HAIR LOSS

barbaraww

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am relatively new to being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and have been taking Metformin 750g. Has anyone else experienced hair loss as my hair is definitely getting thinner. Any help would be appreciated please. Thank you

N

NicolaB70

Yes, I am also experiencing hair loss since I was diagnosed 11 months ago. I am also on metformin but take 2000mg. My hair is long and was very thick but it's thinned out considerably with visable bald patches. I've been to my GP about it and had different tests but they don't know why it's happening.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you also taking BP medication? Some of them can cause hair loss.

Another common cause of hair loss can be hypothyroid, but there are quite a few things that can be involved, so best to talk to your doctor about it.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes a bit and I've only been taking it 3 weeks. However I have had so many times in my life when I have experienced hair loss - after pregnancies, with stress, illness etc. that as yet I am not that bothered about it. I have heard that it grows back when you stop Metformin anyway so I am sticking with it for now. Not a nice side effect for a woman though is it? I may worry about mine too if I lose too much.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Long term high blood sugars can cause hair loss as well.

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm presuming from your username that you're female..... There is some link between type2 diabetes and a condition called polycystic ovarian syndrome - PCOS - (both relate to insulin resistance). One of the symptoms of PCOS is hair loss - it's happened to me, started when I was about 15 and I now choose to wear a wig when I'm with company. I'm not saying you have PCOS but it's something to look at maybe. Good luck.

Reactions: 4 people

barbaraww

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I cannot believe just how kind you all are, made me quite tearful. I have religiously been sticking to my tablets and diet but have felt very much alone with this. Because I only have Type 2, I have had quite a few comments about my weight (BMI 31), and all my fears have been sort of not laughed off but not taken very seriously. I exercise constantly but have been unable to speed up my metabolic rate which I do not understand; I am 64 but with a metabolic rate of a 79 year old. Suppose I am just looking for a magic fairy to bring me enlightenment. Someone asked about BP tablets. I did and sometimes do suffer from high blood pressure but read an article "There are 12 hidden benefits of drinking lemon water" and find that if I have the juice of one squeezed lemon a day taken in hot water that it brings my BP down very rapidly. I have now also changed shampoo & conditioner to organic Avalon (obtainable from Waitrose £5.99), as I have been told to avoid any hair products which contain sodium lauryl or laureth sulfate - will let you all know if this works and also will definitely mention hair loss to my diabetic nurse at next check up/blood test. Thanks everyone, much appreciated and great to know I am not on my own!

Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes barbaraww, those comments about our weight are horrid aren't they? I have been so upset by them too, especially when some of the people who commented had a worse diet than me and would not ever walk a step further than they had to. My BMI was 43, but is now 40. Like you I struggle with my metabolism. I am starting to experiment with different exercises to see if I can help my metabolism improve, but tomorrow will be day 1 of that plan, so I am not sure how well it will work yet.

Since you are new to the forum, I'm not sure what your diet is like. I am sure reading your posts that it will be healthy because you seem very sensible and want to help yourself. Have you considered LCHF? There's lots of info about it on this forum and it has helped very many people. Do you have a meter to test your blood glucose? Again most of us find one indispensable because it means we can control our own diabetes. Some GPs will prescribe one for type 2's, many don't. I had to buy my own. The reason I ask these two questions is that if you are able to control your diabetes successfully yourself, you may be able to stop taking the Metformin (with your GP's consent) and then the distressing hairloss may stop also.

Also ask your GP for a copy of your recent blood test results. If there is anything you don't understand someone here will be able to help you (not me, but there are some clever people here)

Last edited by a moderator:

dia21

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I am relatively new to being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and have been taking Metformin 750g. Has anyone else experienced hair loss as my hair is definitely getting thinner. Any help would be appreciated please. Thank you

Hi,
However i am not suffering from Type 2 diabetes but i have good knowledge about it. Hair loss is a common thing in Diabetes due to stress and low immune system. In Diabetes when the pancreas cannot produce enough insulin to control glucose levels, or body cells become resistant to insulin.You must take a healthy diet with full of vitamins and proteins.

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi! I've had hair loss on and off (I go thru cycles especially if I have loss of appetite/not eating or if I don't take my vitamins) and what worked for me over the years is the use of this product called Phytocyane. It comes in a box and they have vials good for a month's use which you apply to your scalp three times a week. After three weeks you can see results already, new hair growth on the forehead and sometimes in my jawline if I'm not too careful with the application. :) tried and tested, works every time.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@barbaraww

What is the pattern of hair loss?

There are a number of different ways that people lose hair
Male pattern baldness (we have all seen this)
Women often lose hair over the top of their head (often looks like the parting is widening) and it thins, and goes drier and lightens a bit in colour - this is often hormonal, especially with PCOS or menopause
Alopecia often has patches, anywhere on the head, of total baldness. Lots of different causes, including stress.

Have a look at the pics on this page, showing the different patterns. Does anything ring a bell?

http://www.worldhairresearch.com/?tag=hair-loss-scale

I had a period of several years, in my 30s, when the hair on the top of my head when lighter, drier, coarser and thinner. Nothing I did to it helped. They later diagnosed me with a hormonal imbalance, treated it, and my hair fully recovered.

I'm afraid I've no experience of medication causing hair loss, so can't comment on that.