Anybody got Private Pilots License (PPL)

j666gak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I have been a T1 for 15yrs now on injections 4 times per day. I have had to give up certain sports due to my medical condition. I have been looking for other interests and as I don't live far away from an airport and I enjoyed the previous times I have flown light aircraft (experience days), and I would like to take it further/

My question if there is anybody else on the forum who is a T1 in the UK and also passed the medical, are there certain restrictions or process to follow.

Cheers

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

rontom89

Hello!! I've got my skills test coming up SOON!!

I've been learning since May last year (flying out of Aberdeen) Cabro Aviation. I finally got my class 2 through the post a month ago after a couple of trips to Gatwick.

When you decide to go for it, be prepared to jump through hoops! It's obtainable but throughout there was a couple of times when I was like, "can I actually be bothered!" PERSEVERE... It's worth getting that CAA medical through in the end.

My plan is to get my PPL before summer kicks off and just build up hours and hold my class 2 for 18-24 months then go for the class 1.

I know of pilots in the UK now getting phased back into the Airline industry with T1. So it's looking good long-haul.. Excuse the pun!

If you phone up Gatwick and press all the buttons to get put through to the medical department they'll be more than happy to get the ball rolling for you and they'll give you the information you need!

Best of luck!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got USA ppl. Had to put on form taking medication . Took with me letter from doctor to say I go see him every 3 months for A1c and the range. Aviation doctor said he could not issue medical. Eventually medical certificate issued and posted to me from FAA. I did renewal couple of weeks ago and doctor issued medical certificate immediately, on the basis I was ok and that he was authorised to issue so long as no A1c reading not above 9.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I got USA ppl. Had to put on form taking medication . Took with me letter from doctor to say I go see him every 3 months for A1c and the range. Aviation doctor said he could not issue medical. Eventually medical certificate issued and posted to me from FAA. I did renewal couple of weeks ago and doctor issued medical certificate immediately, on the basis I was ok and that he was authorised to issue so long as no A1c reading not above 9.
I'm surprised that they don't set a lower limit for HBa1c as well as an upper limit. In fact I would have thought a lower limit was more important, as an indicator of possible frequent hypos and possible loss of hypo awareness.

miba

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
trying to second guess my body!
Hi.

Diagnosed 3 years ago whilst flying for the British military. I have regained my fATPL and Class 1 medical recently from the UK CAA. Contact the medical section at Gatwick and follow the instructions. If you can meet the criteria then should be successful. http://www.pilotswithdiabetes.com/index.html an excellent place for info. Good luck

Reactions: 4 people