Anybody else using the Abbott FreeStyle InsuLinx?

laurenjaner

BabyFoXi_666 said:
Hi .. I use The Abbott Free Style Insulinex and have been adviced to calibrate My machine But how or where do I get the little testing bottles from as They did Not come with the box .. Can Someone please help Me .. Thank You ?? .. X ..
i get my strips from the chemist as i just phoned up the doctors and asked them if they could put them on the prescription for me but tell them the name of the strips first lol x :D :eek:

candiloo

My diabetic nurse is about as much use as a chocolate teapot - whatever I ask her about she will give me such a vapid answer that I get no help. Her answer to the meter was, 'well what if you change you mind about how many carbs you are having? You can't change it' so she wouldn't set it up, didn't know how to set it up any way and I phoned Abbott and we did it together as I am a bit thick. I love that you only need a tiny bit of blood on the strips, but I really struggle with getting the strips out of the little container. I have to say, Abbott have been really helpful and they phone and ask you stuff too.

candiloo

Just one other thing about the Insulix - do the carb counting course first to get the most out of it, otherwise it is just a posh meter. The course teaches you how to calculate what you need, according to your long acting insulin amount and it all sort of falls into place.

Wullie

The plus point about this meter is that it only requires a minimal amount of blood.

Now going to give the insulin calculator a try - thanks to the poster who posted the code.

True Bassist

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just got this meter and really liking it.

I called up Abbott today to request some Control Solution and they were very helpful and genuinely interested about me over the phone.

Hoping that this will be a helpful tool in controlling sugar levels!

Wullie

A bit more from me - this is the best meter I've ever had.

Yes, there's no backlight and the carb calculator starts at 15 :roll: but it's been invaluable. Wish I could have two - one for home, one for work.

Helena26

Just got the freestyle insulin X meter and I can't read the screen....it is too dark and the back light does not come on.....suggestions as to brightening the screen ?

Helena26

Wullie said:

Yes, there's no backlight and the carb calculator starts at 15 :roll: but it's been invaluable. Wish I could have two - one for home, one for work.
I ordered 2 and got them free with no problem.

Wullie

Helena26 said:
Wullie said:

I ordered 2 and got them free with no problem.

Hmm, will try ordering another. Here's hoping!

BTW, as True Bassist said, hold down the wee button and the backlight will come on. :)

Yong-Dae Choi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone know if there are settings for the Carb input on the advanced settings? It has up and down arrows but goes up so slow…

Yong-Dae Choi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I have entered my ratio in the advanced settings. However during daily use, when I enter the carb it initially starts at 15g with an up & down arrow. In the evenings my carbs are around 160-180g, it's annoying to hold the up button for so long. Is there any way to make it go up quicker?

saraenfield

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you turn it on let go of the button and then hold the button down a light turns on! Also anything under 20grams of carbs you shouldnt have to do insulin for if you 24 hour insulin is correct!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

borderter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Yes I have entered my ratio in the advanced settings. However during daily use, when I enter the carb it initially starts at 15g with an up & down arrow. In the evenings my carbs are around 160-180g, it's annoying to hold the up button for so long. Is there any way to make it go up quicker?
I too hate the slow carb counter of the insulinx. The roche meter works far quicker going up in increments of 10 gms then slowing down for the odd bits only problem with it is the large drop of blood needed