Sick and tired of being sick and tired

calamitygayn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have had type 1 for 30 years. Well controlled, never abused etc. Fibromyalgia diagnosed 8 years ago, some drs doubt this diagnosis however. Throid ok though I did have under active when pregnant. Just had surgery for trigger finger but still in pain. I just woke up from 12 hour sleep yet feel like going back to bed. Dr believes my problems are down to depression.
Basically im tired. Constantly. Im not listened to when I ask for help. Im tired of being ill. Im 41 and trying everything but im beginning to feel like im fighting a losing battle. I just don't know what to do or where to turn. Any suggestions? Im at the end of my tether

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel for you, but I'm afraid I can't really contribute to the discussion, because I'm a medication free type 2.

I know that for me fatigue means that my BG is too high, too much of the time, but you say you are well controlled.

Sorry, can only bump the thread!

calamitygayn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks though. I feel so alone! Just had enough really. I want to wake feeling ok and enjoy my family. ...even thinking of giving up work (which would mean giving up my house too as my earnings pay all the bills) just to try and get my health back on track. Im scared that this is the sign of things to come. ..Thanks for your kind words tho xx

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not a Type 1 either, but I was mis-diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome when it was Vitamin D deficiency. I have a friend who has fibromyalgia and she says that it has to be diagnosed by a rheumatologist who tests pressure points,

There are several physical causes of fatigue:
  1. High blood sugar
  2. Vitamin D deficiency
  3. Vitamin B12 deficiency
  4. Iron deficiency anaemia
  5. Underactive Thyroid
  6. Depression.
  7. Stress
  8. Sleep Apnea
  9. Not getting good quality sleep
Go back to your GP and ask to be tested for the deficiencies. It is very easy to get vitamin d deficient, especially if you stay indoors a lot.

calamitygayn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you Denise. Are these confirmed via blood tests? Fibro was diagnosed by rheumatologist, but gp doesn't believe it exists!
Will look up vit b12 and d..ty x

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Change your GP! I doubt you are getting the best care if your GP doesn't believe in a condition diagnosed by a consultant :-/

Given you have a number of conditions and have recently had surgery, combined with you working and probably stressed by the responsibility of paying the mortgage etc, I'm not surprised you are tired. Perhaps seeing another GP in your practice could help?

calamitygayn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Considering that. ..I hate feeling so useless! Just put a note into gps asking for above blood tests but already ordered vitamins! Im very impatient and desperate to feel ok. X

cheza31

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi I have just found out im vit d and vit b12 deficient and was always tired like you now I am taking the vitamins I feel much better. i hope you get this sorted make sure you get the blood tests and keep pushing for help. good luck

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Considering that. ..I hate feeling so useless! Just put a note into gps asking for above blood tests but already ordered vitamins! Im very impatient and desperate to feel ok. X

The symptoms you describe are associated with Fibromyalgia:

• increased sensitivity to pain
  • fatigue (extreme tiredness)
  • muscle stiffness
  • difficulty sleeping
  • problems with mental processes (known as "fibro-fog") – such as problems with memory and concentration
  • headaches
  • irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) – a digestive condition that causes stomach pain and bloating

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/fibromyalgia/pages/introduction.aspx

I don't know much about the condition but you could get in touch with this organisation for help,advice and support:

http://www.ukfibromyalgia.com/index.html

calamitygayn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you cheza....tbh I've given up with the drs so have ordered some vitamins. Im just tired of sleeping 12 - 14 hours and waking up exhausted! Even now, after a 12 hour sleep, have already had a nap and could seriously go back to bed. ..

cheza31

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
it does improve i suffered for a long time and they only found out when i asked for a blood test ive been on the vits for nearly a month and my energy levels have slowly improved. it does get better just hang in there and don't let the docs fob you off. i know you said you ordered the vits but you may need large doses or injections of b12 so still push for the test. hope you start to feel better soon.

calamitygayn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you and noblehead. I feel so rough its like it has to be something more than fibromyalgia. ..I will certainly seek advice from the site you recommend. Im at my wits end. X

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Denise. Are these confirmed via blood tests? Fibro was diagnosed by rheumatologist, but gp doesn't believe it exists!
Will look up vit b12 and d..ty x

If your GP is employed by the NHS he/she should know what Fibro is and what it can do to your health,(they have a NHS contract,so beliefs should not form a opinion to upset you).
No wonder you are fed up and tired.
Is there something at work that is also not helping.

Beat of luck.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Calamity

I was diagnosed with fibro by a rheumatologist about 5 years ago...the change in me from then has been staggering. I was so bad I was on full dla. Like you I really did not want to get out of bed. The only reason I really got out of bed was to look after my dogs and walk them 3 times a day.

Got to say that for me the pain and depression was linked hugely.

Since moving and living in a smaller house and my dogs have died (and not replaced) and totally changing my thought programmes my life has been so much better. The only pain I get is from working physically too hard for too long.. I'm back to gardening and more so than anything having fun.from new hobbies and friends and vit D3.

I have been back to see my friends from previous living and they don't recognise me..

I was put on so many drugs that 1/2 the time few years back I didn't know there was a life to live.

I don't have any drug now on a day to day basis besides my insulin. If I really over done it I will have ibupofen.

Reallythough, having been diagnosedwitithfibro , I had a friend tell me that the depression and pain was linked and I didn't really believe it.

The best thing for me was to fill my days with fun and laughter, I took my hubby to counselling- where he was told he was depressed... Not me...

Please really consider giving or getting something that you enjoy doing each day... Something for YOU...mine was upholstery and my gardening again...and younger friends.

Reactions: 2 people

calamitygayn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow donellysdogs. ...I don't know what to say. Im so glad you're better! However I don't think I would even bother applying for dla or any benefit as I know my gp would not support any application. Glad to hear from so many of you that times can get better. You have all really cheered me up no end. Xxxx

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you on statins some of the side effects are similar to some of your problems
CAROL

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Somehow, Calamity the changes in my happiness and activity definitely made fibro symptoms go...

Also tho, going back to being so physically active and really initially having to soak myself for an hour a night to ease my pain it has helped me.

Having so much enjoyment in my life now has helped enormously too. However, a huge other contributor has definitely been vit d tablets in large qtys. Even though I have still had some times that would have made me crumble before. The vit d definitely lifted my mood and even my mum who has had psychiatric trouble for 50 years since I was born.... It lifted her mood too and me telling her to get off her bum and do something instead of moping!!-lol!!
I wouldn't have had courage 5 years ago to say that to her!!!

Genuine exhaustion is horrible, but just honestly think are you really needing 12hours from pure exhaustion or is it because you are in a low mood and can't be bothered to do anything else except sleep??

Not a crticism... As been there.. But I firmly believe that you can help yourself more with the fibro diagnosis..