BEER OR WINE

hanley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
grapefruit ughhhhhhhh
Hi my hubby is t2 and is managing his through diet and exercise however he enjoys his beer and i allow it once a week as his treat for his diet and training ....... my question is this what is better 4 cans of tennants or a bottle of white wine ? thanks a million

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Hi my hubby is t2 and is managing his through diet and exercise however he enjoys his beer and i allow it once a week as his treat for his diet and training ....... my question is this what is better 4 cans of tennants or a bottle of white wine ? thanks a million
Depends on the wine TBH but probably the wine if dryish.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
From personal experience I would say dry white wine is better too-which is a shame as before diagnosis I was mad on real ales-especially Robinsons Old Tom and Adnams Broadside. {sob}

littlelin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness; Ageism;Rain&Cold.
Hi anyone out there... advice please re alcohol. Cant have beer cos am coeliac and am rather particle to a nice good red Rioja.
Now is this a bad alcohol to drink or would I be better off with white or pink ? Any info on shorts as well?
Am managing to keep bloods quite level and dont see too sharp rises except when I treat myself to a glutenfree
cake - whoops:(
Thanks

Little Lin
T2 one year - coping just!

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Well spirits are carb free, its just the mixers that come wit the carbs.
Red wine,I find, as long as it isn't sweet or fortified like port doesn't spike me, in fact, I need to watch that I don't dip too far if I have too much!
THE ALCOHOL IS DEALT WITH AT THE LIVER IN PREFERENCE TO CREATING GLUCOSE!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well spirits are carb free, its just the mixers that come wit the carbs.
Red wine,I find, as long as it isn't sweet or fortified like port doesn't spike me, in fact, I need to watch that I don't dip too far if I have too much!
THE ALCOHOL IS DEALT WITH AT THE LIVER IN PREFERENCE TO CREATING GLUCOSE!

May not be completely true.

http://www.newscientist.com/article...dry-january-really-worth-it.html#.UtGwYq1FDMw

So it may be a myth alcohol doesn't affect your bs.

I have to say, I drank over Xmas, my bs went up overall.
Stopped again after new year, it's back down.

LCHFNA maybe?

alanywiseman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dry wines will be better than beer. Whites are usually drier than reds but it is all about balance. I am T1 and drink beer regularly and am able to control my BS. you just need to watch your how much and how fast you are drinking.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi anyone out there... advice please re alcohol. Cant have beer cos am coeliac and am rather particle to a nice good red Rioja.
Now is this a bad alcohol to drink or would I be better off with white or pink ? Any info on shorts as well?
Am managing to keep bloods quite level and dont see too sharp rises except when I treat myself to a glutenfree
cake - whoops:(
Thanks

Little Lin
T2 one year - coping just!

I have a glass of Rioja with my supper 'on the advice of my cardiologist'... he wouldn't give me a prescription for it :(
Anyway, it doesn't affect my levels

Reactions: 4 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
MY Grandfather had the same advice from his GP : to have a whisky before retiring, Still wouldn't write a prescription.
Nearly died from rheumatic fever as a young man but worked into his 70's and died in his late 80's

robert0511

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
Diet only

hanley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
grapefruit ughhhhhhhh
Dry wines will be better than beer. Whites are usually drier than reds but it is all about balance. I am T1 and drink beer regularly and am able to control my BS. you just need to watch your how much and how fast you are drinking.
Thanks for your post ...... I am really trying to stay positive for my husband and give him encouragement without being his minder ..he has to fend for himself but these post have really helped so thanks for your time and post

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It depends. For me, not beers, no, sadly. Wine yes, particularly red wine. I don't do much neat spirits so cant advice you there.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Agree with Toto, beers, no, they comtain too many carbs, red wine, definitely almost no carbs so no spike and it also does suppress release of glucose by the liver, although the mechanism that causes this is not necessarily a good one in that the lover prioritises the processing of alcohol which it regards as a poison over the processing of glucose.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

alanywiseman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find myself injecting 20-40g for beers depending on the style, ABV and how dry they are. The issue I find with beer is that the next day or during the night is when my BS can drop and that is what I need to watch. I dont drink enough wine to know the effect it has on my BS but it is something I should probably look into.