METFORMIN

Markjim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just got my Metformin from my doctor. But I wonder if this really work on me to lower my glucose after I ate a meal. If it does how long it takes to take this on effect? I'm worried about not having my sugar down after each time I eat a meal. I wait about an hour after a meal then measure my sugar but it's still high about around average 230 mg/dl. So because I'm much worried of this high rating I didn't take chances that glucose would linger on my system. I essentially did wanted to take this medicine work as late before glucose does harm to my body. I started to walk at least 1.5 hour then it goes down to less than 100 mg/dl. I wonder if Metrofin has some efficacy to lower my glucose, or it is that my walking exercise is the one that does the job of lowering it. I can't make any distinction of it whether Metrofin is working or not. If it is did anyone knows exactly how this Metrofin works, and how long to get this take on effect on lowering glucose after a meal? Please reply anyone who is familiar to this. Great thanks!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Walking always lowers my BG - my lowest reading of the day is always after my morning walk.

My understanding of metformin is that it doesn't have a huge impact on BG levels, but has other benefits especially with regard to insulin resistance. It takes up to 3 weeks to build up to a therapeutic level in the body. You can read more about it here:

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045911.php

Food has more impact on your BG than metformin - especially dietary carbohydrates. If you haven't already done so, I'd suggest you read the basic information section for the newly diagnosed:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/newly-diagnosed.39/

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
metformin takes 3 weeks to kick in and upto 3 mths for full effect. it's said it will reduce your A1c by about 1.5%. T2 is diet and exercise which you are aware of
it's a good thing you have your meter and the site above from indi has a lot of info and pages on it eg: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php

If needed a lot here use the LCHF diet
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

craving the missed carbs can be a problem for the first week,
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm

have a read, ask lots of questions and everyone is scared out of their wits about having diabetes to start with

ne0h

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just got my Metformin from my doctor. But I wonder if this really work on me to lower my glucose after I ate a meal. If it does how long it takes to take this on effect? I'm worried about not having my sugar down after each time I eat a meal. I wait about an hour after a meal then measure my sugar but it's still high about around average 230 mg/dl. So because I'm much worried of this high rating I didn't take chances that glucose would linger on my system. I essentially did wanted to take this medicine work as late before glucose does harm to my body. I started to walk at least 1.5 hour then it goes down to less than 100 mg/dl. I wonder if Metrofin has some efficacy to lower my glucose, or it is that my walking exercise is the one that does the job of lowering it. I can't make any distinction of it whether Metrofin is working or not. If it is did anyone knows exactly how this Metrofin works, and how long to get this take on effect on lowering glucose after a meal? Please reply anyone who is familiar to this. Great thanks!
Some people will tell you metformin will only reduce your blood glucose reading by 1 or 2 points. (That was what people told me). Before my Dr adjusted my dose my blood sugar was in the range 29+ consistently. I started off on 1000mg per day and it did not seem to dent my high sugar readings. I had the dosage increased to 850mg twice a day and within 1 week my blood glucose readings improved dramatically. I am now getting readings of 7 - 7.5! This big change for me has all been due to metformin.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
they say if your a1c is 8-10% met will get it to about 1.5% less
I haven't read the mmol number reduction but I think you may also have a diet component to your BG reduction from 30 to 7.5
http://clinical.diabetesjournals.org/content/25/4/131.full
The major clinical effect of metformin is to decrease fasting glucose levels, thereby reducing hemoglobin A1c (A1C). The degree of clinical effect varies in individual patients, but most patients experience a reduction in A1C of ∼ 1.5 percentage points.6 Because metformin exerts its effects primarily through impairing hepatic gluconeogenesis, it is primarily an antihyperglycemic agent, rather than a hypoglycemic agent, such as insulin or sulfonylureas. As a result, the incidence of hypoglycemia with metformin is quite low. Metformin has additional effects of modest reduction in plasma triglyceride concentrations resulting from decreased production of very-low-density lipoprotein.3

Last edited by a moderator:

ne0h

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations ne0h, you appear to have made medical history!
Why? Because all of the pundits who predicted that metformin would not have a big impact for me were wrong? The kicker in my case is that I have not gone on any special diet (as yet). I have continued to eat like a normal person. I have not had to take the gliclazide that I was prescribed along with metformin as my bg is nice and low for the moment.

The simple fact is that each person may get varying results from different meds.

Tigerkitty1950

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I used to eat and eat, finish every meal and eat snacks, now I take Metformin I don't always finish a meal, have cut down on carbs and drastically on crisps, I have lost over 3 kilos in 3 weeks, and hope to continue losing some more, I often have hunger pangs, unusual for me but this just made me realise I must be burning more calories, after resisting taking tables and trying a diet I realised I was getting nowhere, feel much happier now on the tablets

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to eat and eat, finish every meal and eat snacks, now I take Metformin I don't always finish a meal, have cut down on carbs and drastically on crisps, I have lost over 3 kilos in 3 weeks, and hope to continue losing some more, I often have hunger pangs, unusual for me but this just made me realise I must be burning more calories, after resisting taking tables and trying a diet I realised I was getting nowhere, feel much happier now on the tablets
there is no need to be hungry. a good idea to cut the carbs but eat more if you are hungry, extra 'fat' and low starch/carb veg eg veg with a large knob of butter with a normal serve of protein. google 'fat bombs' for ideas and have a read about LCHF

sue1309

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
False, patronising people who assume they know everything about me!
I've just started on Metformin today....I couldn't tolerate it a few years ago, but I'm willing to give it another go. My pharmacist is an old school friend of mine and she mentioned a new oral medication that secretes glucose through the urine and results show a massive weight loss too. Has anyone heard of this? Apparently it's just been licensed!!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have read about it, isn't it the one that stops glucose being reabsorbed? unless it's life threatening and I really need it, I like a drug to be out for 10 years before I take it.
are you on the slow release metformin?

Reactions: 2 people

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just started on Metformin today....I couldn't tolerate it a few years ago, but I'm willing to give it another go. My pharmacist is an old school friend of mine and she mentioned a new oral medication that secretes glucose through the urine and results show a massive weight loss too. Has anyone heard of this? Apparently it's just been licensed!!

Could you be talking of Forxiga? I am on it and can't be happier at the results. No massive weight loss but improvement of bloods and less insulin.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sue1309

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have read about it, isn't it the one that stops glucose being reabsorbed? unless it's life threatening and I really need it, I like a drug to be out for 10 years before I take it.
are you on the slow release metformin?
No, I was told at my last clinic appt it would be slow release, but my GP surgery hadn't sent the script to the chemist so I had to march down there and find out why. They couldn't find my hospital letter!! Then the GP nurse appeared and she had the letter! She actually wrote the script but when I got to the chemist it's just the 'normal' Metformin. Saying that, I've just had my lunch and had great difficulty in finishing it!! I know it could just be all in my head, it's only the 2nd tab I've taken, but, honestly, I felt really full after a few bites! And believe me, that's just not me! So I'm just hoping and keeping my fingers crossed!!! XX

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try and swap over, but they aren't magic. Even the slow release gave me gut symptoms. I'm trying to remember how long it took to settle down, I think everything was ok around the 3 week mark.

sue1309

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Try and swap over, but they aren't magic. Even the slow release gave me gut symptoms. I'm trying to remember how long it took to settle down, I think everything was ok around the 3 week mark.
I'm only on 1 500mg tab a day for the 1st week, 2 a day the 2nd week then 3 a day, so I'll probably have to wait and see.....X