Dating with Diabetes

sugartoohigh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Potatoes & rice, so no problem there then :)
I took time out from dating to get my head round being told I had type 2. While things can always go wrong I'm pretty happy I've got it under control for now.

So my question is at what stage in the dating game do you tell the other person you have diabetes?

Straight away and then get all the questions out of the way but risk putting some off because of their misconceptions of the condition?

When you start to get to know the lady and don't think its going to frighten her off?

Or the evening of your first date in the restaurant when you ask for the main meal with no carbs?

Advice please :)

SandyXrssy27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I was Diagnoised 5 years ago. I hid it from My Boyfriend for well over 6 months. I was scared to tell him As i was Diagnoised type 2 at Just 34 years old. But both parents are dibaetics. When he found out he had lots of questions. But to be honest it was such a relief to get it out of the way. We got married a few years later.
To be honest be Truthful and Tell the person On The first date if you think they can Understand fully. Or maybe second date. As For Low carb for the Meal on the date I would go with the flow. Don't be too scared now and again to allow yourself a little odd treat.
I should Know I have lost over 5 stones 10lbs on low carb. Now and again won't hurt you.

Reactions: 2 people

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
I told my hubby the first date as i wasnt going off to the toilet to do my jab

noodles

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that no best but in reality no nothing x
I took time out from dating to get my head round being told I had type 2. While things can always go wrong I'm pretty happy I've got it under control for now.

So my question is at what stage in the dating game do you tell the other person you have diabetes?

Straight away and then get all the questions out of the way but risk putting some off because of their misconceptions of the condition?

When you start to get to know the lady and don't think its going to frighten her off?

Or the evening of your first date in the restaurant when you ask for the main meal with no carbs?

Advice please :)
Hi there
I told my now husband straight away & got all the questions out the way. Was also quiet nice when he told me he had looked on the internet about diabetes (me type 1) x

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm just glad you are going to start dating again after your sabbatical. I can understand you needing time to get your head around T2

sugartoohigh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Potatoes & rice, so no problem there then :)
Thanks for the advice folks :)

jack412 wasn't so much getting my head around it , got that sorted a while now. More the life style change on a regular track, not something everyone would find easy to fit in with at the start. I'm not looking for a nurse maid and need to scotch that at the start. So I'll shout it out from the start after all your helpful comments :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Best to be open & honest, if the opportunity arises just mention that you have diabetes but don't make a fuss about it unless she wants to know more, good luck with the dating game :)