Victoria Spong with sweteners??

mchphoto

Hi

I am needing to make a victoria sponge cake and looking at the list of items needed it say 200 g caster sugar, now as I am type 2 , I will need to use a swetener sub for the caster sugar, the main thing I have a problem is that 200gm of sugar and 200g of swetner are the same weights, BUT the volume is as much as the 1-2 KG bags of sugar,

So my question is how much swetener should I use ?, I cannot find an answer on various food and diabetic web sites - so currently stumped on the whole amount as if you look at a large container of swetener it is only 75g, and is almost the same physical size of 1kg of sugar.

I am thinking of around 50gm of swetener for a standard cake

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance

Michael

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't think that you can do a direct swap because for the same amount of sweetness you have far less volume. . It's better to look for a specific recipe
Heres a Splenda one to give you an idea

http://splenda.co.uk/recipes/sponge-cak ... se-filling
There are also a lot of recipes for lower carb cakes on here and there are some 'experts'
I gave up baking shortly after I became diabetic :lol:

colacard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
When I bake I weigh out 1/4 sugar and see what volume that is in the scale, then I measure sweetener to the same volume 3 times to give the full amount needed for my recipie. Hope this helps. X

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

mchphoto

Hi all

Thank you for all your replies, I think the last one seems nearer what I am thinking due to the "volume" that sweteners take up compared to normal sugar.

I will weigh the amount of swetner as regards the volume and report back probably on Thursday when I have made the cake and tell you what I think of the taste etc

thanks

Michael

mchphoto

HI
Well I have done the first batch of sponge cakes and found the following:

It's the Sugar content I was worried about, as the volume of sweeteners needed to make up 200 gm of sugar, so what I did was for the initial batch, I reduced the recipe from standard e.g. 4 eggs, 200gm sugar, flour and butter to using 1 egg as it was a shame to waste ingredients if you do not have to and it was an experiment.

So the sugar level I needed to make was 50g, but I wanted to reduce that further so I used 25g of normal sugar, the added approx 3 times the Volume of sweetener as per a previous poster this came to 8 grams for 25g of normal sugar(approx). I made it as normal and the cake mixture on the bowl tasted wonderful (come on admit it we have all licked the bowl when making cakes haven’t we??) and the sponge was light airy and again wonderful. I even tried it on my friends and they loved it, one is diabetic and his wife who is a chef for a hotel, loved the sponge cake, the mixing bowl etc

So for a full recipe you would need 100g sugar, 32g of sweetener, 4 eggs, 8 oz or 225g of butter, self raising flour and 2 teaspoon of baking powder - Just a standard recipe for Victoria sponge we are just reducing the sweeteners in the cake, I think for the next mix, I will reduce the sugar again by half , that means 50g sugar, and around 50g of sweeteners.

I am using Tesco own brand granulated sweetener that comes in 75g plastic jars.

I could not taste the sweeteners in the mix as this was again one of my worries, but try it, say in small batches just in case it is not to your liking, but using the sweeteners above this works, now to try a full size batch on Friday.

Enjoy

Michael :)

Reactions: lorraine95

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HI
Well I have done the first batch of sponge cakes and found the following:

It's the Sugar content I was worried about, as the volume of sweeteners needed to make up 200 gm of sugar, so what I did was for the initial batch, I reduced the recipe from standard e.g. 4 eggs, 200gm sugar, flour and butter to using 1 egg as it was a shame to waste ingredients if you do not have to and it was an experiment.

So the sugar level I needed to make was 50g, but I wanted to reduce that further so I used 25g of normal sugar, the added approx 3 times the Volume of sweetener as per a previous poster this came to 8 grams for 25g of normal sugar(approx). I made it as normal and the cake mixture on the bowl tasted wonderful (come on admit it we have all licked the bowl when making cakes haven’t we??) and the sponge was light airy and again wonderful. I even tried it on my friends and they loved it, one is diabetic and his wife who is a chef for a hotel, loved the sponge cake, the mixing bowl etc

So for a full recipe you would need 100g sugar, 32g of sweetener, 4 eggs, 8 oz or 225g of butter, self raising flour and 2 teaspoon of baking powder - Just a standard recipe for Victoria sponge we are just reducing the sweeteners in the cake, I think for the next mix, I will reduce the sugar again by half , that means 50g sugar, and around 50g of sweeteners.

I am using Tesco own brand granulated sweetener that comes in 75g plastic jars.

I could not taste the sweeteners in the mix as this was again one of my worries, but try it, say in small batches just in case it is not to your liking, but using the sweeteners above this works, now to try a full size batch on Friday.

Enjoy

Michael :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry managed to send quote without reply!
I have a jar if Tesco Stevia Sweet in the cupboard as I bought it hoping I could make a cake I could actually eat. Please can you send me the recipe for your cake as I got a bit lost in your last post as you seem to be using both sugar and stevia which kind of defeats the object of trying to make a sugar free cake. Thanks

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
Eat any cake you like. I go for a 3u jag of Humalog per slice ;-)