First time away from home with type 1

kms1985

Hi
I'm off to a concert on Tuesday which is the first time since diagnosis that I've been far from home. I'm eating tea when I get there but I'm worried about low sugar when I'm in the concert. Any advice?
Also do I need to take anything to prove I'm diabetic cos I'll have my insulin with me and obviously I'll have a needle.

Thanks in advance

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just make sure you test your BG before you go and make sure you have hypo treatment to hand and are aware of symptoms. Also be aware of how alcohol can affect BS levels if you are drinking (sorry don't know how old you are) If you are going with other people make sure they know what symptoms to look out for and how to treat them.
Generally I don't bother with ID as most people are Ok when you tell them you're diabetic and it's insulin. I never volunteer the information in the first place though but only if I get asked. However if you have a card or a GP letter or something then you may as well take it. There's always a Health and Safety Nazi lurking somewhere.
But most of all just remember to have a great time and don't allow your diabetes to stop you enjoying yourself.

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good hypo treatments to take would be lucozade or dextrose tablets. You could also take a lucozade drink but they may not allow you to bring this in with you.

I would suggest testing prior to the concert, in the middle of and towards the end if you are doing a lot of dancing / moving around or if you are drinking. Even if you drink soft drinks it may be a good idea to check your sugar levels as I know some people on here have been served full sugar stuff when they've asked for diet.

I would carry ID if you have some incase you get separated from your friends. That way if something was to happen, for example you pass out, people around you will be able to find out what the problem is quickly. Also it might be helpful if someone does challenge you for having needles - you can show them evidence as to why you are carrying them.
If your bag/you are searched I would tell them prior to the search that you are diabetic and your bag / on you there are needles. I always do this so that no one can say I didn't tell them in the case of them injuring themselves.

I personally have never had a problem with entering a concert / club with needles but being prepared will ensure you don't worry and enjoy the night.

Have fun!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oooo have fun…I've never been asked for any proof that I was diabetic, even at airports….even at the olympic games when there was something in my bag setting the alarm off which made me get all my diabetic kit out and say "is it this?"- so I wouldn't worry about it. Then same advice as Auckland Canary - take sugar and maybe a longer lasting snack as well as you blood sugar kit and insulin, make sure your friends know what to do incase of emergency - like give you sugar and call an ambulance (very unlikely but best to cover all bases) and then just have loads of fun :)

Do you have an ID bracelet yet? I have one those just incase I pass out and no one else was near - might be worth considering if you don't.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Can't add much more than what's been said already, with your tea-time insulin I'd give a slightly reduced dose of insulin so that you don't go hypo later, often the heat, excitement and dancing can all lower bg levels, when you come out later you can always give a corrective dose if your bg is high.

Enjoy the concert!!!!

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
KMS your insulin passport should be fine, I went to the para Olympics and was asked to take a sip of Lucozade and this time last year I was at The Brit awards and never got asked for anything. Take lucozade and glucose tabs with you and you should be fine. As noble head said drop your tea time insulin a bit. As being a little bit high can be better as no doubt you will be dancing at some point. But last and most importantly have fun!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
If you are rally worried lower your dose a little, eat a few more carbs before the concert. I play sport and due to the sport I play (skydiving) all my doctors want me to be nice and high whilst playing. Being a little high every so often is not going to harm you, trust me you will go high by accident frequently. If you are going to be actively jumping around or dancing take a high sugar chocolate bar with you and have it half way through.
I have a simple philosophy I control my diabetes, it doesn't control me. I have been diabetic for over 10years, I have given up on the text book behaviours, I don't use syringes when I'm out, just an insulin pen, if you have a pen, don't worry about being stopped. If you do get a security jerk ask for their manager and their name, they won't be a security jerk for much longer alas they will still be a jerk.
There is some good news once you get used to this diabetic thing you will work out what you can get away with.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
Good advice Chowie, every once in a while won't hurt, it's if you do repeatedly, then it will . I've done it at points, like the Brits, travelling from the South East up, to the O2 and back , my dad paid for me and mum to have a meal out and a drink. But tested ok took a rucksack loaded with what I thought I would need, but I just have to whistle and it packs itself, got a few more years on being diabetic and things have changed. I remember having to take sugar free drinks to a pub, so my parents could go out with a friend.

judy.suirane

KMS your insulin passport will be fine, I went to the para Olympics and was asked to take a sip of Lucozade and this time last year I was at The Brit awards and never got asked for anything. Take lucozade and glucose tabs with you and you should be fine. As noble head said drop your tea time insulin a bit. As being a little bit high can be better as no doubt you will be dancing at some point. But last and most importantly have fun!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk