Win £100 for £1 and help disabled kids :)

popsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Can't believe this, I have just got up, it's 7 am Monday morning here. First thing I looked up was this and he finished in a great time! Know what? I am having a little tear here! How daft is that? I am just so glad. :happy:

Superb run Andy, well done mate! You are a legend! You know you will have to do it all again next year because then we might have SKY! Hah!!

Yahoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :joyful:

Reactions: 3 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Thankyou all for your best wishes and donations!

This run has been building up for what feels like such a long time, i did the training, although i now know i didnt do enough lol, this meant i was terribly nervous so i was awake at 2am and finally gave up the ghost by 4 and got up, this was actually quite a good idea as i sat watching rubbish tellly eating my yogurt slowly actually feeling quite relaxed, this was until my wife was up at 5am stressing and non stop talking about where her the kids and the mother in law (who is really nice btw) was going to go and cheer me on, we had gone over this a thousand times and i think this was part of her stress over me killing myself on the run hehe, so i had to order her back to bed by 5:30 and i returned to my zen state, i slowly got ready and left the house at 6am i had had at least 4 toilet trips by this point, i got to the trust and still felt ok, we all met up inside and i was kinda pleased there were other nervous people, so we jump on the coach for the hourish long journey to greenwich, the lady who has been looking after gave us some last minute tips about the dos and donts, it was inspiring and this was my first almost teary moment, i knew all of what she was saying as id read all about it a million times, i knew exactly what i should do tactically, so the coach turns up and off we get along with so many other people on so many other coaches, there was a fair walk to where we needed to be, we had some group photos and stood around chatting, at this point i just wanted it to start, we went through to the runners only area, handed in the bags to the bag drop and stood around again, all the time the nerves building, then through to the start point, i was way near the back, which was fine because my planned tactics where to start slow, the hooter goes and my fellow elite athletes set off, about 13 minutes later i made it to the start line, i instantly felt much better once i was off, in fact i felt amazing, i knew exactly how to run my race and it started perfectly, why i decided to start slowly began to feel like not such a good idea, i knew i could go faster and i knew the crowd support would get me through the last stages because it was already amazing at mile one, this was the moment i completely wrecked my race, everything id read and all my plans went out of the window and i started following a dude with a 4:15 pace on hes flag thingy, my plan was to stay behind him until my last few miles then sprint to the finish in about 4 hours (im just so clever), the wife and kids were at mile 8 with a huge banner and i stopped for multiple kisses while jogging on the spot, this was my first actual tears of the day, i was very happy i had my sunglasses on, the first half went according to plan pretty much and i did it in about 2:16 i think and with my negative split (2nd half faster than first half) i was now going to be happy with 4:30 at worst, by mile 15 i hit the wall, holy ****! this is a very difficult thing to explain, it isnt a wall as such as it comes on quite slowly, it started with cramp in the back of both legs, ok i though, i can run this off, then my legs start to feel heavy and my joints are starting to hurt, dont panic andy, this will pass, by mile 16 i wanted to die!, everything hurt, from my back down to my feet, i at this point decided i wasnt going to finish, i started praying for 19 where the kids were going to be and this would inspire me, i turned a corner at 19 (docklands) and there was a huge childrens trust cheering section, and they went bananas! i will never as long as i live forget this and i have tears just typing this, it was at a really difficult point and it was amazing! i was sobbing like a baby as i passed, a minute or two later the wife and kids with the banner, i was so emotional, i couldnt talk or stop, it was so lovely and whilst struggling the greatest 15 minutes of my life! the pain i was in didnt go away, it got worse, i got to mile 20 and after accepting half a banana from a nice person got terrible stitch, this made me walk for a minute but was looking at the watch and was still on target to beat 5 hours, so i kept going, from this point onwards things get blurry, everyone in the crowd call out encouragement constantly, im not sure if this was because i looked in so much pain or not, i had practised my not looking constipated face in training but any thought of my face was gone i was in complete agony, everything hurt and i was in one foot in front of the other, i was trying mind games, trying to block it out, trying to count steps in my mind, trying to dedicate my miles to different people i loved, but it was just mind blowing pain, i had completely blown it and now praying for the end to come, whatever form the end came, the finish line or death, the last 4 miles is supposed to be the best 4 miles of a runners life, for me it was the worst, i couldnt lift my head or thank people shouting out anymore, my teeth were gritted and i just kept going, i managed to raise my hands as i went through the finish but there was no pleasure in it lol, i was in a kind of shock, i was blubbering, i couldnt talk or thank the person who took my timing chip off my trainer or the person who gave me the medal, i just walked forward and cried, by the time id met up with the wife etc i was thinking straight but walking bad, i couldnt lift my feet when walking so i sort of slid them along, we ended up in a black cab and it brought us home (£65 eek) the cab was my ambulance lol i ate my steak dinner and went to bed, slept through to 6:30 this morning.

so here i am, i made it to the sofa, down the stairs, im going to attempt making myself a cup of tea after this, i hurt everywhere, i did this to myself by going to fast, i had been told not to do this so many times, why i did will remain a mystery, my shoulders are hurting so i assume i was hunched over lol what a site i must have been.

but! i have a medal! it is mine! i earned it! it is priceless! and i dedicate it to everyone who thinks they cant do something.

Thankyou all for helping me! xxx

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 16 people

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Wow!

You know how proud your Forum Family is, don't you?

Have the day off!

Cara

Reactions: 5 people

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Andy, Congratulations what an amazing result, those kiddies will be soooooo proud of you as are the rest of us, good excuse to get the wife to give you a good massage today for all those aches and pains lol.

Marilyn

Reactions: 4 people