Hypo detection dogs

Scardoc

Someone local to me trains these dogs, have met and spoken to them a couple of times. The dog recognises when it's owners blood sugar is too low and is also trained to detect cancer. Absolutely amazing and hugely expensive.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I've had 3 dogs over a 40 year period and each one could detect my hypos without any training.
My Last dog a Labradorable even knew when I needed urgent help from an Addison's crises. As soon as I had managed to get to the door to let him out for a wee, he just took one look at me and went over the railing out onto the road and off down to the neighbours farm where he insisted neighbour came with him as Mum needed help.
My dog was like my shadow and never left my side so 2 and 2 was put together very quickly and neighbour followed Tanner home and sorted out ambulance and after hours Drs.

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There was a bit of a buzz about these dogs on the JDRF "D mom" scene over a year ago..(Mainly on FB.)
Some of them even convinced they could train the family pet to do this based on the attentiveness of their beloved hound... lol

I would imaginer the same amount of selection & training would go into this as would a drug sniffer or guide dog...
Though i do wonder about the "ethics" of relying on an animal to supervise a human..?
But that's another subject... ;)

I did write a ditty on this subject for the JDRF charity gig last year, sung to the tune of "Bread of Heaven"...

If interested sing along....

There’s a dog they want to orbit like an old Russian space program.
There’s this dog called Mr Bouncy saved lives in Afghanistan.
Mr Bouncy, Mr Bouncy evolved with no opposable thumbs,
trained to ignore sniffing bums….

There’s a dog called Mr Bouncy, bred & trained in type one care
Warns of signs when sugar levels drop the patient lives so don’t despair.
Mr Bouncy, Mr Bouncy trained to deal with CPR,
trained to deal with CPR….

Mr Bouncy gives a bark, when patient starts a sugar low.
Bouncy reads for the signs of confusion as patient raids his biscuit bowl.
Mr Bouncy, Mr Bouncy trained to deal with what we are,
he will never do a chocolate bar….

Nicholas Hoare

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A few years ago my Mother was in a very bad way in hospital and my Dad, myself and my Mums dog (a Yorkshire terrier) were sat at home when all of a sudden the dog started acting very strange and started howling for no apparent reason. 10 minutes later the hospital phoned to say my Mum had passed away at 9.10 pm (the exact time the dog started acting strange)

Could have been a coincidence but I am sure dogs have some sort of amazing senses.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A few years ago my Mother was in a very bad way in hospital and my Dad, myself and my Mums dog (a Yorkshire terrier) were sat at home when all of a sudden the dog started acting very strange and started howling for no apparent reason. 10 minutes later the hospital phoned to say my Mum had passed away at 9.10 pm (the exact time the dog started acting strange)

Could have been a coincidence but I am sure dogs have some sort of amazing senses.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

I was brought up in a 300 year old converted batch of cottages.. Weird stuff happened there.. Even my childhood friends said years later they felt the gaff was strange... There were voices, dark humanoid shapes, apparitions, & things running about heavy footed up stairs.., One incident I recall was seeing an "orb" about 6 inches in diameter which our family pet Labrador took a keen interest in.. She seemed quite happy to meet it.!