Calorie Counter App. Myfitnesspro

dave1961

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Went 4 weeks ago to the diabetic dietitian who said that I needed to loose weight although my calorie count on a food log averaged around 1300 a day, but we all cheat (try not too but) anyway, she suggested an app called Myfitnesspro which again is a food log but accesses internet for food details either by name or scan the bar code.

Started as I said 4 weeks ago, being it's so easy to use you do the log when you eat or drink, my calorie count now averages 1100 - 1150 a day and so far I've lost 3 Kilo's down to 116 from 119 my optimum weight is 89 Kilos, don't think I was ever that thin, it also let's you see carbs, sugar, salt etc

It's a really helpful app and it's free, you do have to set an account up so it stores your logs but you can use a dummy email address or Facebook, it doesn't post to Facebook or anywhere if you don't want it to.

As long as you've got a computer, smart phone or tablet you can access your details, add food, drinks as you go, it also links to mywalkpro app (also free) that logs you walking / running and those calories you burn off are deducted automatically from your intake calories.

It helps me, hopefully if you download it, it will help you.

Dave

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Ria

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use my net diary. The iPhone version has an option to add BG results. The app has helped me to loose 17kg.

cdunbar86

I've recently found out too and still getting to grips with calories, low gi's and all the other stuff attached with T2. I use this app and have lost easily 8lb in 2 weeks. It's great for monitoring and finding it so helpful atm

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I love myfitnesspal :)

I log all my foods and exercise and have never felt better. I started on the 09/01/2014 and have lost 24.5lbs since then. I have it linked into my Fitbit and it shows all my walking/exercise.

I would definitely recommend this for anything with diabetes/trying to lose weight.

I love the graph you get which shows your carbs/fats/protein. I believe I am a carb monster :)

Well done Dave on your loss so far - that is excellent :)

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use myfitnesspal and for a time linked my Fitbit to it, but I found a couple of things that annoyed me. Firstly, my Fitbit Flex overestimated the steps taken even when the sensitivity was set to low, and it also underestimated the calories burned when walking. I also didn't like the way it continued to estimate calories burned even though the estimation option was turned off. As such, it kept reducing the exercise calories through the evening and I'd often find I'd consumed too many calories when Fitbit had finally decided how many calories to give me for my exercise. I've now gone back to using myfitnesspal only and the Fitbit has been consigned to a drawer.

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes it can be like that - but I never eat any of my exercise calories anyway. I always stick to the calories that are set by myfitnesspal. Any exercise calories are a bonus and if you don't eat them you end up with a higher weight loss (which is what I am hoping for). I find them both great motivational tools.

Sell it on Ebay - you will make an absolute fortune - or just sell the band - I can't believe they go for so much money on ebay :)

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't need to lose any more weight as my BMI is only just over 19 as it is. Any more wieght loss and I'll be skeletal!

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use map my walk to record distance then record the distance on myfitnesspal. However, I've noticed that MMW attributes more calories burned than MFP. I also don't eat the calories I've burned through exercise.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I started using it a couple of weeks ago and do like it, but you have to be so careful if using their data base of foods/carbs/cals etc. So many of them are contradictory and many are just plain wrong. I just use my own foods and meals as much as possible.
I also don't eat the calories burned through exercise. They are a bonus.

dave1961

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah. I also don't eat burned calories, just in case.

I've just ordered from Amazon a Fitbit Flex, hopefully it's also going to help with weight loss and sleep patterns.

Sent from Apple IPhone App

willen123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also use myfitnesspal, it has most of the UK foods that I eat. I did try mynetdiary and whilst the diabetes BG recording was great n it, I found the food database was much more US based and therefore I spent more time entering ingredients etc.
I have added custom stats that I log for my BG, at least I have some record over time.

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah. I also don't eat burned calories, just in case.

I've just ordered from Amazon a Fitbit Flex, hopefully it's also going to help with weight loss and sleep patterns.

Dave, if you are like me you will love it :) It has helped me a great deal :) Sleeping a lot better these days - probably because I'm so tired from all the walking :)

dave1961

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dave, if you are like me you will love it :) It has helped me a great deal :) Sleeping a lot better these days - probably because I'm so tired from all the walking :)

Arrived today, still getting used to using it. Not sure on the estimated burned calories display yet though. Gonna try the sleep thing tonight.

Ria

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Willen123. I tend to use the normal mynetdiary app for new food entries as the barcode scanner in that is so much better than in their diabetes version.

Kenry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
CAREOT- Online Calorie Counter iPhone and Android App
Careot Online Counter great app for tracking your calories.track your diet ,nutrition and helps you in maintain daily healthy diet