Can anyone recommend a sweetener without bitter aftertaste

lollyann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Can anyone recommend a good sweetener that does not have that awful aftertaste - would like to try some cakes etc but sweeteners I have tried in the past have always left an aftertaste.

Also is there a good diabetic cookbook for cakes that I can buy from anywhere that anyone could recommend? Many thanks - missing the odd treat of a cake and hubby is too.

Hi I use Splenda tablets but have to use a lot of them to gain any sweet taste

K

Kat100

Re: Can anyone recommend a sweetener without bitter aftertas

Thanks everyone for all the different suggestions - Splenda does seem to be very popular. I have been using xylitol (brand name Total Sugar) which is quite good. Total Sugar is 2.70 for 225grms . They all seem to be quite expensive.
It makes a good cake I find ...I use it for a normal sponge cake with sugar free jam ...sometimes on a Sunday ....
Not all for me lol
I use 3 ounces of organic flour ...and 3 ounces of coconut flour ....it works ....well for me it does....this baking is a challenge I find ....

Sometimes on occasion I have used half amount of total,sweet ( xylitiol) made from the sap of the silver birch and mixed it with half the amount of stevia 50% .....again that combination for a sponge cake has worked ....

There is the syrup called total sweet or sweet freedom ....which will also work as a sugar in cakes ...depending if you take apples and it suits your diet for a nice treat .....x it can be used for baking , a syrup and a chocolate one for hot choc ...but it is individual ...

I am a xylitiol fan

fellcolinj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Boring people
Hi

Can anyone recommend a good sweetener that does not have that awful aftertaste - would like to try some cakes etc but sweeteners I have tried in the past have always left an aftertaste.

Also is there a good diabetic cookbook for cakes that I can buy from anywhere that anyone could recommend? Many thanks - missing the odd treat of a cake and hubby is too.

I find Sucralose is excellent, it is not metabolised by the body, can be cooked with and leaves no aftertaste. You can buy it in Asda own brand for £1

Derek1966

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I use sweetex, it doesn't seem to have any effect on my blood sugar and no aftertaste. I tend to drink a lot of tea and have2 in each cup so sometimes I have 30 sweeteners in a day. I also use canderel os silver spoon "bulked" sweeteners on cereals, again no effect

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a fan of stevia as to me, it's sweet and from a natural source. It's not great for baking though and I'm in the process of experimenting. Recently I made brownies that by my calculation are around 6g carb per brownie. Recipe:
200g 85/90% dark choc- (I use Lindt as has low carb content- lower than 'no added sugar' varieties strangely enough and a good hit of chocolate.)
200g appricots
3 tspnspoons stevia
1/2 tsp of both baking powder and bicarbonate
100g roasted coarsly choppedhazelnuts
3 eggs, beaten
Put choc and raising agents/ stevia in a processor and blend to a grainy powder;
Add apricots and eggs (and vanilla if you have) and blend to cakey mixture; stir in hazelnuts and pour into a square 9/10'' sandwich tin. Bake at 180 for 20 mins. Does 16 squares. Pure chocolate, sticky heaven :)) just have to train self to have 1 at a time. I'm still working on this..

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Stevia was the only "natural" sweetener I could find, and I originally tried a small pot of it in powdered form but found it a bit difficult to dispense, and it took a while to get used to the after taste. I now use it in liquid form and have a little dropper bottle, and I can't detect any after taste with this unless I really use a huge amount of it. I do most of my baking in the microwave and I don't need much to give things a sweet enough for me taste. It's also OK in my coffee, cocoa, and used to sweeten a cream/cream cheese "frosting". I find that I don't really need a lot of sweetened stuff any more, and some things, like honey roast ham, taste too sickly sweet for me now.

Robbity

PS WHen I started reading this thread I thought I was going to be the only one who used stevia!

Reactions: 2 people

tonal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Hi

I have used Splenda in both coffee ,on cerials and in baking and found it the best for my taste, Stevia if awful but I have never tried Xytinol - where do you buy it?

