metformin. can't do it anymore

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
:thumbdown: :cry: :cry: . I just cant handle taking metformin any more . It makes me feel ill . I dread taking it . It also has the awful side affect of Diarrhea I just cant bring myself to take it any more. I would have loved to have been able to post this anonymously as its very embarrassing but here goes . I have severaly times lets call them accidents all be it on a relatively small scale. And the added danger of metformins windy ways adds somewhat of a Russian roulette eliment to the day . However last nigh I went out to a reesteraun and had a very nice meal every thing fine but when I arrived home with family in car as I exited the carbthe unthinkable happened and not on the small scale of previous disasters. I had to run into the house and into the bathroom not because i still needed to go but because i didnt want anyone to see me like that . What if it had happened when riseing from my meal at the restaurant. Or even at work (I dont think I could go back in). I have now not taken metformin since yesterday and I dont think I can face taking it again EVER!!. I am going to try and talk to either the nurse or dr today and either get put on somthing elses or just stop taking it all together. I think I would rather run higher than take it. I realise that this is a disgusting subject unfortunately it is something that is making my life a misery. And guidence would be appreciated. Sorry for any upsetncaused by reading this thread.

Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Nobody should have to live with side effects like that. There is a SR version which us supposed to be a little kinder on the stomach which you could try ( if not already ?). Anyway, a trip back to your doc is certainly in order to sort this out. Good luck !
Mo

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

type2newbie

Metformin had the opposite effect on me and I was in agony. My GP changed me to Gliclazide and so far so good. Good luck

Sent from my GT-N8010 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
not embarrassing mate, you just need something else, not your fault at all, keep your chin up!

connie104

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is exactly what happened to me I had so many embarrassing moments whilst on metformin that I was frightened to leave the house. Eventually I got the doctor to changer onto Galvus which is vildagliptin and I felt I got my life back

hotblack desiato

Type of diabetes
Type 2
nothing to be embarrassed about mate , I had mild symptoms very similar to this with metformin , fortunately it was in the evening at home , none now ,there must be other meds out there , don't take no for an answer from the doc , best of luck , HBD

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Metformin SR is supposed to be better.

Artificial sweeteners can make it worse, as can too many fats in your foods.

Maybe discussing your diet with a dietician would help, as well as reviewing your medication.

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had exactly the same problems with Metformin and my doctor kept asking me to keep taking it as it would improve as my body accepted the drug. It didn't and so after advice from others on this site, i got him to change it to Glucophage which is the slow release version of Metformin. Am on maximum dosage twice daily. Within 24 hours my symptoms had subsided and I have had no problems since but I always make sure I take it with food.

If you haven't tried it yet do ask your GP before you give up on this drug completely.

Victor Owo

Dislikes
Dirty people
Metformin may not be good for you. Just meet your doctor so they can change drugs for you. I take metformin and glibenclamide.

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
I have spoke to my dn on the phone this morning and should have a prescription for metformin s/r or m/r to collect after work I hope this does the trick. She did say though that if it didnt they will look for somthing else. I do have a slight advantage in haveing my cousin who lives in the same house that is a pharmacist.

pr126

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Same here, but without the diarrhea, it makes me very unwell, and causing stomach pains.
I am seeing the DN at midday today, and will ask to change the medication.
It is hell every time I take the **** thing.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I had Metformin without problems for about 10 years and then developed Irritable bowel. I sympathise with you. I changed to the SR version and the IB reduced from the first day. Do ask your HCP if you can try it.
you've nothig to lose!
Hana

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Hope you get on better with the slow release medication - I see a lot of people saying that it's reduced their 'gastrointestinal interruptions'. Let us know how it goes; this thread will definitely be helpful to the many others that are having the same problem!

Shzz46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who try to tell me what to do
I have only been on metformin for 5 weeks in all that time have had really bad stomach pains really bad wind I spoke to my dn but she refused point blank to change me to the sr ones it's my sons wedding in two weeks time and I'm dreading how my stomachs going to be like I was wondering would it be ok to miss taking it for a couple of days before

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Thank you all for your encouragement I must admit to being slightly/very apprehensive about broaching the subject.

Shzz46 .I didnt realy give them any other choice and categorically stated that I would NOT be taking the tablets again. And that it was NOT acceptable to be sh##### myself wether in public or private. She quite understood. I would point out to your dn the you have basic human rights and she has a responsibility to duty of care part of wich is is to protect you dignity and if they disagree they can have the opportunity to discuss it with your lawer at a tribunal

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
No medic can make you take tablets. I would book an appointment with your Doctor and tell them in no uncertain terms but firmly and politely that Metformin is causing you massive social embarrassment and that you refuse to take them. Ask them for the alternative options and if they won't help, sack them and go to another GP. Metformin is dirt cheap, Metformin SR is more expensive but tough! I have IBS, normal Metformin is a catastrophe for me!

Ali

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i wonder why they dont automatically prescribe the sr version rather than the normal? cost probly :( but with all these problems with it, it seems a bit daft and i read somewhere that metformin is cheap anyway

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
Normal metformin is a lot cheaper than the SR apparently.

I never had problems with it myself but you have my sympathy.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find that Metformin and wheat are not good friends, so gave up the wheat. I also found that the more carbs you eat with it, the worse I got wind.

Nobody told me that one of the side effects of Met was the runs, on the first day of taking it, went shopping, spent the whole time going from loo to loo, decided to give up the shopping and went home.

I'm now on the SR version, it is great to only take it once a day and not to have to eat three times a day just because I had to take a tablet.

The SR does cost more, so if you can stand the bog standard version, then that's what you get until you complain.

There is research going on into Metformin and stomach problems http://www.exeter.crf.nihr.ac.uk/sites/ ... on%202.pdf