Ignorant people!

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
So I went to a bar yesterday and asked for a vodka and diet coke. The lady behind the bar gave me a vodka and normal coke and I could immediately taste the difference! She swore blind that it was diet coke (it wasn't) and when I told her I needed diet as I am a type 1 diabetic she said to me "well you shouldn't really be drinking the should you?"
Bloody cheek!!!!!!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You wanna be in a German bar... "A coke light???! Are you gayyyy??" Lol

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
So I went to a bar yesterday and asked for a vodka and diet coke. The lady behind the bar gave me a vodka and normal coke and I could immediately taste the difference! She swore blind that it was diet coke (it wasn't) and when I told her I needed diet as I am a type 1 diabetic she said to me "well you shouldn't really be drinking the should you?"
Bloody cheek!!!!!!!

I would have asked to see the manager. Then I would have gone down the discrimination route. ......

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You wanna be in a German bar... "A coke light???! Are you gayyyy??" Lol
Clearly you must be! Or maybe even diabetic?!

sam381

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Clearly you must be! Or maybe even diabetic?!

I sometimes get the "are you gay?" sort of comment when I order a diet drink with people I don't know. The look on their faces when I say "no, I'm diabetic actually" is priceless. Although it is then normally followed up with "how? You aren't fat". Ignorance is bliss!

Reactions: 4 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I sometimes get the "are you gay?" sort of comment when I order a diet drink with people I don't know. The look on their faces when I say "no, I'm diabetic actually" is priceless. Although it is then normally followed up with "how? You aren't fat". Ignorance is bliss!

Have you never thought of replying - no only at weekends! Lol! What is wrong with these people?!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
.. Or act overtly effeminate when ordering. It's less hassle than explaining diabetes..

Reactions: 7 people
D

Deleted member 101090

i often say that i cannot stand the feeling of fur on my teeth that sugary drinks leave ... works usually.

besides, is it me or are sugary drinks so sweet that it hurts?

appleannie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
modern music
I always ask for my diet drinks to be in a can or bottle so that I can be sure they are ok I do not trust if they are from a pump.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I always ask for my diet drinks to be in a can or bottle so that I can be sure they are ok I do not trust if they are from a pump.

Spot on, that way you can be sure that the drink you are getting is a diet drink.

Never ever trust those pump dispensers, we've had countless threads on the forum over the years where members have been served full-sugar drinks instead of diet versions.

Jkm2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was at a hotel for a meeting before christmas and I started to go low. I felt it, so I went to the bar and asked for red bull, however, a colleague of mine heard me and knew I was type1, he told the barman to hurry up as my colleague was adamant I was about to die!, even though I was only 3.7! How funny. It was about to go downhill as the waitress over heard this and thought it best to call 999 and tell them that someone as dying in their hotel! The police, motorbike paramedic and an ambulance were there in minutes. I was confronted by a doctor man in an orange suite who was very confused as to how I was still standing. Luckily the policeman saw sense and recognised the waitresses over reaction. Talk about finesse whispers!!!! But it was very embarrassing. The doctor took great pride in educating the barman, waitress and my colleague about diabetes, and told the, not to over react! I have not returned to the hotel since.

Reactions: 4 people
D

Deleted member 101090

everybody at work knows that i am diabetic ... now yesterday a co-worker offered a cup of tea and about 3 gulps into that tea i noticed the tell tale sign of furry teeth and a sour aftertaste and though "****, that was sugar" ... too bad that his memory is so weak ... but i am warned, i will make my own in the future.

seriously though, i feel unable to tell the difference between sweetener and sugar purely from the taste ,

how do you tell that a drink contains sugar?

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
everybody at work knows that i am diabetic ... now yesterday a co-worker offered a cup of tea and about 3 gulps into that tea i noticed the tell tale sign of furry teeth and a sour aftertaste and though "****, that was sugar" ... too bad that his memory is so weak ... but i am warned, i will make my own in the future.

seriously though, i feel unable to tell the difference between sweetener and sugar purely from the taste ,

how do you tell that a drink contains sugar?

I can just taste the difference, I've always preferred diet drinks to sugary ones even when I wasn't diabetic.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was at a hotel for a meeting before christmas and I started to go low. I felt it, so I went to the bar and asked for red bull, however, a colleague of mine heard me and knew I was type1, he told the barman to hurry up as my colleague was adamant I was about to die!, even though I was only 3.7! How funny. It was about to go downhill as the waitress over heard this and thought it best to call 999 and tell them that someone as dying in their hotel! The police, motorbike paramedic and an ambulance were there in minutes. I was confronted by a doctor man in an orange suite who was very confused as to how I was still standing. Luckily the policeman saw sense and recognised the waitresses over reaction. Talk about finesse whispers!!!! But it was very embarrassing. The doctor took great pride in educating the barman, waitress and my colleague about diabetes, and told the, not to over react! I have not returned to the hotel since.

In fairness, that waitress acted with the best intentions... Think along the lines of that "stroke advert" Or the ethos of if you see a fire, don't leave it to someone else to call..?

Years ago a mate collapsed outside a pub we were in.. somebody came in & told our group the news.. We piled outside & found him on the floor against the first course of brickwork on the building, clutching his chest in agony..
True the guy had a history of minor heart problems.. An ambulance had been called. I told em when they arrived "he had been drinking, but was not drunk.."
The group followed on & found him in a treatment room on monitors.. (though by this time he seemed quite well.)
It turned out he had acute indigestion... lol But the worry had caused his heart to race a bit!!

Sheepish, we apologised for the trouble caused to the staff.. They were cool about it saying we'd done the right thing!..