Silly mistake pumping?

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok I changed my entire set yesterday while very tired. Every thing with my actual pump and new site is fine however i forgot to take my old set out. I'm talking about the actual part connected to me. I basically left the cathitor in unclovered for about 14 hours. When I took it out this morning i was a bit shocked to see a dark blood coloured splodge under the skin where it had been. It doesnt hurt but I am concerened (upload a pic shortly) any advice? should I go to the dr?

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I've only left a cannula in over the 3 days twice - once by mistake as I'd counted wrong and once on purpose to see how it would fair. Neither caused any difference to the cannula insertion point so I if it were me, I would clean it tonight a few times and see how it is in the morning. Obviously if you start feeling ill with a high temp. or something then it straight to A&E.

iHs

When you leave an old set in for a long time while you use another one, what happens is that instead of insulin being pushed downwards into the cannula and keeping it clear (like flushing),with the tube attached to it with the pump, blood tries to come up the cannula instead. So unless it all looks very nasty, then there's probably nothing to worry about and it should start to clear up and vanish.........

Just remember and dont do what I did one day.... put a new set in not far from the old one. Had a shower and disconnected the tube from the new set and after shower couldnt remember what set was new and what was old. Connected up to the old set by mistake and had high bg levels lol. Learned a lesson and remembered to mark old set with a biro pen on adhesive so that no mistake was made next time.......

Dustydazzler

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sore feet, spiders, feeling hungry, night time hypos
Hi Engineer88

Just a quick message to say I'm sure you will be fine. I don't think you would need to go to the doctors and you should give it a couple of days to heal. Obviously if it doesn't heal, looks infected or is painful then you could consider making an appointment but at this stage I just wanted to reassure you that I'm sure nothing harmful has happened and it will be ok.

Reactions: 4 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks guys, I just got a bit worried when it hadn't gone down at all by now (I expected something a bit better by tonight!) will follow advice given. Thanks again x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
As new to pumping I disconnect,when due for a change and I remove my old set, set my pump up and get to the fill stage, then shower and put the new set in. Maybe it's because I'm new to this. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I tend to be more flexible around changes but recently had some issues with alarms because the pump is unpriming itself. I knew I had to change but just wasn't concentrating on the old stuff. I've only been doing this 2 months myself (19/11/13) factor in losing my CGM and I'm really annoyed at it all this week.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
How's it looking today? Hope it's clearing up a bit.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tend to be more flexible around changes but recently had some issues with alarms because the pump is unpriming itself. I knew I had to change but just wasn't concentrating on the old stuff. I've only been doing this 2 months myself (19/11/13) factor in losing my CGM and I'm really annoyed at it all this week.

What happened to the CGM?

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I
What happened to the CGM?

I lost my transmitter. Dont know how because it wasnt 'on' me at the time (ive been having a skin reaction to the tape and it was my birthday) so its grown legs. Very annoying and angry at myself as £350 down the drain. Ordered a new one yesterday. Heads up on that if you get one they are so small its very possible.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's frustrating! Lesson learned now I suppose though

Reactions: 2 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1390386800.452310.jpg

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ouch, looks quite sore. I find tea tree oil really good at clearing swollen angry bumps, it does sting though, also can use the antiseptic cream on it. don't put a plaster on as it needs air to heal, just make sure it's kept clean, if it still looks like that and not getting any better, you might need some antibiotics. Also are you reacting to all the sticky bits CGM and pump sets? If so i think it is possible to get ones for sensitive skin, I've never tried any though. I had that reaction for the first 4 or 5 months but now I guess my skin is used to it, It did look a little red and itchy where the sticky was when I took my CGM off a few days ago. I suppose it was because it was attached for over three weeks and skin doesn't like that.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
Ouch, that looks very sore. I wore a cgm supplied by Kings for a week, by the Sunday/Monday, it was driving me mad as it was so itchy, at one point my husband tried to replace the tape, they covered it with, but gave up when he thought he might pull the whole lot out. So he cut some of the tape of and put more on. Then the night before my return to Kings he got the rest of the tape of. But after the cgm removal the site was quite red. I've been told by my DSN, to try Aloe gel, if a site is red and itchy. It might help in your case, not sure though. Hope it gets better quickly. :D

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks guys. Suprisingly it doesnt hurt much at all. Looking much less angry today, using some antibiotic cream (mum is a nurse) only 2-3 applications seems to do it. I have a worse reaction on this side it seems to both CGM and pump. Strange but true. I actually had to pull the sticky off on this so that is what irritated my skin most I think it was seriously stuck.

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
best way to take the sticky off I've found is always in the shower, I'm quite hairy on my tummy and legs and arms, so it saves on the extra pain of waxing!!