Should diabetics have better knowledge of other types of diabetes

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok then guys this is going to be a controversial on here. I have been reading this forum a lot and there is a lot of misinformation out there and I think we should all learn about diabetes as a disease not I'm type 1 or your only type 2, or you have diabetes coz you ate to much sweet stuff, or you can't eat that coz it will kill you, you have all seen different posts by different people, and until diabetics learn about diabetes on all parts how are non diabetics ever learn about this disease

Sent from my iPad

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Sort of agree but people are often only interested in their own condition and advise others accordingly. I think there is sometimes some confusion here in certain threads when posting from a mobile phone app as it is not always clear if a question was asked by T1, T2 or LADA or anyone else. It's also not always clear on meds. The desktop version is usually clearer. I do agree though that in an ideal world we'd understand more about diabetes as a whole. As for the general public, they are fed rubbish by the media constantly which doesn't help. Unsure of the answer really to change this. Our charity is small compared to many and the funding isn't there to spend on public education.

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This might sound really selfish but I've never seen the need to look into other types of diabetes because I'll never get them! :S

I don't really offer advice to other types if I know they're not the same type of me so I don't get it wrong.

I totally see your point and should probably do some research if I'm going to stay on forums like this one.

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also, I'm not sure how I'd feel having someone that's not the same as me giving advice about my condition.
This is another reason I don't advise other types.

Indiana x

Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Also, I'm not sure how I'd feel having someone that's not the same as me giving advice about my condition.
This is another reason I don't advise other types.

Indiana x

Most doctors don't have your condition ;-)

Reactions: 8 people

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know that.
But they have been to university.

Indiana x

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know that.
But they have been to university.

Indiana x

My brother is a doctor. He's been to uni. He asked what bolus meant the other day.....

He's not an endo, but he's working at a GP!

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

Reactions: 4 people

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't see my gp about my diabetes either!
I speak to my consultants about it and I don't always agree with them, some of them don't have a clue what they're talking about.

All I was saying was that I don't know how I'd feel about someone with a different type of diabetes advising me on my type and that I don't advise them if I know they're not the same as me. Different types require different care, that was the point I was trying to make.

Indiana x

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't see my gp about my diabetes either!
I speak to my consultants about it and I don't always agree with them, some of them don't have a clue what they're talking about.

All I was saying was that I don't know how I'd feel about someone with a different type of diabetes advising me on my type and that I don't advise them if I know they're not the same as me. Different types require different care, that was the point I was trying to make.

Indiana x

I understand what your saying here but it's not advising on different types it's about understanding them. Quite often a type 2 will be on exactly the same medication as a type 1 so it's not always about type it's about treatment

Sent from my iPad

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some things can be shared no matter what type we are for instance recipes and also we can just support one another if we are struggling I see quite a few posts that say I am a type 2 for instance when a type 1 posts but there may be something in common that they can help with
CAROL

Reactions: 7 people

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And about feelings too.

You can sympathise on a human level with someone suffering from a condition without experiencing it yourself. Sometimes it's helpful to just offer a bit of support while waiting for some more knowledgeable response.

Some things are "universal" too. Any diabetic might suffer an amputation for instance. The threats are similar.

Jane

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I personally steer clear from most T2 posts. I don't follow a low carb diet, I have very little to share with them.

However, a T2 on insulin I WOULD contribute to.

Like to mo mentioned, on the app it's hard to distinguish between the types because it's not clear. And in the past I have been caught out giving T1 advice to a T2 because it was in a "generic" forum as opposed to T2 specific. I have seen similar happen to t1s

Reactions: 3 people

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I would find it helpful if everyone put in their signature the type of diabetes they have, and also whether they're on insulin - as lots of members but not all do already. That would be an easy way for every reader to know how relevant their advice and experience may be.

Kate

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I would find it helpful if everyone put in their signature the type of diabetes they have, and also whether they're on insulin - as lots of members but not all do already. That would be an easy way for every reader to know how relevant their advice and experience may be.

Kate
Still not sure it all shows up though when posting from a phone app.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've learnt quite a lot about Type 1 and 1.5/LADA from reading on here, but I wouldn't give any advice on insulin related things.

I use the desktop site so it is clear which section I am posting in.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Still not sure it all shows up though when posting from a phone app.

I don't see any signatures apart from my own for some reason!

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can see yours hale710 can't see anyone else's either and I'm on an app.

Indiana x

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just an idea for the people at the top perhaps they could put a section in the profile part to add in type, treatment, medication and so on and so forth

Reactions: 3 people

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just an idea for the people at the top perhaps they could put a section in the profile part to add in type, treatment, medication and so on and so forth

That's a brilliant idea!

Indiana x

C

catherinecherub

I think it is very difficult to involve the public about any condition unless they are personally involved.
As to us not knowing enough about diabetes in general, there have been divisions in the diabetes community where people do not want their diabetes to be understood as another type and have called for name changing to differentiate between types. There is a stigma attached to Type2 but if the public are treating Type1s in the same manner then it is the media that needs to change.

http://www.diabetesmine.com/2013/04/the-kerfuffle-over-new-names-for-type-1-and-type-2-diabetes.html

I think this man had the right idea about the diabetes community when he put this petition up for signing when you read through his goals. (One petition to help us all).
http://strangelydiabetic.com/2013/04/17/and-one-petition-to-help-them-all/

I know a little about Type 1 but would never advise on this condition. I would be unable to answer a post from a Type1 who is asking about insulin but I would be prepared to offer them support and would bump their post up so that someone would help them out. I am not going to understand insulin use any time in the future much like an insulin user would have difficulty advising me about my diet other than in general terms but we could help each other by understanding that our conditions are different but equally important. to us.

The public are on the whole not interested in any condition unless it affects them personally so should we be more involved in learning about other conditions too? How many of you prior to diagnosis, knew anything about diabetes? This does not apply to people diagnosed when they were children.

Reactions: 6 people