Any T1's live alone?

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
And how do you cope with it. Had a night time hypo, woke up soaked in sweat, and barely had the energy or even the motivation to reach for the bottle of lucozade next to the bed. Felt like it took 1/2 an hour to get the cap off. Pretty sure if it wasn't for that lucozade I'd be dead.

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I jus make sure i have sweets in bedside drawer n coke in my fridge etc stuff dotted about house, ye never know when ul need them

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I jus make sure i have sweets in bedside drawer n coke in my fridge etc stuff dotted about house, ye never know when ul need them

I have sweets in every room in the house. At floor level too because I'm never sure if I'll lose the use of my legs!

SandyDee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I live alone too, it can be tricky. I've had some hairy moments but always come out of them so far.

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes

SandyDee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I know that feeling. I've crawled to the front door before to let in the ambulance people after going low, luckily someone rang me and worked out what was going on as I was trying to speak through the wrong end of the phone!

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes I know that feeling. I've crawled to the front door before to let in the ambulance people after going low, luckily someone rang me and worked out what was going on as I was trying to speak through the wrong end of the phone!
That happenned to me the first week after I was diagnosed. By the time I realised what was going on I had enough time to call an Ambulance, crawl to the front door and unlock it before I lost conciousness!

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
I, too, live on my own and,as with many on here have glucotabs etc in every room so that with hope I should be able to get myself to a drawer somewhere. It is a concern as a T1living solo but that's how it and we need to take steps,to manage that.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
i was a single parent for first 5 yr,
it was scary hypoing alone at night, i just made sure i had lucozade in every room

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've travelled by myself and luckily never had a bad hypo as I doubt the health care system would have coped in the areas I've worked or volunteered in. What I did was keep in bed a testing kit and sweets if I needed it as it would have been hard to find this all in the dark. I currently live with others however have never needed help with a hypo from September I will be living alone I intend to make sure I have things in reach and my mobile near by.

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

As a child i always woke & dealt with it by myself.. Though the thought of it prevented me from going away on school trips..
As a student house sharing. No one knew..
My wife only finds out when i crawl back to bed.
& my band mates i share the hotel room with on tour are normally too ****** to even notice.... lol

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't use regular lucozade any more because of the screw tops on the bottles. I can barely get them open at the best of times, let alone when hypo. I now use Lucozade Sport which seems to work just as well but has a flip top cap - much easier to open! I buy lucozade in bulk and the first thing I do when bringing new bottles into the house is break all the seals on the flip tops so I can use them easily.

Btw I wrote to Lucozade a couple of weeks ago and asked if it was viable to change the screw tops to flip tops because of this very reason. I didn't get an outright 'no'! I imagine it would be far too expensive an exercise....

Reactions: 2 people

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm a single mum of a young child and I live alone. It's not really something I think about as I've been on my own for 7 years now. I test prior to bed and if I wake in the night to nip to the loo I test again. Occasionally I set the alarm for 3am if I've eaten in a restaurant and done some guess work with carbs/insulin, just to make sure I'm not dropping too low.

daniT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I live alone and have lucozade next to the bed. I know you have to be prepared but also try not to think the worst or let it worry me.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I travel with work maybe 30 weeks a year, sometimes with colleagues, but of course in my own hotel room overnight.

I always leave my test kit on the bedside table, and normally have some carbs laid out with my running kit. Maybe I should have some very close to hand.

I try and eat reasonably early so I don't have loads of insuling hanging around and always test before I go to sleep.

I don't think I've had an overnight hypo, most of mine come about through exercise, so I always carry something just in case.

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I don't think I've had an overnight hypo, most of mine come about through exercise, so I always carry something just in case.

Exercise induced lows usually affect me about 6 hours after exerciseing, I found it a much harder learning curve accounting for exerercise than working out food stuff.

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This may seem really stupid but I am starting to think I am very different from a lot of Type 1's as far as hypos are concerned. Your stories of being able to call an ambulance and unlock front doors etc before passing out or being able to rationalise that you are having a hypo but not strong enough to open a bottle of lucozade are wildly different from my experience.
I think it's because my hypo unawareness is very erratic but if I could rationalise enough to make a phone call or unlock a door I would be able to go and get some glucose in myself. If I am that bad I am incapable of anything and will be unconscious within minutes. I personally think my awareness has gone for good though as it has been very poor for years now despite the constant protestations of my DSN's to "run it high for a few weeks and they'll come back" No they don't!

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I totally agree tomvon tryin to work out after exercise if i should take insulin with my meal is hard! But i was doin a 1.5 hour boxing class n havin bm at 10 before starting n as really intense class still having to stop half way n have a sugar fix! Was told by nurse to have it ar 10 wasnt good for my muscles to aim for 7/8 prior n stop more n take jelly babies or coke but this also diesnt work coz im not sweet toothed so doin this in mid intense exercise jus makes me feel sick due to the sweetness! Its a total pain, n then workin out what exercise effects in what way coz i do body pump one day n like metafit n another cardio class together next day so theyre both very diff levels of physical exercise! Its so frustrating! And i love my exercise so this is the part that depressed me not losing out on sweet treats!