Glucophage + anti-diarrheals

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I told my doctor that I suffer from IBS and was worried about starting Metformin after reading all the posts about it causing diarrhea. So I was put on Glucophage SR.

Questions:

1. I've now taken it twice, with absolutely no tummy upset (knock on wood!) Does the tummy upset usually start right away (with the first dose), or does it usually start after several days?

2. Is it okay to take an anti-diarrheal with it if it starts causing me problems?

Thank you!

Tigerkitty1950

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. I told my doctor that I suffer from IBS and was worried about starting Metformin after reading all the posts about it causing diarrhea. So I was put on Glucophage SR.

Questions:

1. I've now taken it twice, with absolutely no tummy upset (knock on wood!) Does the tummy upset usually start right away (with the first dose), or does it usually start after several days?

2. Is it okay to take an anti-diarrheal with it if it starts causing me problems?

Thank you!

I had problems taking two together, when I was desperate I decided to take Imodium which was a help, I found that the tummy cramps were due to low potassium, got some yogurt and baked potatoes, banana, milk tuna, all good sources and it stopped the cramps and other problems, not had any More problems since

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Potassium. Check! I will make sure I have some things that include it. Thank you!

Any and all advice is mega-helpful. I don't need any more bathroom problems! :)