Type 1 Care too much??

ChloeAlisha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My family and friends have been constantly on my back about my blood sugar since I was diagnosed two years ago. I understand that they care, but checking up on my three maybe four times in an hour is too much. How can I ask them to worry less in a nice way, because I can't handle it anymore. I feel like 'just a diabetic' instead of 'Chloe, who has diabetes' and its making my sugars rise and my depression worse.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Hi Chloe,

That's a tough one! I wish my family and friends had been as interested and bothered as yours about my diabetes, but at the same time I do understand your frustration and feelings. It's good that you've come on line to chat, perhaps - after some more replies and a day or two's reflection, you could talk to them about it?

It's hard having diabetes (I was diagnosed and grew up in the era when you were "a diabetic" :oldman:), especially because most of the time you'll spend life confronting the pig-ignorant, ill-informed and utterly stupid and you'll find yourself explaining the basics to people time and time and time again.

I guess that few of your family - and even less of your friends - have been on an education course about diabetes and so they will be both curious and concerned for you. The hard part - for them as much as you, is how to be concerned and supportive without being overly involved.

Perhaps you could try to discuss it by asking them how they feel about you having diabetes, and what concerns and questions they have? Perhaps they feel clueless and helpless? If so, being able to talk about it will help you all find the best way to deal with it... we often forget - especially in moments of hypo/hyper-glycaemia driven anger or depression that diabetes affects everyone in the family, and not just the person with diabetes. (And sometimes, parents and siblings may hold feelings of guilt about you getting it and not them.)

If you don't feel comfortable or brave enough to start the conversation, point them in the direction of this or other forums about diabetes so that they can see the issues we face on a daily basis, and so help them get a better idea of how they may support you without becoming a nag.

Good luck and very best wishes,
Conrad

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Robert, I think every teen should print that out and stick it on the fridge.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your advice, I'll take it on board x
that sounds like, sorry guys you missed what I meant.:)
is this closer, if it isn't, please keep trying till we get it

over-concern is their way of caring because they may feel helpless and anxious and constantly asking lessens these fears.
you aren't feeling this as caring and it feels like they think something negative or critical about you.
it seems to be loading your feelings up more because they aren't giving you the anything you need to feel good about it.

I would have loved my kids to tell me how they felt, but when asked all I got was "fine" It was like pulling teeth.
you really need to tell your mum how you feel. Get your feelings out that you are feeling sad/depressed. sometimes you might just need a hug and a cuddle to get you through the day. Bottling up your feelings what ever they are, will only make it feel worse.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Chloe, have a look in the Children & Teens forum here - there are plenty of people your age who are going through the same as you and are keen to chat.

We didn't have meters when I was a teen so I never got hassled by anyone over my control and I never discussed it much with anyone, but nowadays there are some folks that always want to know my numbers and tell me what I should / shouldn't eat. Nobody who isn't T1 can really understand that it's not as easy as it looks from the outside.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
My family and friends have been constantly on my back about my blood sugar since I was diagnosed two years ago. I understand that they care, but checking up on my three maybe four times in an hour is too much. How can I ask them to worry less in a nice way, because I can't handle it anymore. I feel like 'just a diabetic' instead of 'Chloe, who has diabetes' and its making my sugars rise and my depression worse.

The simplest thing to do and it will drive everyone round the bend is to keep on asking the checker if they have done something, ie., blown their nose, or changed their underwear every 10 or 15 mins. They soon get very peeved and demand to know why you are doing it. Smile sweetly and say for exactly the same reason you keep asking if I have checked my blood sugar......... To annoy you :) Bet fairly quickly they will soon stop.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just tell them what you told us. It's too much and it's just not helping, it's making it worse.