Type 1 rules we accidentally break :/

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hot ****! I remember pretty much getting to the "fitting" stage when I was about 10 years old? I was just up the road from my house on a bike & was heading back.. I could bearly keep my feet on the pedals... Just my legs were throwing what I called at the time an "eppi fit". (It was the late 70's.)
I just about managed to get through the door bypassing some confused "surprise visiting" relatives & walking like sweaty "goose stepping" zombie, hit the kitchen cupboard contents hard...
I never let that happen again..!

This reminds me of the need always to carry glucotabs everywhere, come what may. Your 'goose-stepping' description brought back the memory of trying to get home after, ironically, a clinic visit. I had to get a bus, but remember finding it very difficult to find the cash for the fare in my bag. I knew I was going hypo, but could do nothing about it, and had nothing I could eat. When the bus arrived, and I wobbled crazily to the door, I remember thinking that I was lifting my knees too high. So god knows what I was doing! Fortunately for me, the bus drive took less than 20 minutes and dropped me just outside my glucose-containing house.

v987gbl

What a great thread. I'm confused about the insulin in fridge scenario - I had an issue last year when my blood sugars were running way too high and amongst the advice that the nursing team gave me was that I shouldn't keep the bottle I was using in the fridge. I ignored the advice though as I've always kept it there and not had any problems before.

I re-use both my lancet and my syringes for extended periods. The syringe is kept in my fridge as my consultant told me I could do back 30 years ago. Who am I hurting, it's only me that bruises?

After 40 years as a type 1 diabetic, I still over compensate when I have a hypo

v987gbl

What a great thread. I'm confused about the insulin in fridge scenario - I had an issue last year when my blood sugars were running way too high and amongst the advice that the nursing team gave me was that I shouldn't keep the bottle I was using in the fridge. I ignored the advice though as I've always kept it there and not had any problems before.

I re-use both my lancet and my syringes for extended periods. The syringe is kept in my fridge as my consultant told me I could do back 30 years ago. Who am I hurting, it's only me that bruises?

After 40 years as a type 1 diabetic, I still over compensate when I have a hypo

Oh and I sit down and write all my results up, the night before my consultant's appointment - thank heavens for the extended memory on my Freestyle.

Jennie

T1 - HbA1c 7.8

Reactions: 2 people

catsbd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have my insulin and levemir pens in fridge. I have 'snack/insulin' amnesia sometimes. I forgetto change my pen needles and finger lancet gadget. I forget to rotate my injection sites.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Since reading this thread I have for the first time in 35 years started to change the needles on my pens and my lancet at the end of the day!! All these years and I only changed needles and lancets when they wouldn't puncture my skin. I know I know!

Reactions: 7 people

loliver1

I must be lucky as i am able to get enough supplies so i don't have to reuse needles or lancets and test as often as i need to- had to be persuaded to change injection sites due to problems with absorption of insulin my insulin is in fridge except one i am using i do record my blood sugars as i am preparing to possibly go on a pump and need evidence- would love to use an app for this so could the person who said about this let me know where / how to get it - thanks

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
OK here are the ones I break - I'm a type 2 with type 1 antibodies.

1. Change lancet only when it bends or breaks
2. Change pen needle not every time.
3. Keep pen needle screwed on - not as much
4. Don't wash hands before testing - not so much now
5. Do a rough dosage calculation - basically guess - not all the time.
6. Have a hypo test then treat sometimes don't test again just rely on how I feel
7. Don't carry glucose tabs anymore just guesstimate with raisin - I would end up eating the whole tube of tabs even though I wasn't low anymore
8. Eat extra fatty stuff because I'm on a statin

Bad diabetic, very bad diabetic

Reactions: 4 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The wait 10 minute rule after treating a hypo before testing again.

Who the heck thought that was a good idea? As if I am going to sit calmly twiddling my thumbs, watching the clock go round in the hope my blood sugar of 1.9 might just go up instead of down. It might be my last 10 minutes! Eat or drink some panic glucose to pass the time, that's my rule.

Reactions: 10 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh and there is an Andoid version too.:)

Edited to say :" or even an Android" Mine has some strange ideas of what I am trying to say ! :D

birchy66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh dear I feel like a real goody goody cos ( I think) I follow all the rules. My DSN threatened me with a spanking if I didn't.
On the odd occasion I have forgotten my test kit when I've gone out in the car for the day (very bad!!).

RHNtype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Days when my blood sugars do not work for me, HOWEVER these are now rare days as I have a pump after 33+ years of diabetes.
:bag:Hi, New to forum but type 1 for 30+ years, done the hypo overtreatment,done the teenage huffs that involved avoiding insulin or avoiding food and getting pretty ill.Also done the various ways of overtreating hypos through the terror of behaving weirdly in public due to a hypo.
Rules were quite severe when I was diagnosed so broke them all when younger but then cleaned up my act and had a family,LOL I think lots of us find motivation to stick with the rules when it might affect someone else, like our kids.
Still manage to forget to change lancets all the time, still test too often from the same place and still find myself tempted to play safe with letting sugars be a bit high rather than be embarrassed by having a hypo when out and about.BAD HABITS maybe.

nicky1327

Pretending I still have the needle on my pen and then jokingly slip and stab my girlfriends leg or work mates, it's not a type 1 rule breaker but it is funny, chucking the odd used needle in an empty bottle of pop and then chucking it in the bin

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I must be lucky as i am able to get enough supplies so i don't have to reuse needles or lancets and test as often as i need to- had to be persuaded to change injection sites due to problems with absorption of insulin my insulin is in fridge except one i am using i do record my blood sugars as i am preparing to possibly go on a pump and need evidence- would love to use an app for this so could the person who said about this let me know where / how to get it - thanks
We use the app BlueLoop for my phone and it's also https://blueloop.mycareconnect.com/default.aspx hope this helps - we love it!!

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The wait 10 minute rule after treating a hypo before testing again.

Who the heck thought that was a good idea? As if I am going to sit calmly twiddling my thumbs, watching the clock go round in the hope my blood sugar of 1.9 might just go up instead of down. It might be my last 10 minutes! Eat or drink some panic glucose to pass the time, that's my rule.
It's a really good idea, IF you can do it - it saves you from a big rebound and then maybe another rebound hypo after that. But I agree it's not that realistic. I only ever manage it on mild hypos. On strong hypos I struggle just to keep track of what I have eaten. I tend to leave all the wrappers in a pile so I can add the carbs up once I am functioning normally again.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think lots of us find motivation to stick with the rules when it might affect someone else, like our kids.
I second that. It's why I always carry glucotabs and a meter on me now, religiously. I never used to bother, I just had them at home, in the car and in the office, I thought that was good enough.