Angelmum21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I am trying rice malt syrup as recommended by Sarah Wilson in her book "I quit sugar ". I find that as she said it does not raise my sugar levels and it has a pleasant but not overly sweet taste. Considering the research that is showing that artificial sweeteners are bad for diabetics - rice malt syrup is a natural alternative - but of course you have to use small amounts of anything like this and not just simply use it to prop up your old unhealthy diet!

xx

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I am trying rice malt syrup as recommended by Sarah Wilson in her book "I quit sugar ". I find that as she said it does not raise my sugar levels and it has a pleasant but not overly sweet taste. Considering the research that is showing that artificial sweeteners are bad for diabetics - rice malt syrup is a natural alternative - but of course you have to use small amounts of anything like this and not just simply use it to prop up your old unhealthy diet!

xx

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the tip angelmum21.
Are you a type1/2? I also have that book and was considering getting rice malt syrup- just haven't done so yet as didn't want to invest to discover it has an unwelcome effect on my bs's. Hope you don't mind me asking what kind of impact it has on ur bs's?
On another note, her choc 'mud' made with avocado and cocoa is divine- you tried it? X

cissey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Total

rikitz

Hi

Hi there

Ive been diabetic for years with varying degree of control. If you have a sweet tooth then i would strongly recommend you try replacing normal table sugar with Xylitol. its the only sweeteners i know of that actually tastes as sweet as sugar but without the disgusting and bitter aftertaste. You will find it on amazxon and in soime health food shops/ I started using 3months ago and my hba1c has dropped by 6%. Good luck

Reactions: 2 people

mikej3252

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Has anyone tried Asda own brand sweetener (tablets)? At £1.00 for 300. I find them to be as good as any of the branded ones. If you prefer a powdered sweetener, try the one from Aldi. Again it is as good as any of the brands, without the cost, it is less than £1.

Angelmum21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you a type1/2? I also have that book and was considering getting rice malt syrup- just haven't done so yet as didn't want to invest to discover it has an unwelcome effect on my bs's. Hope you don't mind me asking what kind of impact it has on ur bs's?
On another note, her choc 'mud' made with avocado and cocoa is divine- you tried it? X
Hi,
Yes I am Type 2 diabetic. I was diagnosed in October last with a reading of 32 on my GP's meter and then subsequently told I have hypothyroidism which may have led to the diabetes in the first place. So I had a long way to go to get sorted. I virtually gave up every carb at first and took high dose of metformin ( 2000mg per day) but at 3 months my HbA1C was 5.9 and at 6 months it was 5.6. I have been a very good girl however to stop me giving in to the inevitable occasional craving for cake etc I wanted to find how to make them without flour and without sugar ( I also have been working on the premise that gluten is not good for either condition). Sarah's book shows how you can use almond meal and vegetables instead and I have made her brownies with peanut butter and have used rice malt syrup in that and the two hour test after my meal was 5.5 so as far as I can see it did what she said and did not cause a spike in sugar. I also used the syrup to make coconut ice with real fruit and nut butter and desiccated coconut and again I indulged in a few pieces and it made no difference to my readings. I love her paleo bread as well and freeze it so I can use it all up. I have not tried her choc mud yet but take your word that it is divine. I honestly can say that the syrup does not have any bitter after taste. I hope you get same results when you try it but do test to see what is happening with your system as we are all individuals and what is right for some may not be right for others. X

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya I use Sweeter tablets in hot drinks.I find 1 tablet is the same as a spoon of sugar. I use fruitose (fruit sugar) in baking, you only need about a third to half of what the recipe says. :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I'm fortunate in never having had a sweet tooth but .... I have always had sugar in tea and coffee.
I now have that half sugar stuff in my coffee ... 1/4 teaspoon as opposed to my past two teaspoons of normal sugar.
As for tea going the opposite direction and having it with no milk and a dash of lemon is great.

tonal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I'm in Oz but we have Splenda which I have been using for cakes and puddings for years - they also have pills for your coffee. You use the same amount as for sugar in your recipes. Cup for a cup etc.

Angelmum21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I am a Type 2 that got diabetes through not knowing I have a severely underactive thyroid. My sugars were 32 when diagnosed 2 years ago and they are now 5.9 on 6 month check ups. Sarah as you will know has a thyroid condition and recommends the low carb diet for that too. I use the malt syrup in baking and no I have not tried the choc mud yet. I have used it where she recommends and at the minimum levels etc. I did it because I had gone cold turkey on so much and knew that I needed occasionally something I could fall back on when I feel low and it works and does not give me problems. I am on 1 metformin a day at the moment too - hope this helps! xx