How to know food' kcal in order to lost weight please!

Daniel Mok

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was suggested to lost weight by watching how many food I have dairy.

But I search on internet, it is only very general guidance.

If I have one white bread and one cup of milk, then how much kcal I have?

On the label, it only said what is on one bottle of milk and whole pack of bread.

Will someone can mercy suggest and help?

Thanks

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The book Calorie Carb & Fat Bible 2014 is a good place to start looking for the nutritional information of everyday foods, in order to find out the cals in your portion of food you need to weigh or measure it.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reduce calories work for some, but I found it very hard work.

There are different kinds of calories. Generally, a calorie from a carbohydrate will not help you loose any weight. There are very complex processes involved in hunger/satiation and metabolism. To loose weight many of us have found that reducing carbs is way forward as it is also helps to keep blood glucose down.

It seems to easier to loose weight if you avoid low-fat products.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/20...-full-fat-paradox-whole-milk-may-keep-us-lean

Reactions: 2 people

Daniel Mok

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The book Calorie Carb & Fat Bible 2014 is a good place to start looking for the nutritional information of everyday foods, in order to find out the cals in your portion of food you need to weigh or measure it.

So, I have work out how many food and drink I am going to have and then I know ho many kcal I have eaten. So it seem like DAFNE. Will anyone can show me your further help?

Do there have free app or program or web site can help to do convert from type of food in kg and changed into kcal please?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So, I have work out how many food and drink I am going to have and then I know ho many kcal I have eaten. So it seem like DAFNE. Will anyone can show me your further help?

Do there have free app or program or web site can help to do convert from type of food in kg and changed into kcal please?

There probably is Apps available. You can just do it yourself, say the food that you eat has 343 kcal per 100g weight and your portion size weighs 60g, all you do is divide 343 by 100 then multiply the result by your portion size weight (60g), for example:

343 / 100 x 60 = 205.8

So the Kcal in your portion of food is 205.8

You use the same calculation if your working out the carbs.

Daniel Mok

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
There probably is Apps available. You can just do it yourself, say the food that you eat has 343 kcal per 100g weight and your portion size weighs 60g, all you do is divide 343 by 100 then multiply the result by your portion size weight (60g), for example:

343 / 100 x 60 = 205.8

So the Kcal in your portion of food is 205.8

You use the same calculation if your working out the carbs.

The kcal listed is one portion contains xx kcal. The contains are combine with many other items, so when I eaten part of items on that portions, I really do not know how many kcal I have.

I have to have more practice.

Thank you.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Daniel, if you get the book I suggested earlier it will give you all the nutritional information you need, there's also a book called Carbs & Cals which has photos of food items weighed out in different size portions, all have the nutritional info listed.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The kcal listed is one portion contains xx kcal. The contains are combine with many other items, so when I eaten part of items on that portions, I really do not know how many kcal I have.

I have to have more practice.

Thank you.

Practice is the key.
I count calories, (I've lost 4 stone) and it becomes second nature to look at a meal and know how many calories are on the plate.
Until then, google "pasta calories", or "carrot calories", it 'll help you.
Stick at it, It'll work well.

Daniel Mok

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Daniel, if you get the book I suggested earlier it will give you all the nutritional information you need, there's also a book called Carbs & Cals which has photos of food items weighed out in different size portions, all have the nutritional info listed.

Thank you! Will that book expensive?

Daniel Mok

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Practice is the key.
I count calories, (I've lost 4 stone) and it becomes second nature to look at a meal and know how many calories are on the plate.
Until then, google "pasta calories", or "carrot calories", it 'll help you.
Stick at it, It'll work well.

It talk about CUP and carrot but not sure I get the method yet. I will try my best to learn it.

Thanks

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you!

Very handy! Do I have to create a lot of my eating items? Some of item I can not find.

Anyway, it is a great starting points.

What I want is to reduce 5kg within 6 months.

I have not had to add much. It has a very extensive database.
A couple of tips, if you have a smartphone then get the free app. I have the iPhone version and love the fact that you can enter staff by scanning barcodes. With some items you can select appropriate units by selecting from drop down list e.g 100g, one cup, one small - makes it a lot easier to enter. I do not carry kitchen scales with me so I often have to visually estimate portion size.
Losing 5kg over six months is very doable. I think 0,5 to 1 kg per week is a more common target.
You will find that the weight will come off a lot easier by increasing your level of physical activity as well as diet. It does not have to be something very strenuous. I find that walking helps me a lot and it helps with keeping the blood sugar levels down as well.
All the best

Pavlos

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was counting calories Daniel, but now I just count carbs which I find much better, as it was too many carbs which kept me overweight. Wish I had known this years ago!!