to discuss options with your DSN?

titchy_lou

Lantus seems to make me itch, whilst novo-rapid hurts. I do a different spot every time, but it's not making it any easier. I have a bruise for every one that I've done on my leg...any tips for the exactly perfect spot on my legs?

Diabetes type 1.5
Diagnosed September 2011