Can anyone recommend a sweetener without bitter aftertaste

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Re: Can anyone recommend a sweetener without bitter aftertas

Xylitol - the only artificial sweetener that is actually good for you (supposedly). No aftertaste at all, looks like sugar and has the same sweetness by quantity, so you just put the same amount of xylitol in as you would have used sugar

Reactions: 2 people

josielou

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Tesco's own brand sweetener is good and doesn't have a nasty after taste. It is in the powder form, and tablet form. Two tablets in a cup of coffee with Rappor is heavenly!!

mark5745

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Sugar but just a 1/5 of a spoon in a coffee I've cut back to but I still need just that little bit of sugar as I can't find a good sweetener that I like

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mickey121

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

If I need to sweeten anything I use Truvia (terrible advert on tv) but it tastes ok . It comes from the leaf of a tree so not full of nasties.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

opacity

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Consumerism, waste, modern self-obsession with appearance, animal cruelty, pollution. Lies and liars.

I am also very sensitive to bitterness and have found xylotol and maltitol sweetened lollies taste just like the real thing. I didn't realise you can buy them on their own. I am still sneaking sugar in my tea, but I use a low GI brand ( GI 50, with molasses retained.)
It's been scientifically proven that some people are more sensitive to bitterness, and amongst my friends, I am the only one who is. It is apparently an evolutionary survival development, as most bitter fruits, leaves, etc are poisonous. So I console myself that I am more evolutionally evolved than my friends! (But I wish I wasn't....) I don't like coffee or beer, for example, and I take 3 spoons of sugar in my tea, or else it tastes bitter. Grapefruit? Yuk! But I like sour tastes - lemons, plain Greek yoghurt, etc.
I'm off to my local health food shop tomorrow to see if Xylotol powder is available here. Otherwise I'll have to try on the 'Net. I always learn something new on this forum. So glad I found it! Cheers everyone. Lee

Yes I hated all sweetners but found sweet n low the best by far and u can buy it online

Terryfholmes

Xylitol is famous and highly recommended for dental care. It is tooth friendly and obvious choice of any dentist. Then there's also sorbitol which is a natural sugar substitute found in fruits and vegetables.

mackermike

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I use Boots own brand, £2 for 1000, 1 tablet per cup of coffee and no aftertaste for me whatsoever :)

mikele

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Be careful with Xylitol if you have pets. It can be fatal if given to dogs, I believe it causes kidney failure.

Mikejsb

Hi Bluebell 13
You have probably had lots of answers by now. I have been using Splenda which I find great. It measures and sweetens spoon for spoon like sugar. There is no aspartamine (not sure of the spelling) in Splenda!

Good luck,
Mikejsb

Puzzletree

I recommend a 50/50 blend of Xylitol and Splenda. Xylitol alone tastes uniquely 'wet', nice and fresh, but 'wet'. Splenda alone in larger amounts gets too metalically sweet. The blend is almost perfect for taste in any amount, whether in coffee, cooking or on cereal.

derekemery

The only sweetener that I know that is not affected by cooking temperatures as for cakes is Sucralose. This is sold as Splenda but also just as sweetener granules by Asda and probably others which is cheaper. You need to check for the name of the actual sweetener used to be sure (in the small print). I suspect ordinary sweeteners will break down with heat leaving a bitter taste.
Fructose is used instead of sucrose for diabetic cakes so you could also investigate cake recipes using fructose. Fructose is not a sweetener but another sugar that does not increase blood sugar as much as sucrose

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.

Sucron, I buy it from Boots. It comes in powdered form, is four times the sweetness of sugar so you only need a small amount, and can be used in cooking, in drinks and can sprinkled on things you want to sweeten. Enjoy.

Super D

I use Truvia - made from stevia leaves. Third of a teaspoon equivalent to a teaspoon of sugar.

Mommayorkie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
being ruled by my conditions.if it isnt one playing up its another. stopping me leading at least some sort of life.

i use Splenda. tablets when out in cafes etc granulated when at home or for porridge,cooking etc.

lizmartin

I have found Splenda very good no bitter after taste and you can use it in cooking, I would not be without it. It is a bit pricey but you get 125grams for £3 15. Lovely in cakes just follow the advice given. Best of luck, Liz Martin

Bluebell13

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks everyone for all the different suggestions - Splenda does seem to be very popular. I have been using xylitol (brand name Total Sugar) which is quite good. Total Sugar is 2.70 for 225grms . They all seem to be quite expensive.

ianc2014

Hi, Bluebell13

I have been using Truvia, one of the Stevia plant extract sweeteners and in its granular form I find it has no nasty aftertaste, it can taste a little like caramel, which is no bad thing in my mind. I prefer it as it is not chemically tasting like some.

Never tried it in cakes yet. About a third of a teaspoon is equal to one teaspoon of sugar.

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi I have found stevia to be good, when I was in Denmark recently I noticed they were making sweets using stevia, I purchased some licorice and it was really enjoyable, with no stomach side effects :D